Liner problems August 22, 2013 03:57AM
Guys I'm looking for your opinions. Have had liners fail on me this summer now changing supplier. I have about 8 runs on pistons and rings would any of you change rings with that few runs after installing new liners? If the rings are still in spec with the liners they should reseat themselves right?

Re: Liner problems August 22, 2013 06:05AM
They may work, but its the question we all face when putting this stuff together. What will cost more? a ring failing after assembly and buying one new sleeve and piston or and new set of rings now?

I have seen some worn looking parts make run after run, usually not my luck when I try it.

COO for OTTPA

www.outlawpulling.com

www.truck-specialties.com

Schaeffer Oil Representative

[www.schaefferoil.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2013 12:39AM by AV.

Re: Liner problems August 22, 2013 11:52AM
Your best bet is new rings. The used ones may seal ok, but not as good as new if done right. Phil @ REI used to make his sleeves with a corse finsh so the ring would bite in and seal better. $600 or less for rings? Not to act like $600 is nothing, but may be cheaper and better in the long run. If your new sleeves last all the better if the rings were fresh.

Re: Liner problems August 22, 2013 12:43PM
Does riverside have a website?

Re: Liner problems August 22, 2013 02:41PM
NO

Re: Liner problems August 29, 2013 02:01AM
Liner problems can often be traced to honing technique, accurracy of sleeve counter bores and piston skirt clearance. Careful analysis of the sleeves should reveal the root cause of the failure. When a liner/sleeve fails, the rings are often compromised due to localized heat altering the metalurgical characteristics of the ring (annealing). If you would like more information about what can happen to the rings and sleeves go to Qualityperformancecams.com and look in the Technology and Cam Science page at the Cylinder Honing section. It is a long read but lots of really good information about liners/sleeves and what happens in that enviroment. There is a printable PDF icon at the bottom of the page so you can print and read at your convenience. Hope this helps you resolve your problem

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,785, Posts: 229,971, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,049.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009