My take on Gordywanna February 07, 2021 11:33AM
This is just my observations on the Thurs. and Fri sessions. My opinion comes from someone who has been a spectator for over 30 yrs., a promoter/pull organizer for over 10, and a puller for over 10 yrs. I haven't been to an indoor pull since Fort Wayne hosted back in the 90's??, so I may be a little out of date, but here is how I see it.

First the good:
I think Klint and his crew did a phenomenal job, the track prep was exceptional, cycle times between hooks were very good, the guys running the tow tractors and the telehandlers moved the competitors in and out quickly. The young lady unhooking, believe her name was Laura or Loren, I chatted with her for about 10 minutes on Saturday, very impressed, she is very knowledgeable and very passionate about this sport, and unhooking that heavy chain all day, she is TOUGH too!! The Sled operator, only missed the setting on one class, very smooth operator, very aware of the track maintainers and the smoke tube crew. The facility was extremely comfortable on Thurs and Fri, I was not expecting to be able to watch in comfort in shirt sleeves, and even in the pits if you wore a coat it was comfortable.
The P.A. system wasn't great in our section on Thurs., but they made some changes on Fri which made it better.

The room for improvement areas:
Can a smoke tube be put on the Alky tractors to vent the fumes outside??
If the mini rods are going to continue to be a part of the show, is there a way to get rid of the fumes???
Why was the Little Red Hooker allowed to run???? Even though its only a 4 cyl. man it makes alot of smoke resulting in down time waiting on smoke to clear.
I know the 3 improvement areas may be more environmental/ spectator comfort but lets face it, without the fans, the sport ceases to exist. Its just as important as good food, cold beer, and decent bathroom facilities.

I was only a spectator at this event, but after being there Thurs. and Fri., given the chance I would load up in a second to go pull.good

Please feel free to comment, as other viewpoints are welcomed

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 07, 2021 11:59AM
Adding to Ohio case`s comments, I didn`t think the fumes from minis or alkys was even an issue, Never got a whiff all weekend. The smoke was bad when the tube broke or the hooker ran yes. The hot staging area could be bigger, if they brought them in thru the next door down and moved that fence back to that point, you could almost just bring them in and drop em with out the backing in of everyone. Going around outside from the pits to the track is a problem, gets sloppy out there sometimes! At gordy, you were always inside during the pull. my 2 cents. Loved the new place otherwise!!

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 07, 2021 02:01PM
Ohio Case to answer your questions on getting rid of fumes, Dennis, the owner, already talked to his contractors and they are installing exhaust fans throughout the trade show building starting Monday. Also, the reason the Lil Red Hooker is allowed to run is because Kevin sponsors the mini rod class.

Brent Yaron
Hooked Up Pulling Productions
hookeduppullingproductions@gmail.com

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 07, 2021 02:31PM
"Kevin sponsors the mini rod class." sure is a great reason that he alone can cause everyone in the building to have respiratory problems.
Yep, sounds like a really valid reason to let an extreme smoke belching diesel to pull without a smoke tube setup.

Glad to know that apparently ventiliation fans will start to be installed tomorrow - Buurrrrr, bone chilling work, to work with steel. That should have been done almost 2 years ago, after the NTPA pull, when it was already spring time.

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 07, 2021 11:39PM
Man, everyone has to complain about something.......geez this gets old. You complain because of the fumes, then you complain because there is a plan to deal with it, then you complain you'll be cold because of the plan, then you complain it should have been done two years ago. Good grief, just zip it already. Be happy there was even an indoor hook to attend.

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 08, 2021 12:27AM
The exhaust fans were scheduled to be installed before the NTPA event in March after the last event NTPA was held mainly because of the alky tractors. There were no other motorsports events in the trade show building (all of those are held in the coliseum because they have the exhaust fans already in place). They were not expecting the Midwest Winter Nationals to be moved to the MEC which is why they were not installed prior.

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 08, 2021 01:08AM
Are you kidding? I had the smoke tube blow apart 25' in front of my face Saturday, and it still wouldn't touch the amount of fumes I get exposed to at ANY outdoor event I go to. Fans will help, but one pass through there without it from a TINY engine and OH BOY forget it all. The aggregate exhaust from the support equipment running in there all day is far more emissions than Lil Red Hooker.

CP

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2021 01:31AM by cpr.

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 08, 2021 02:24PM
I was there Thursday and Friday it was a great job. No complaints from me was nice to get out and see our pulling friends. Hats off to all that pulled and the people that worked sponsored the show. Thank you so much..

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 08, 2021 09:55PM
Here my take 10 mins from my house late nights not mush sleep at all hanging out with the #pullingfamily at the Hotel every night an making new friends hope it happen here again next year.But I want to say a big thank you to Klint an his wife an the hole western crew how you guys welcome me in to the crew maybe 1 day I come out to a show an see you guys but it felt so nice to be at a pull.

Re: My take on Gordywanna February 27, 2021 01:43AM
my take..... first off , thanks to Klint and the entire crew for perservering with the event. as many road blocks that were tossed up in front of you, you could have easily pulled the plug.!!
from the time we pulled in to the parking lot, where we were directed to park our rigs, to getting registered and numbers and passes, everyone was so very nice and cordial. the entire crew worked great,!!
the facility was such an improvement from gordyville, big pits, 300plus track, real modern bathrooms, and HEAT!! as a spectator, made watching the pull very enjoyable!!as a puller, we had a great time!! was like a big family reunion after last year.
the town of shipshewanna was very much enjoyed by the ladies in our group, with all of the shops and stores .face it boys, aint much to do in gifford, or rantoul.
I hope the event was a success for the whatssmokin crew, and myself and our crew...we had 6 in our gang, we would love to see this be the new home of the midwest winternationals. wouldnt even mind it if the date stayed a bit later, to get away from the brutal january cold. if it goes back to gordyville, we will pull there too.
it was amazing to see so many people able to adjust plans at the last minute, when the postponment came up, 3 weeks is not a lot of time for some folks to change plans. i know i have never made motel reservations 3 times for one event!! lol.
lets hope this summer gets us back to a more "normal" season of pulling. Stacy Butson, Butson Brothers Pulling Team.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,726, Posts: 229,858, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,084, Posts: 225,981.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro