What's variety (with example)? August 04, 2021 02:02AM
Is "variety" in the eye of the beholder? For example, last week, Ft. Recovery had a class lineup I'd not seen before (and very successful, btw). They ran Regional Mods and Unlimited mods in the same session.

The Regional class of 13 had 4 aircraft tractors (a turbine, a radial, 2 twin allisons); the V8s included several with the twin hemi 14-71 setup, but also triples. I think this is correct that the triples included triple hemis w/8-71 (Jostock), chevys, and even triple fords (Jerew). By any definition, that would be variety.

Meanwhile, the unlimited class had 11 (+1 on Saturday when Barga came).
On the one hand, there was one aircraft and the rest hemis. However, to me one of the interesting things in the unlimited class is the mix of 4 and 5 engine (or 3 engine for Corzine) using different combinations of 14-71s, 18-71s, and screw blowers. That may not be variety in terms of different types of power plants, but it certainly is in terms of how they are utilizing those power plants.
(Announcer suggestion here- when announcing this class, research and tell the audience what blowers the tractors are running, and make part of the appeal the challenge of these guys trying to make different combinations work.)

Meanwhile, over on the PPL side, the variety comes from Barga and Walsh x 2. Three triple turbine tractors, everyone else runs hemis with 8-71s. However, even that is variety as there are aircraft and piston engines at every PPL mod hook.

One final point- the LLSS class had very nice brand variety.... but the Friday session was meh when half didn't run well. On Saturday, as a class they had much more representative runs. Meanwhile, the DSS was all IHs with one JD. Even though there wasn't much brand variety, the class was much more exciting on Friday due to the high HP and getting it to the ground.

Maybe variety is more than sheet metal or 8 pipes vs 12 pipes, depending on perspective.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 08/04/2021 02:57AM by The Original Michael.

Re: What's variety (with example)? August 04, 2021 02:27AM
The other issue in GN Mod and Unlimited is the Mitas tires. Any tractor that doesn't have them is 20-30 feet back with the same horsepower. Those tires make a huge difference in those class.

Is Mark Cole running hemi's?

Re: What's variety (with example)? August 04, 2021 04:27AM
Mark Cole doesn't have hemis. Front 4 are Stg 2 AJPE 481X, back is AJPE BBC.

CP

Re: What's variety (with example)? August 04, 2021 04:34AM
I love the mix of motors (allisons, turbines, chevy, ford, tank, or whatever). I think the mix brings excitement to the pull. In 2018 PPL was in Memphis. The picture below was taken before the Barga's ran their triple turbine. I watched the crowd stand to watch. Look at everyone with their phones. You could feel the excitement.

_SA_2038

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,697, Posts: 229,796, Members: 3,329.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,950.

Our newest member CBeard