Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 28, 2013 02:21PM
Just wondering what NTPA member's are thinking of doing in the light unlimited mod class? Will they be going to 2 motor's or limiting some other way? I think it would be great to see them go to 6500 lbs and call it a 2 motor unlimited class. Thanks for any info

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 12:34AM
Richwine said on NTPAs website that they most likely would be limited to two motors next year but the weight would also most likely drop.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 01:36AM
the ntpa mod class's should be a 2 engine class at 5500lbs and 4 engine class at the present weight.. the ntpa should scrape the unlimited mod class. the ntpa should run the same rules that ppl runs for their mod class.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 02:28AM
Most of the potential pullers as well as pullers that have already run in the class that I have talked with would like to see the weight the same and go to two engines. There is also a proposal to leave the rules the same as they are and lock them in for the next 5 years. I have heard pros and cons on both sides of this issue and have heard that the board members are split on the issue. If you want to run the class in either configuration I would suggest going to the mod meetings at the Enderle. At the very least send an e-mail to the NTPA office before these meetings exspressing your views.

Todd Feiss AKA S'no Farmer

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 03:18AM
how can you screwup a class that should be simple to write rules for. didn.t the sullivans want to add to the moveable weight and the ntpa did away with any moveable weight, did the sullivans hook with ntpa at all this ,,,,no,,,there is no way the rules should stay the same,,,they are killing the class with the present rules,,, the rules are great if you wana have a class of 3 or is 2 mods every show. did doubl nuted lose a hook this year, no!!!!!! 2 motors and some state guys will show up only 3 pullers made all 7 hooks,,some national class...the class is a mess, so I guess the ntpa will lock the rules in for the next 5-20 years.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 04:53AM
the difference between 1st place and 2nd was an average 59feet... and difference between 2 and 3 was 62 feet... and the difference between 1st and 3rd was 121 feet,,and only 3 guys hooked all 7 exciting sessions ,great class!!!!keep the rules just like they are ....

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 07:29AM
Sounds like the old NTPA running off more people than they have brought in. A bunch of us size this class would not work when the rules were brought out but we were told we were idiots. Best saying about pulling is "worst thing for pulling is the pullers". What other series do the competitors get to make the rules?

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 09:17AM
No the Sullivan's didn't want to have the movable weight,that was in put in there by the powers that be as a safety factor. Then last year they said that they didn't think that it was necessary. The Sullivan's wanted to leave the weight the same and bring the class back to two engines. Did they pull the class...no and that was one of the reasons that they didn't,because it didn't get brought back to two engines. I also would have pre commited to the class this summer had they changed that rule but as it is my tractor fit the GN Mod rules better so that is what I did.

S'no Farmer

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 11:36AM
What would you like for rule's snow farmer? I would like to see where they start getting Allisons maybe DT 466's and other odd combo's. I like hemi's and or chev's but not when the whole class is just v8's. Maybe I'm just old school cause that's what we had years ago and the mod class was the class to watch. Also any combo could win!

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 01:23PM
Also a rolls royce can run with 3 chevys(8s) or 2 hemis

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 01:49PM
I like the idea of cutting it to two engines just from the standpoint of trying to get more tractors interested in running. As it is no one can or will spend the kind of money it takes to compete in the class. With the payout and number of hooks it is hard to justify. I don't have a proplem with other engine posiblitys,there was an Allison tractor that ran the first event last year at Tomah.

S'no Farmer

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 02:18PM
I think they need to have two motors with 14-71 . Three motors with 8-71

Doug

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 06:08AM
Maybe we should limit every high performing engine down to a level that anything can compete LOL. Limit Hemi's so the Big blocks can still win....Please this makes no sense. The shows across the pond really don't look all that appealing either. IMO some of those machines don't really look like a GN level machine. I'm all for using a different combo than a stack of Hemi's but, don't punish those who don't choose to run them. Again, I'd love to see someone make an Allison work, or a Rolls, but not at the expense of someone that already has a good working combo

Re: Allow turbines August 29, 2013 02:12PM
If they go to a 2 engine limit, which I hope they do, then I would also get rid of the ban on turbines in the class and allow 1 T-64 or 55, maybe 2 of the 53s. Since it would technically be a "limited" class, then the fear that someone would show up with 3 t-64s is moot. Let them run. It could help with numbers.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 07:03PM
My idea would be look at the Light Modified class over in Europe.

There they can use 3 Chevy style engines, 2 Hemi style engines, 1 V12 (any brand), 1 star engine and 2 turbines.

It is a hell of a class and they weigh 5500lbs!

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 29, 2013 07:34PM
That would be better then what they have now but the v8's still seam to dominate. NTPA need's a class where Hemi's don't rule. That to me is why it is and will die.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 01:57AM
Outlaws has had it figured out for years. Good variety and numbers in the class. This year the champion will be a twin hemi, last year it was a turbine, the year before that it was 3 chevys. The Rolls Royce and the DT 466 have also won a championship in the past and everyone of these 5 different combinations won a pull this year. Worked so well NTPA copied these rules for regional pulling.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 02:44AM
I agree with that statement. An Allison has not won the championship in about 10 years and not won a hook in 3 years. Outlaws has looked at different things like giving the Allisons EFI. One turned the V12 on its side and made and inline 855 cubic inch 6 cylinder and it is starting to show promise. Maybe going to give them a v-8 chevy to go with it or allow 2 Allisons with restrictions

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 02:26AM
That is spread out pretty good but the single Allison is not even close to fair in the outlaws. Think they need to be able to run a twin allision with maybe air restriction's or something.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 07:34AM
The class needs vehicles specifically built for that class, not ones where you just take a motor off to compete in it. No other class is offered more than one hook,but it seems that some want to be able to hook all 3 mod style classes. BORING If you want more tractors built ,you have to be able to distinguish them from others.Variety is what the class needs.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 07:47AM
When will your tractor be done then? That's right your not building one just like everyone else. You all talk about the old days of pulling where so great and blah blah. But remember the 5,7,9, and the 12,000 lbs mod class where engler, freeman, banter and so on ran in every single class with the same tractor, they just added more and more motors. That was awesome to see and watch back in the day, so don't act like we need tractors built for a certain class cause we don't some fans enjoy going back in the pits and watching guys add motors and go pull again that night. Even the super guys ran 2 or 3 weight classes back in the day with the same tractor.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 11:03AM
The outlaw mod class almost has it figured out to where almost any tractor can win which from my stand point from the crowd is impressive. They have had quite a few winners this season but the twin hemis have showed dominance from a spectator stand point I love going to a pull and seeing a very competitive class where anyone has the ability to win. The single engine Allisons are done in outlaw no matter what they give them they can't make the power everyone else can. They should allow twin Allisons, just look at the Nebraska bush group 1 hemi vs 1 Allison the hemis there also show dominance. It would be a pretty good show if you threw in a twin Allison tractor maybe 8.1 factory blower and housing with fuel injection I don't believe it would show dominance at all I think it would make for a fantastic show.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 11:31AM
I agree the outlaw's mod class rule's would work great if they allowed the twin Allisons to run. They could pick up maybe Bollinger's and there are a few other twin Allison's that would pop up. Also some turbine's. Maybe a few outlaw tractor's would show up here and there. I hope the NTPA look's in to this. If they really want this class to go this would be the best option. The pay need's to go up being the cost to maintain the tractor's and fuel price's.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 11:06AM
I would rather see a final drive restriction on the light unlimited mod's. That is going to be the only way you can possibly get Roll's Royce, Allison's, V8's, Turbine's and unlimited super stock motor in the class and anybody would have a chance to win. You would also still be able to call it unlimited being it don't matter what you have for motor's as long as your final drive is no faster then say 80 to 100 MPH depending on where the mod board would think it would work best. It would be easy to police and a simple fix. Also I have pulled in this class and would again at select pull's if they did something like this.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 02:12PM
Define easy to police, please.
You ever done tech work?
Say a feller with Franklin's gets "teched" and has his 4.6 gear set in the planataries, how "easy" is it to make sure he didn't change to his 4.0 set?
What ratio's are available for the Mercedes planets?
Is there only one ratio for the Cat 966 or compactor planets?
Harder to change, but the JD skidders have more than one choice also.
Are you going to check rev limiters also? Say an Allison dude wants to turn his 4000 rpm? Does he run same ratio a sensible Allison dude runs his?
Some hemi fellers think 9000 is a lot, some are trying for 10,200 or a tad more. Same ratio?
Final drive limits suck.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 30, 2013 03:00PM
It take's 1 jack under 1 rear wheel put tractor in gear slide back the drive line shield count the turn's of the drive shaft x that by 2 there is your final drive. I would not use RPM limit's. If the Hemi's alway's wins start slowing down there final drive or what ever type of engine. Yes the Allison will only turn 4000 RPM's so the final drive will be faster then the v8's but when you do the figures it will still add up to a certain mph. An easy figure is a v8 @ 7000 rpm @ 23 to 1 is 62 mph an Allison @ 4000 rpm @ a 12.7 to 1 is 62 mph

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 31, 2013 03:14AM
Wouldn't you divide by two since the differential action speeds up the driveline?
Remember, Mr. "It is simple to tech" the driveline is now a driven component, not the driving component.
Some associations can't get enough tech people to check kill switches, and you are going to tie up two techs running around the pits with a jack and a calculator?

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class August 31, 2013 05:47PM
Dennis, you mean like the way you can tell the difference between Lt. Pro,limited pro,pro,super farm? Not to mention all of the versions of hot farm and farm stock. If you can pull your SS tractor in the Lt class and the heavy class why should I not be able to hook in more than one class? Part of the problem with all of pulling is that people are not willing to spend what it takes for what the payout is. Who can build or is willing to build a new tractor for a class that does not pay a lot and hasn't got a lot of hooks and then not be able to hook in more than one class?

S'no Farmer

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class September 01, 2013 07:48AM
Todd ,all the classes you mentioned can only pull in there own class .,And if a light super did pull in the open class it would be as a class filler ,not being competitive at that level.On the state and region levels you see any combination of vehicles to fill the class,Is this really fair to the fan who may only get to see a couple pulls a year ,.I don't think it is. The Light Unlimited can be one of the best classes in pulling, IT needs more variety in engine combinations,and as in other GN classes should have minimum competition standards for that class.Yes all of pullings classes need more money,whether it comes from the fan,sponsors,promoters,? But the puller has to be able to offer them something they cant see anywhere else. Not the same tractor they can see at the state,region, or even a brush pull.

Re: Whats the talk on the light unlimited mod class September 01, 2013 01:13PM
My point about all of the different diesel tractors is that the fans in the stands can't tell the difference from one class to the other. When the sled is set properly they all go about the same distance and go fast. As for getting bored I would say this...I can watch The Color of Money go down the track in the Lt class the see it the next night in the heavy class at a RN event and not be the least bit bored,I would rather enjoy it! If you don't allow some tractors to pull at different levels the classes will be very small...is that good for the fans? I feel like the Feissty Farmer can put on a good show in the Lt unlimited,the RN Mod as well as the GN Mod and is good enough in all three to have been in the top two or to have won, that should keep some fans interested. In the same way the Color of Money can put on a good show in both the heavy and the Lt classes.

S'no Farmer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,781, Posts: 229,963, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,045.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009