cheater or innovator September 19, 2013 12:19PM
I once read in racing if the rules don't say you can then can't but in pulling if the rules don't say you can't then you can. Meaning the rules are open to interpretation. Which leads to my question if the rules would state you can't do something but you come up with a different way to achieve the same results is that cheating or just being innovative. For example if the rules state Non turbo but do not say anything about having to be naturally aspirated or no forced air induction and you were to put on a pro charger or a super charger you would technically be legal by the letter of the rules and not cheating. So I guess I'm just looking to see how the rest of the pulling world sees it. Thanks

Re: cheater or innovator September 19, 2013 02:14PM
What are you smoken that is not even an argument.

Re: cheater or innovator September 19, 2013 03:23PM
Non-turbo actually means NATURALLY ASPIRATED and that is the intent. Go ahead and spend your money and you'll be found out at the first Pull event and be DQ'd. I saw a guy in Iowa once who thought he could hide a turbocharger on a 2-cyl Deere diesel in the fuel tank, but you know, the whistling noise and HP gave it away. He was a genius too !!! Only exception here might be an old 2-cycle GM Detroit diesel that has to have a super-charger to even run, but that's different than what your trying to do.

Re: cheater or innovator September 19, 2013 04:56PM
In my opinion, non tubocharger means just that. NO TURBOCHARGER. Plain and simple. Put a belt driven supercharger on it. You should be fine. Too bad if some else does not like it. If the rules were to state NO FORCED AIR INDUCTION, that would be a different story.

Re: cheater or innovator September 19, 2013 05:38PM
Way too many rules being written buy those that cannot think past their nose.

If the rules say non turbo, that would pretty much cover the natural aspirated....as tractors ain't supercharged anymore. Anyone that thinks they can read more into it than that is blatantly desperate and delusional. A rule that says no turbos, AND does not say forced induction is allowed. means "NATURALLY ASPIRATED. Any IQ>80 and you should have no problem understanding.

Some rules say Turbo charging is allowed, supercharging is not allowed, That means "Turbo" period. And no you cannot use your belt driven radial compressor, as its totally covered in the first sentence.

I've never witness such any venue where the rules of pulling seem to be written by preschoolers, I know these children need to be exposed to political bickering, but so Young.

Year after year the same rulesget screwed up worse than the were last year.

Is their no one in these organizations that can handle the job???????

AAANMNNNNNDDD. The Tech Interprets the rules, Not the pullers

DOES NOT SAY YOU CAN/ / /DOES NOT SAY YOU CANNOT They actually are rather ambidextrous. They both do not allow anything. They are not a secret code for those enterprising cheaters that are trying to receive immunity, after they get caught cheating.

Re: cheater or innovator September 19, 2013 11:21PM
The non turbo thing was just an analogy if the rules say one thing but you can achieve similar results by going about it a different way and playing in the gray areas is that cheating or being smarter than the competition? Secondly to carry out my initial analogy a little further if someone wanted to bring a Detroit powered Oliver and pull in a non turbo class by definition shouldn't that be legal.

Re: cheater or innovator September 20, 2013 01:59AM
It's almost impossible to write a set of rules that does'nt have gray areas. Here's a quote from Robert's Rules of order 11th edition "any presiding officer will do well to bear in mind that no rules can take the place of tact and common sense". Using the example above, can you really say you don't know what the rule means. I don't see people that spend a lot of time looking in that gray area as cheaters or innovators, ( most of the time ) they're just trouble makers.

Re: cheater or innovator September 20, 2013 03:19AM
Those GM-powered Olivers will not run with out that blower because it is exactly that, a blower. Even though we call the superchargers on mods and twd trucks "blowers" they are different because they build intake manifold pressure. The Detroit-powered Olivers do not build boost, or a least noticeable boost, because the blower is used to expell the exhaust and bring in fresh intake air, The window of time for this is very short in a 2-cycle engine, so the blower is needed to get the engine to perform properly. Without it, those engines would be absolute dogs and to ban them outright is wrong. But if you put a turbo on it, then all bets are off and they should run in a class that allows turbocharging.

Re: cheater or innovator September 20, 2013 01:17AM
I was looking at rules for 2 different pulls and in both of the ones I have the classes are listed as " NA " I dont see any room for interpretation.

Re: cheater or innovator September 20, 2013 03:14AM
Pretty much in the example given, (and for that matter any example) if the rules do not say you can't, all will be fine and dandy until you start winning. Then there will be a rule to clear up what was not originally written. I know of a supercharged tractor that ran in a non-turbo class for several years, never won, everyone knew about it, and all was fine. Same class had a guy put a different engine in his tractor than it came with, He asked about it at the rules meeting and everyone said "sure go ahead" Then he started winning, 3 pulls into the season, he was banned from competition. So really in tractor pulling, as long as you don't win, you can do whatever the hell you want to do!

Re: cheater or innovator September 20, 2013 03:12AM
And this, folks, is why lawyers get paid what they do to write up legal contracts. Someone, somewhere, found a loophole, so they needed to use more words than any normal person should have to use, just to close a loophole and make the intent of the statement be the ONLY way to interpret it. It should be noted, however, that most rules include as the first or last line: Judges decisions are final. That makes the judges, and more importantly their interpretation of the rules, able to supercede all rules, especially gray areas.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,781, Posts: 229,964, Members: 3,339.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,046.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009