low crop prices October 19, 2013 04:41PM
I know the rule of supply and demand...but what are farmers going to do when the price is so low we can't cover costs, or make some payments? Yes last years prices were not the norm, but 4.00???? Come on! We need at LEAST 6-5.50 to cover costs and make some payments. Don't know of too many that don't have payments....

Re: low crop prices October 19, 2013 06:55PM
You need not worry with all your free money, you'll survive.You ball up grow some stones and deal with it just like any other professional operation, run by a businessmen.
You take all your welfare money and add the insurance the taxpayers are forcing down your throat. I must apologize for the exorbitant and ridiculous amount of funds that you are being forced to spend on toys that you really didn't need.You may not be able to lay around L'ville drunk all week, but you will survive that too. If you find that there is a pulling vehicle with a NASCAR operation transporting it and you find your self unable to survive the peer pressure of buying it-------- Just call 1-800-Zippy. They will immediately find a weather anomaly that will cover enough of your faux pos damaged grain to cover any thing your hearts desire.

Re: low crop prices October 19, 2013 07:45PM
Sorry, I do not drink, have never been to Louisville, and do not own a big smoke blowing puller. Newest tractor is 1974...I keep the older ones running myself, and have bought maybe 3 new pieces of equipment in my life. My govt free money will be 2400.00...my ins. costs are 5500.00...to which I will reap back about 1800.00 of that because of poor bean yield. My corn yield is expected to be excellent, but will not washout with 4.oo or less corn. Not everybody is involved with FSA payments either. Have a friend who takes out no ins., wants noyhing to do with govt. He will not make enuf to cover inputs either. Sorry, I do not have the answer to this problem, but there has to be something....Wish I could find an 8-5 job with a steady paycheck and not worry about what I might get paid the next month, but they arent't there in my area, at least I'm not finding any.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 01:29AM
I would like to see "tax payers" face when his pay check is cut by 40% and you have to budget you life around that for a year or maybe 2-3 years. Now he may qualify for food stamps like the farmer may use some government payments or not. I am a farmer. I do have a stock farm puller. I don't carry crop insurance because it has never worked for me. As a business man there is no way I can grow corn next year if input costs are at the current cost which this year was paired up with $7.00 corn and we get $4.40. I don't care if you grow 20 acres or 20,000 it wont' work! I hope I can cover the payment on my 1997 used combine and the crop inputs for this year. Tax payer have you ever been to a country that can not grow it's own food? Try it some time and you will appreciate what you have here to eat and those who have provided it for you. From the farmer to the person who prepared it for you. Good luck with your 40% pay cut ! Hope you will survive ! Oh by the way I pay taxes too !!!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 02:14AM
FarmerTaxpayer...that's exactly what I mean....it won't work! Looked last nite at next years futures at a local elevator...oct. price was 3.32!!!!! I know thats a long way off but it's damn scary to thihink that thats what it could be. May as well not plant anything, save the inputs, borrow input money and buy corn from elevator and keep it stored and hope it goes up later-just like buying stock in the stock mkt. I knew last years prices were not gonna be that way this year, but hey, maybe 5.50-6.00? There needs to be a support floor ...something like a guaranteed minimum wage. Here in Wisconsin last year when the state cut out state employees benefits you should have heard state workers bitch! They said they were "entitled" to that."Entitled"......how the heck do you figure that????? Pay your own ins. out of what you make.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 07:28AM
are you serious?!? there needs to be a price floor so you guys can be guaranteed to make money or at least not lose too much? I've heard it all now. my business isn't like that, never seen one that is i don't think. Farming is going through the same thing every other business does when it gets way too many suppliers and not enough buyers. it needs to be subject to this, it's a way of self regulating. take away the risk (or a good portion of it) and everyone will be in it. then where does the money come from to pay you guys $6 when the market says it should be $3? they have to borrow borrow borrow and that's what's wrong with the gov't today.

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 08:55AM
Agreed
FarmerTaxpayer...that's exactly what I mean....it won't work! Looked last nite at next years futures at a local elevator...oct. price was 3.32!!!!! I know thats a long way off but it's damn scary to thihink that thats what it could be. May as well not plant anything, save the inputs, borrow input money and buy corn from elevator and keep it stored and hope it goes up later-just like buying stock in the stock mkt. I knew last years prices were not gonna be that way this year, but hey, maybe 5.50-6.00? There needs to be a support floor ...something like a guaranteed minimum wage. Here in Wisconsin last year when the state cut out state employees benefits you should have heard state workers bitch! They said they were "entitled" to that."Entitled"......how the heck do you figure that????? Pay your own ins. out of what you make.

This what makes farmers lowlifes. Jerks like you. The state workers do pay their own insurance. IT IS PART OF THEIR PAY! That is the job the applied for. You are a farmer and paying your insurance is part of your pay. You are a business man. Sky is the limit for you and going under is the other limit. The state workers made a set pay and there is a limit. Sky is not the limit for them. Their risk is low and should be because they do not have the potential reward. They should have been entitled to their benefits because that is the deal they made. You can negotiate input prices and selling prices. Your pay went down 40%. It could have went up 40%. Then what? Would you give some back? Are you saying everybody should have the same benefits and pay? Or only if somebody has something more than you that it is wrong? Do you want a minimum wage as a farmer that would put you in the same condition as a "city person" making minimum wage? Then farmers say if you think farming is so great you should be a farmer. That is out of reach for so may reasons anyway. If the sate workers had it so good then why aren't you a state worker? Many state workers in WI are not living high on the hog and they did have good benefits because take home pay was not as good as in non state jobs. Point the finger. The other guy is no good. I am special. That is the whole problem with this country. Everybody thinks they are special, more important, more deserving, and of course more holy.

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 01:42PM
Banker
Agreed

This what makes farmers lowlifes. Jerks like you. The state workers do pay their own insurance. IT IS PART OF THEIR PAY! That is the job the applied for. You are a farmer and paying your insurance is part of your pay. You are a business man. Sky is the limit for you and going under is the other limit. The state workers made a set pay and there is a limit. Sky is not the limit for them. Their risk is low and should be because they do not have the potential reward. They should have been entitled to their benefits because that is the deal they made. You can negotiate input prices and selling prices. Your pay went down 40%. It could have went up 40%. Then what? Would you give some back? Are you saying everybody should have the same benefits and pay? Or only if somebody has something more than you that it is wrong? Do you want a minimum wage as a farmer that would put you in the same condition as a "city person" making minimum wage? Then farmers say if you think farming is so great you should be a farmer. That is out of reach for so may reasons anyway. If the sate workers had it so good then why aren't you a state worker? Many state workers in WI are not living high on the hog and they did have good benefits because take home pay was not as good as in non state jobs. Point the finger. The other guy is no good. I am special. That is the whole problem with this country. Everybody thinks they are special, more important, more deserving, and of course more holy.

First of all there is a support floor. It's $2.05 for corn. I said that need to be raised 10 years ago and the response I got from fellow farmers was this. "Who is worried about that now?" And banker, if you forgive any debt like your counterparts did in the 80's, I am coming after your arse.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 07:17AM
what I don't understand is that for some reason a lot of farmers thought that prices were actually going to stay that high. they got on here and argued it would because the gov't was buying corn for ethanol. seriously how much corn do you think they are buying? everyone and his brother got into row cropping, now a huge crop this year and guess what supply and demand get back in line with each other and the bottom falls out of prices. what happens to these guys that were paying $250+ for unirrigated land and 3 times that for irrigated land? I guess we get to go to their farm auction and buy back the equipment for half of the ridiculous prices they've been paying for it.
one farmer actually told me he wanted a year like these so all the new wanna be farmers would be forced out because this business model of so many people getting into farming all at once wasn't sustainable. looks like he got his wish.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 01:58AM
We are you so bitter about the world around you?

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 05:54AM
Im getting into the MAILBOX PUTTING UP BUSINESS ! As they say , big time farmers got 2 mailboxes for the WELFARE CHECKS they get from the WORKING taxpayer ; oh wait should I explain working + taxes ???

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 05:59AM
how much cheaper do you think you can buy food and have an industry survive. i'm amazed how everyone wants cheap food and the people that grow it should be kept to a minimum income.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 02:36AM
E I, E I, O. Guess you don't know how to budget do you. If the last 3-4 years corn and bean prices have been unusual then you used the wrong numbers,
but you'll cry until you get a bail out, or complain what a risk farming is, or you can't control the weather, then want pity. You wonder why people think farmers are
unintelligent.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 03:02AM
prices will control some out of control land rent and purchase prices. im looking forward to watching some hi fliers get the shake down

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 03:37AM
I'm offended by what a lot of you are saying. I have spent the last 30 years of my life used to a certain lifestyle. I buy what I want when I want it. You cannot expect me to just change how I do things because prices are down or you don't think I am entitled to my government payouts. I spend a lot of time in the spring "putting out" a large crop , so that when the fall comes I know I will get my check. It doesn't really matter what happens in the middle, I am not supposed to manage this chit, just make an effort. Thank goodness that is all that is required. Mr Teat Puller, I would like to say that I have nothing to do with your land rent, I inherited all my land from my Dad and Grandfather, thank goodness they were go-getters. It's hard living this lifestyle and keeping it my image, If I am not able to purchase at least 2 new tractors next year, then the whole county will be talking about me "in a bad way" and I don't know about you, but I just can't handle that.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 02:18PM
All real business's have to be flexible and change as needed to survive. You don't think that somebody like Cummins is still around because they have stayed the same. No they went out and changed to survive. You can't be like a bird flying into window and keep doing it and expecting a different result. I'm a electrician and have to change what I do all the time to keep working. Sometimes in the same day to make it through. Have went from working on working on near billions house to a asphalt plant in the same day. Have to to be able to roll with the punches. The rest of the.world has to change all the time to keep up with with all the regulations and business climants. Most of the farmers would not last 10 minutes in a place were there every move can be fined buy ten different government agencies. Last big job I was on was a 14 story hotel. I the same week the general contractor was fined buy OHSA, department of health, police department, and a couple other people for dummest stuff like the out house being dirty. Then you can be one of the subs and have the only guy that knows what's going on in a area and ha e him throwed off of job because he had danger tape setup 4 inches to close to a hole that turns out wasn't even deep enough to require it. Then just seen this one last week. Turner Constrution one of the largest construction firms in the US is now not going to let ladders on jobs anymore. All work has to be done off of lifts or have a danger work permit that has to filled out daily and takes about 30 minutes to fill out. Anything over 6 foot height you ha e to have a safety tested safety harness on. Since the ladders are a safety issue the jobs that are already bid and are working can be required to have this rule. Think about the cost if you have to find 100 lifts to do the job and the cost that was just added to your job that you wasn't planning on. Everybody has it tough not just farmers. A lot of people don't realize what happens to other trades and the vs that goes with it.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 03:19AM
Last year was $7 corn and 120 bushel yield for me. This year is $4 corn and 250 yield. My math says I will do ok. Have a '97 combine and newest tractor is '90. Just like any business, whatch your costs and save for some upgrades. Over the last 15 years I have received $16,391 from the government.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 03:29AM
now u crop farmers will know how us dairy farmers have felt the last couple of years u guys have been out jacking our rent and now u guys can keep paying your high rent on $4 corn I think the word is karma

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 03:49AM
I heard of a cash cropper paying $400/acre for rent. What was he thinkin? You know the corn price is gona come down sooner or later. Those big guys are wreckin things for the small dairy farmers.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 07:08AM
Believe it or not a large farmer in my area offered $950 rent on a quarter section and was turned down! The owners instead opted to rent it to someone paying a more normal price, nice to see a high roller have a slice of humble pie!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 07:27AM
I gave up on corn and beans 8 years ago now I grow pot, one plant is worth $100000, I now have have 4 smokers building number 5 the hell with the government and their free money!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 09:31AM
What other business can you buy insurance to protect your profits from by management & Mother Nature? Farming should be just like any other business, if you suck at it, you should fail. Money management is the same for anyone. No one should expect to make the same profits year after year & be guaranteed those profits. As a businessman you have to save $$ for bad times, not blow it on pulling tractors, new equipment, cars. & trucks then complain about down markets. If you don't like farming, swap occupations & get a dose of the real world.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 11:58AM
Dave and Tax payer: Your are funny guys!! You must like pulling or be a puller or you wouldn't even be on this site!!!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 12:16PM
What's so funny? What's funny is how the American farmer whines about commodity prices & how they can't make money. Farming is a business & farmers should be left to fend just like every other small business in this country. Laugh it up.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 02:51PM
Dave you need to set back and relax a bit. You must have gas from all the corn chips and cold beverage made from grain you had during the football game. You poor boy!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 12:50PM
Well I like to eat so THANK YOU farmers.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 01:02PM
our land rent has extremely went up the last few years due to grain farmers fighting for more. $600+ per acre for rent or $10,100 per acre to buy.

Hard to pencil those numbers in my book!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 01:04PM
14,500.00/ acre around central Iowa.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 02:04PM
What is there to pencil? You either get more efficient or get out. Do you think the government sent support checks to your local mom & pop store to keep their doors open when a Wal-Mart went in across the street? It is just business, not a right!!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 08:09PM
Only 7 days in a week and most have part time off the farm jobs

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 02:45PM
Not trying to stir up a s#@$ storm but hopefully it will kind of reset the norm. There are thousands of acres in our area that was cattle country until prices went so high on corn. Everybody jumped on the bandwagon and killed their grass and planted corn. Bet they are wishing they had it back in grass because cattle are very high because not so many cows out there now. It wasn't that long ago when corn was at this price so why does it blow everyones mind that it could get back to this price. I'm sure that cattle will go down again when everyone goes back to cattle and the population goes back up. The farmers that haven't went nuts and blew the money in the good times will be just fine. The ones out there trying to big wheels will have to start over. It is called the circle of life.

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 04:02PM
By the Grace of God and good luck I sold my 30 year crop operation and switched to cow-calf 3 years ago. It's still been tough with the cost of inputs, but I'm doing just fine. Hang in there everybody. We've all been there before. The best cure for high prices is high prices. The best cure for low prices is low prices.

Re: low crop prices October 23, 2013 02:36PM
Wow, Seems to me if all you '' Farmer Haters '' are so jealous of what they do you should become one yourself. After all it is so easy anybody can do it and get rich enough to build a Smoker!

Re: low crop prices October 20, 2013 04:14PM
ok, enough b.s. Most people like to eat and someone has to grow it. Unfortunately the government controls too much of it. Everyone awaits the planting report, crop condition report, exports,grain usage and carry over. All govt reports, anyone want to guess how the prices are set? Land and rent is too high right now, and is due for a correction. Prices are lower now not because of demand or lack of usage...it is because the government is expecting an all time huge crop. Part of crop insurance is supposedly subsidized, but if you are self insured do you really pay any money out? Most of us buy crop insurance but never collect. It's like buying healthcare insurance, you hope you don't need it. Now the cost of production is out-of-control. Machinery,fertilizer,seed corn and beans, and rents. Most of these expenses has gone up 100-600%. Some of that has to do with the low value of the dollar. Demand and good returns is the other half. Unlike the town dwellers, our property TAXES has gone up 100% in the last 5 yrs. Now health insurance will double and then some. None of these expenses can be passed on by the farmer to the end user or consumer. Farming is the only business that has to buy retail and sell wholesale. Farming has the lowest return for the amount of money invested and carries some of the highest risk. Most people wouldn't take their life savings and bet on it raining. Remember this..on the eigth day God created a farmer.

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 12:33AM
yeah, on the 8th day got created a rancher... no susbsidy of any sort for that poor fella. Rides the wave every year with know check coming in his mailbox. just prays for rain so his cattle can graze!

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 02:19AM
You don't think other people have cost go up? You would not last in construction where you prices are guaranteed until you hang up the phone. A few years ago the local paper printed what all the farmers got in the area and it was in the millions for most. Go bid a job that will take 4 or 5 years to do and Anne you bid it you hope if your the lowest bidder that the cost don't sky rocket between now then then. Two years ago there was only one copper mine open in the world the rest were closed due to strikes, war and politics. Then have the prices go down only to have them go back up when obummer just gave the copper, gold, lithium and, silver up when he did a total pull out of Afghanistan. But doing that the Chinese are now getting all the stuff after we made the sacrifices of the war not deep any of the benifits.

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 03:03AM

I gave up on corn and beans 8 years ago now I grow pot, one plant is worth $100000, I now have have 4 smokers building number 5 the hell with the government and their free money!
Yeah, but all your "smokers" sit around giggling and get nothing done all day! LOL

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 07:09AM
RD3....This is more like it these days!!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4sFinzABnk

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 10:28AM
No balls is someone doesn't hack into the NFMS and broadcast that during every pulling session. NO BALLS

We need Snowden in the AG businessHotHot

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 08:17AM
Not every state or every situation is the same. As far as taxes in my township in WI we pay $4.35 an acre for our farmland. That is a joke and we will be paying almost no state income tax for all our income because we farm some. Not just on the farm income all our income. So any WI farmer that complains about taxes is a jerk. That is part of high land prices for us because everybody wants to buy land as an investment because we almost pay no taxes on ag land. Our wooded land we pay $20-$30 taxes and make $100 every 30 years. Tree farming not so good. I think this is all funny. Poor me I am a farmer. Most farmers these days are jerks. They would treat non farm people like crap and expect the "city people" to feel sorry for them. Farming is a business when times are good and when they are bad somebody help me. I am 100% fine with that, but don't belittle or act like you are better than any other person in need like somebody on unemployment or food stamps that does not want to be either. For 30-40 years in WI we needed about half of the dairy farms that their were. The gov helped them so most stayed going. Should we have let them go under and loose their farms that now made rich grandkids? Should we pay GM to build cars and crush them on the end of the line and start over just to keep people working? Any farmer would say that's crazy. Any more so then to have payed farmers to produce what we did not need? The bottom line is don't point, treat others, don't think you are special.

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 02:40PM
Banker
Not every state or every situation is the same. As far as taxes in my township in WI we pay $4.35 an acre for our farmland. That is a joke and we will be paying almost no state income tax for all our income because we farm some. Not just on the farm income all our income. So any WI farmer that complains about taxes is a jerk. That is part of high land prices for us because everybody wants to buy land as an investment because we almost pay no taxes on ag land. Our wooded land we pay $20-$30 taxes and make $100 every 30 years. Tree farming not so good. I think this is all funny. Poor me I am a farmer. Most farmers these days are jerks. They would treat non farm people like crap and expect the "city people" to feel sorry for them. Farming is a business when times are good and when they are bad somebody help me. I am 100% fine with that, but don't belittle or act like you are better than any other person in need like somebody on unemployment or food stamps that does not want to be either. For 30-40 years in WI we needed about half of the dairy farms that their were. The gov helped them so most stayed going. Should we have let them go under and loose their farms that now made rich grandkids? Should we pay GM to build cars and crush them on the end of the line and start over just to keep people working? Any farmer would say that's crazy. Any more so then to have payed farmers to produce what we did not need? The bottom line is don't point, treat others, don't think you are special.

I don't think I am "special". I never have. But I have a question for you. Why is it that you keep loaning my money to other farmers that are trying to put me out of business? And here you only give me .2% on my savings account and you charge the guys that are trying to put me out of business 5%. And now they can't pay the interest or the principle. Now since you know so much, why did you loan it to them in the first place? No wait, I bet you are not a REAL banker.

Re: low crop prices October 21, 2013 08:11PM
Duh ya think maybe not he/she is a banker?

Double DUH October 22, 2013 01:31PM
Duh
Duh ya think maybe not he/she is a banker?
To answer your question, no I did not think that and that's ok.

Re: low crop prices October 24, 2013 12:32AM
So how many of you people go to work every day and wonder what you are going to make. Not very many! Ya prices have been up the last five years and so have the inputs and now the prices went back down but the inputs for this years crop were already priced and will not follow. So its just OK for that to happen? All you people think and hear is high grain prices and that the farmers are getting rich.We are just taking more risks and paying more taxed and we really don't make anymore! Don't get me wrong, farming is a way of life that I dearly love but its not all peachy.So go ahead all you whiners, go get a job with an unknown income,start a business with high inputs and low income. You don't see a excavation company doing a job and than letting someone else tell them what they are going to pay them now do ya?

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 05:22AM
Everyone is mad because farmers get a kickback from the government when they apply for programs........what I think is worse is giving $ to bums that collect disability and can actually work, women who keep pooping kids out just to collect a check to buy cigs, and giving foreign aid to people in other countries that can't help themselves. You don't see Russia or Africa sending money to help the homeless here?????????

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 06:01AM
Tax Money
Everyone is mad because farmers get a kickback from the government when they apply for programs........what I think is worse is giving $ to bums that collect disability and can actually work, women who keep pooping kids out just to collect a check to buy cigs, and giving foreign aid to people in other countries that can't help themselves. You don't see Russia or Africa sending money to help the homeless here?????????

I agree with this, but I'm sorry when you start taking government handouts you get lumped together with all the rest. I work everyday, a full time career and at my own startup business. I don't get government handouts when things don't go my way... Last year the corn price was double what it normally was. Instead of the farmers useing what they normally would have got for their crops for thier "business" and stashing the rest away for a rainy day most of them didn't. They got greedy, they payed over inflated rental prices for land they didn't need, bought bigger equipment, spent on seed they otherwise wouldn't have and guess what... The price went down, big surprise... So us small business owners don't want to hear the crying. We work every day too, we pay to much property tax (Not cut rate ag property tax), We pay tax on all the supplies we need to do business ( no tax exempt for us), We have to pay higher wages to our workers (not the ag minimums), We pay higher workers comp insurance. And yet, when things don't go our way the government (all tax payers) don't come to our rescue... So, WE don't want to hear it!

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 06:28AM
Do you feed the world. Bottom line, no farmers no food. Then you will say they have toys, the
y buy stuff with tax pairs money. So farmers are suppose to be slaves for the world and not have nice things.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 07:07AM
I work for a deere dealer....If I dont go to work, your green combine wont combine corn, so we will starve without dealerships huh? See it takes all sorts of people other than farmers, but you wouldnt see that would you because you are the only one that matters.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 07:27AM
I do know that everything works in a circle. Deere dealer, fuel guy, seed guy so on so on. If you really work for a dealer think you should be on the other side of the debate. Farmer gets money farmed buys equipment from you. Then you get money. The circle of life.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 03:24PM
exactly.!! how many have children getting reduced school lunch? government funded food?? I think so! face it, the percent of income you spend on food is the lowest in the world. not every farm gets mailed checks from uncle sam. crop ins is a choice not a requirement and most farmers I know don't collect on ins. you say you want imported food? you are ungrateful to have agriculture in the US? wipe out the ag industry and see what happens to the economy. it affects people more than they think.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 07:46AM
get a life
Do you feed the world. Bottom line, no farmers no food. Then you will say they have toys, the
y buy stuff with tax pairs money. So farmers are suppose to be slaves for the world and not have nice things.

This is the biggest line of BS I hear! Oh, but we feed the world... There is more food that we can use, that's why the price is so low! No one will care if some of you go out of business. When the supply of said food gets back to a reasonable level, the price will go back up. Like the deere dealer said, no tractors no crops, no fuel no crops, no seed no crops, no ________ you fill in the blank no crops. You are so self obsorbed that you can't get it. You think you are the only one that matters, so we should get on our knees and thank you, thank you , thank you for feeding us help less people. So from what you are saying, if I quit my job, and close my business and live off of the government subsities (welfare) am I any different than you?

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 11:09AM
Feed the world???? Try saying that with a mouth full of cotton!!

When is the last time you saw a pilgrim eating an ear of field corn or a bowl of soybeans. If you farmers would just try living off your own crops you'd starve. See the farmer needs the pilgrims just as bad as we need them. Your products would rot if it were not for all those fools that don't get showered with gold, that process your products into food. Your products are just a commodity starting to rot until the food industry bails you out, and creates the food. See raw materials are available world wide. Just look on the back of your BIG tractors and tell me where the tag says it was produced. Why should I care where I get components to produce food, if you don't care where your shiny new struttin rooster came from?

What's really sad is, the American farmer believes that the pilgrims are too stupid to know they're robbing us blind. We are not .By the looks of this topic the farmers better start looking into the mirror, because the rest of America knows your a fraud. With out us pilgrims you would still be tilling ground with a stick. You cannot continue to strut around like you have and not be noticed. Your charade is going to come to an end, I just hope you can eat your toys, because the " world" is the ones that feed America, Not the American farmer. Knowing the chemicals and drugs you feed your products, makes me accept foreign food all the more. When you won't eat your own products, the rest of us should avoid it like the plague. Brazil, Argentina, Canada, Australia, and all the rest of you, Bring it on. I'll eat your food.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 12:55PM
Just a thought. How is foreign oil working for you? I bet you b5tch every time you fill your tank. Imagine depending on foreign food. Scary right? Hey not all farmers are bad people. I farm and I am very grateful to get to work with my family and enjoy what I do for a living. I hope my kids get to do the same. You are right there are a lot arrogant entitled filling people out there. But think about no American farmer, No john deere dealers,no case ih dealers, no agco dealers. No more seed companys, or ag retailer. New ford sales will hit rock bottom. No more fuel sales or tire sales for the local ag community. Insurance companys will lose accounts on home and farm owners policy. The list goes on and on. How many people did you put out of work with your foreign food? Who knows we all might be happy staying home playing with are p4t4r. I doubt it though. O and yes I feed my kids beef that I raise with my corn. See it is all a cycle. If you want to be mad about high prices be mad at the grocery stores there are the ones sticking it to you.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 02:32PM
I have only a few things to add.
One monkey don't run no show. If 50% of the farmers go broke you can rest assured all of the land will be farmed next year.
Farmers are their own worst enemy, you are the ones driving up the cost of farming. Farmers are no more or no less cut throat than any other business.
We are at the same place we were in the 80's and a lot of you will go broke.
The government could care less if you survive as a farmer. the governments goal is to have cheap food prices.
With all of the people we have on entitlements the cost of food has to be cheap as the government is paying for a lot of it.
If you farmers can farm 15000acres with one combine and three tractors and two employees, the government can do the same thing.
The government can rent buy equipment and hire labor just as you can.
The rise and fall of prices will force more out and the ones left will be bigger and fewer in numbers.
At some point when the number of farmers is low enough the government will take it all over.
as they will everything else.
Just as freezing and thawing forces the week rooted plant out of the ground, so does the extreme highs and lows in any business.
One thread said farming is the only place you buy retail and sale wholesale I somewhat agree but: Farming is the only place you can sale all you can produce.
I used to be a farmer. If I won the lottery I would start again and farm until that is all gone.

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 03:00PM
sO ??FOOD??, If you want to eat food from Brazil, Argentina, Canada, Australia, etc., then MOVE there! If you are so sick of the way things are here, get the hell out of here and enjoy the good life elsewhere. Everyone can debate this subject until the end of time, but to everyone down on farmers getting Ag. subsidies,tell me something, who are the people that draft the Farm Bill and set the guidelines for the FARM SUBSIDIES us farmers receive? It certainly is not farmers dictating this policy. It is YOUR Congress that sets the guidelines, the amounts paid and where it goes to. The same congressmen and women that YOU voted for! My gosh, you do vote don't you? If you do not vote, then you have no room to complain. Oh and to you ??FOOD??, you stated that the American farmer is a fraud and by your post you would make me believe that you would sooner buy "components" from somewhere other than right here in America. HMMMMM, that doesn't sound very "North American" of you. But then that's because you'll be moving to Brazil soon, right? Be sure to let me know how that "Cotton" fed Brazilian beef tastes!

Re: low crop prices October 23, 2013 05:16AM
Or a semi runnin down the road with BLAH BLAH FARMS on the door , runnin red fuel and payin no taxes on it

Re: low crop prices October 23, 2013 04:32AM
What ever happens I'd rather see farmers get the government $ instead of it going to "bail out" programs and the higher ups getting the $. Back pay for congress while they are sent home????? come on, thats not right! At least farmers will put the $ back into circulation buying tractors, trucks, etc.....

Re: low crop prices October 22, 2013 03:26PM
if u think u spend too much of your hard earned dollar on food move to japan they spend twice the amount then we do or move to a third world country that don't have any food

Re: low crop prices October 23, 2013 03:44AM
I was always taught the ag industry is on a 7-year swing. Interestingly enough, 7 years ago, I had to get out of the ag industry as a service provider because I was unable to put food on the table for my family, on a very meager budget mind you. My family was classified as living in poverty by the gov't but we didn't receive any financial assistance. Why? Pride and yet we still knew we were better off than a lot but still knew plenty of college kids who earned more than me. Yes, we know what eating raman noodles for 2 meals a day for months on end is all about. Life nor the ag industry is a "one size fits all" scenario.

Just a thought, but are we now seeing that the pendulum has swung and we are no longer living in the time of plenty? As mentioned above, it isn't a bad idea for everything to even itself out. I just wish all goods and services producers, ag industry or not, the best of luck because we need them all.

facts October 23, 2013 04:33AM
Here some facts for the idiots who think farming is a joke.

Average Income spent on food in USA- 6%
Average Income spent on food in other countries- 9%-40%
Number people in Ag-related jobs- 23,000,000 people

Also like stated above, you elect the officials just like farmers, and farmers make up 1% of the population so you do the math and then farmers get blamed for government programs. Do we need subsidies? no will we ever need them? maybe. And to the Pullinfan4255 there are plenty of farmers that work on their own combines granted we need parts. To the "??FOOD??" person you sir are an idiot, all of those countries Argentina, Brazil, Canada, Australia use the same technology, genetics, and processes that the USA uses to farm. I would agree that when they say farmers feed the world its not accurate as it takes a lot of other processes and distribution to get the food to their mouths, But remember farmers started it and government helped it grow to what it is today.... we can still bring out the horses and farm 50 acres and feed ourselves but what good would that do.

Re: facts October 23, 2013 06:40AM
Idiot am I?..... Hardly... NO sir your afraid that people like me will continue to educate themselves to the blatant excesses with the current Ag situation we are being forced to pay for. You are resorting to name calling, threatening the folks with, we wont farm and then see how you like it. I have news for you, the land will be tilled and planted one way or the other. If I cannot eat your not going to eat either. You fail to comprehend just what will happen if you tried to force your will on the masses. No,it's you sir, that really needs to get up to speed on just where your place is in the world.

Ag related jobs,MY FAVORITE...... Interesting, AFTER ALL they're your numbers in your lame attempt to badger someone. To keep in perspective, 30,000 farmers( your numbers).."23,000,000 ag related workers and not one GETTING any AG welfare. AND....the real funny, is the farmers claim that the grocery stores are the ones that are ripping us off. Stop by a local privately owned grocery and ask to speak with the owner. Tell him your a farmer and ask him is he would share with you what his margin is, that he has to live on, or get out. There aren't many left, and thatch what is going to happen to you, if this continues. You and your ranting about me being an "idiot" should then start show you who is the "idiot" even to someone with your complete lack of knowledge of just what it takes to feed a world.

As far as " dear??food??", My foreign oil was doing just fine until your lobbyists finally got deep enough into the politicians pockets to mandate we put your damn ethanol in our fuel. It's driven the cost of fuel high, it's dropped the mileage of our vehicles, all so you could find another way to increase your handouts. All the while causing every non farmer to give you even more money that you don't need.

What is happening has been going on for centuries. The big dog convinces you, (the small farmer) that it is in your best interest that you support him. You become his little pit bull. He lets you do all the name calling, making the threats. Making crazy threats about what he can do if he flexes his muscles. He warns if you don't fight this together you are doomed. See he's using you to feed his addiction. Eventually you will fall ill or have a loss in your operation, Then the big dog scoops up your operation and his welfare checks continue to climb, but you the small farmer still just gets your 2500.00 a year. OH, But, hows your new job working out at car wash? Because you my friend the small farmer's days are numbered. TOO bad you cannot see it coming.

As I've said before, it's the pilgrims that will eventually put the hurt on American farming. If the farmer were to attempt to retaliate against the folks, what's to say the 23,000,000 Ag workers would just tell you to serve your own food to the other 300,000,000 people.

Anyone that has even a clue about farming knows we are a food importing nation. We are getting our food mostly from imports, yet the farmer claims if it weren't for them we'd starve. See we are already making arrangements to feed our people. There are many other options and while you were shining aluminum and running to the bid dog engine builders we were having a barbecue..

The modern day farmer can not even serve our own people without a bribe, or welfare, there about 7,000,000.000 other people that live outside the US that have life expectancy's equal or better than ours. See we will get our food, whether it comes from Brazil, or from a soldier driving the tractor.

If our society, for what ever reason, takes a dump, find food will not be our immediate priority. When those that are left, they will have solved that small inconvenience of finding your food to eat.............but wait, your food is really being converted to fuel and thousands of other non edible items. No mr farmer sir, you are not feeding the
population of the USA. And if it ever comes and you try to control the folks with food, they will just dump you in a ditch and eat your cow.

NOW if you are having a rough time and can prove it we'll gladly make an attempt to save your family farm, but the burden of proof , of need,will be on your shoulders to verify. Wouldn't that be fair? A lot of farmers will abandon farming the nano second the free ride stops. And a lot will stay. All I'm saying, is, if your so dedicated to feeding people whats with all the, no free money, no food?

Re: low crop prices October 23, 2013 04:35AM
The truth of this discussion is simple. NOBODY feels sorry for crop farmers right now! Not after they cashed in the last 5 years. Nobody ever feels sorry for someone who owns a pulling tractor either!

Re: low crop prices October 23, 2013 05:18AM
Or a semi runnin down the road with BLAH BLAH FARMS on the door , runnin red fuel and no taxes paid

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.
Website Statistics
Global: Topics: 38,763, Posts: 229,927, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,023.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM