john deere 6140d August 19, 2013 12:58PM
LOOKING AT A JOHN DEERE 6140D TRACTOR CAN ANYBODY GIVE ME A REVIEW ON ONE THANKS

Re: john deere 6140d August 19, 2013 01:49PM
JUNK - Go with the M series. Transmission is not user friendly. A farmer bought 2 and traded them right back in on 2 M series because of the trans. Our local JD salesman then took one home to hay with. He hated the transmission. The D is a standard transmission and has weird shift pattern. The M has the Power Quad.

Jd 6140 M December 06, 2022 03:27AM
I have a 6140 m tractor. About 2300 hours with 24 speed transmission and loader. Loved the tractor until last week. Was spreading lime and chicken manure. Tractor running great, easy to operate, just a pleasure to drive. Tractor started coding out, low oil pressure and a few other’s. Quickly shut it down and called John Deere. They came out and took it to the shop. Today they called and said tractor is designed with two shafts running through the motor. One of the shafts broke, basically junked the motor. Can explain more if you contact me. They are telling me that I have the only one in the system that this has happened to. Don’t hardly believe that but maybe. Estimated bill to fix $33,000. Wtf
Please let me know if you have had any similar issues,

Re: john deere 6140d August 19, 2013 02:29PM
I can only tell you from running them at a pull, the M acts like a tractor I would want to use. The d and e series might be nice to play on but if you are working go to the M. I have no idea how much difference there is in price but sometimes price ain't everything and that is coming from a committed miser.

Re: john deere 6140d August 19, 2013 03:12PM
e series is good the m series has a hyd diff lock and if your operator does not know what he is doing it will take out the diff.

Re: john deere 6140d August 19, 2013 04:14PM
What are you going to do with the tractor.. The D will have an open center hydraulic system.. The smaller M's have the option of a gear pump with load sense.. (Open center with load sense.. PC pressure compensated system) or closed center with load sense.. PFC pressure flow compensated.. The larger M's will all have the PFC systems..
I think it's a 20-25% increase in price.. But a better hydraulic system.. power quad trans.. It's a much better tractor..

Re: john deere 6140d August 20, 2013 01:34AM
I have a friend that I work with very closely and he brought a 6140 ( I don't remember the series but it was the cheaper one). Worst tractor we have ever tried to use, Bad hyds (always getting hot), pto (terribly noisy) and this tractor was brand new , one of the worst JD tractors I have ever used. Made the dealer take it back and brought a 6430. Much better tractor. It's not a P but I believe it the next step down. It's a good little tractor and that's coming from a IH man.

Re: john deere 6140d December 06, 2022 04:15AM
Do not buy a D or E. I bought a brand new 6135E which is the 1st new tractor on this farm since 1960. I knew the E had less options than the M but was $20,000 less. I was getting used to it until we found out the hydraulics would completely go out on steep hills. My granddaughter was tedding hay for me, and I told her I would do the steep field. I'm glad I did, when I got to the end of the field the hydraulics went and I had no steering or anything. Long story short after working with my dealer and Deere they gave me a good deal on a 6130M and we love it. It's no tillage tractor but great on the sprayer and hay equipment. It's the go to tractor for those jobs. I have over 1000hrs. on it with no issues. Knock on my head.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520