SB JD trans lubricating pump October 14, 2013 04:04AM
Wondering what the best way is to lubricate trans. I am using a 4020 syncro rearend, Atlas 3 spd trans. Hot farm 466 class, thinking about using stock trans pump, just wondering everyones thoughts are, Thanks

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 14, 2013 05:08AM
Is this a complete three speed trans with all new gears as straight cuts and new top & counter shafts? Or is it a kit to replace stock 5th and 7th and 8th?

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 14, 2013 05:23AM
No its the trans with staight cut gears etc

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 14, 2013 12:34PM
If the gears that go on the pinion shaft (bottom shaft) have brass bushings in them, you probably don't need the OE lube pump. If the top shaft is cut to accept the OE lube pump drive, then I guess you could run it.

We have run a Beckett three speed for three years with no lube pump, and those bottom gears have the brass bushings. Make sure bottom shaft is covered in oil as your gauge (at least half of lower gears covered in oil), the straight cuts throw a ton of oil around in there to lube bearings and such.

Just my $.02!

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 15, 2013 02:40AM
Make sure you have about .022 to .025 clearance total in the pinion shaft gears/shift collars. We have run a GMS 3 speed for 10 years with no pump with the oil half way up the lower shaft. Never had a problem.

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 15, 2013 03:20AM
Thanks for the info. I take it as you want .022-.025 end play on lower gears and collars total. Also whats a good oil to run in it?

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 16, 2013 11:52AM
I run a pump and think its a good idea, it pressure feeds the pinion shaft pushing the gear oil out between the gears. You can also rig up a tube to feed oil to the front top shaft bearing. There are plenty of people running without with no problems, I just feel its a little extra insurance. If its a GMS or Lemke they say use 85-90 gear oil.

Re: SB JD trans lubricating pump October 15, 2013 12:19PM
Shell Spirex

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009