JD 4430 Quad Failure October 22, 2013 11:55PM
We have a 4430 that runs 3000 rpm hot farm. 3 times in the past year and a half the output shaft in the Quad has sheared in half, causing damage to the top shaft in the tranny.has anyone had this issue and does anyone make stronger parts to stop this? would like to keep the 2 speed option vs the 3 speed tranny.
Thanks

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 23, 2013 01:17AM
leave me ur name and number so i can contact you. i have a cure for what u are asking about. it has worked for me the past two years

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 23, 2013 10:58PM
I would appreciate your help. 802-578-2807. Thanks, John

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 25, 2013 01:56AM
Also broke top shaft and would appreciate some info on how to prevent it. Thanks Mike 920-210-6466

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 25, 2013 03:21AM
You guys that broke the stub shaft, have you had anyother trans issues? You guys running an underdrive or overdrive quad gear set? I just had the the high range pinion and shift collar go on my 3000 rpm tractor. Never had issues with the stub shaft, I probably would had if the gears didn't break first.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 25, 2013 04:11AM
On ours, when the output shaft breaks, the sudden change in torque causes some of the teeth to shear off the gears on the top shaft.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 25, 2013 01:14PM
It was in a early 30 series quad with overdirve gears

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 25, 2013 04:28PM
Actually I believe the high range pinion tends to fail first, then when it binds up from the broken teeth it twists the input shaft off. I have seen high pinions wrecked without the input being broke, but have not seen the input broke without high pinion being gone too.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 26, 2013 02:56AM
kta is right. normally the high range pinion will crap first thus causing a sudden lock up causing the stub shaft to twist. i had mine twist at tampico last year and was fortunate enuff that the hi pinion did not malfunction. my beleif is that the reason why the hi range pinion breaks is because the syncronizer drum blows apart under all the stress and then the pieces fall into the hi range pinion gear on the top shaft and the counter shaft and wreck everything. i made a reinforcement collar out of tool steel for my hi range syncronizer drum and pressed it on the drum to help hold the drum together over the splines. i then made a solid input stub shaft out of the quad range to keep it from twisting. i did away with the hex drive shaft and powered my tranny pump with a small hydraulic orbit motor mounted to the rear of the tractor. i am driving the pump thru the center plug hole in the rear of the tractor where u remove the hex shaft. this set up has worked well for me for two years now and i run a 466 with a P pump and intercooler with a 3x3 charger weighing anywheres from 11,000 to 13000 lbs and running d3&4 with 30 series quad gears and having no problems yet.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 26, 2013 09:45AM
I saw one that had a broken high range pinion and a broken syncronizer drum. Which one happened first I am not sure. I believe another thing that causes the high range pinion to break is the front bearing housing on the top shaft. This housing positions the front bearing back in the transmission a few inches and the three ears that bolt this to the front of the transmission case are very light duty. When the high range pinion has a lot of pressure on it, I believe this bearing housing flexes and allows the the gear to come out of mesh slightly and this places all the stress on the ends of the teeth. We make this bearing housing out of billet steel on our 3 speeds which is much thicker and stronger than the stock one. I believe that installing one of these billet housings helps the high range gear live a little longer even on an otherwise stock transmission.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 27, 2013 01:07PM
steel brg housin and straight cut gears will help along with the overdrive two speed gear package, I have beefed up the syro drum , no problem

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 28, 2013 10:51AM
nick.
I have a 4430 that we are putting a 466 in this winter I would be interested in seeing your set up. what are you running for a cooling fan? I found a set up from a bus that seems like it should fit, not sure on the cooling cap.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 28, 2013 12:55PM
g man, i am actually running an aluminum radiator that was custom made for a race car that fit perfectly in place of the factory radiator. i am cooling it with an electric fan that i bought out of JEGS magazine. my cooling system holds 4 and1/2 gallon.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 28, 2013 01:23PM
a chrysler mini van fan and shroud from a junk yard fits very well on the stock radiator

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 30, 2013 12:43AM
If you want to put a "P" pump on a "A" pump block, call Columbus--they can fix you up with a "P" pump that will bolt on your block.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 28, 2013 12:52PM
Nick, your adapter and hub setup sounds great. I,ve had thoughts of switching to a P, but haven't because of the block machining or changing to a P block. Is this something you would consider making for someone else? If so, I would be interested. PM me if you would like to discuss this further. Thanks, Jerry.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 28, 2013 01:11PM
You can easily put a P3000 P pump on a old style block. You just have to drill and tap 4 new bolt holes and turn your P pump bearing housing down in the lathe.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 26, 2013 03:13PM
that's funny I have seen you run in a pump classes with side shields

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 26, 2013 10:14AM
Instead of using a orbit motor to run your trans pump, Why not have a short hex on the back of your top shaft?

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 27, 2013 02:09AM
to mister, because the trans pump has to run at all times for clutch pressure, which is why it was coupled to crankshaft from factory. the top shaft only spins when clutch is engaged. if you were to hook it up the way u stated when you depressed the clutch pedal the top shaft would stop turning thus causing the hex shaft to stop thus causing you to have no clutch pressure to activate ur clutch pistons on the permaclutch. the tranny pump has to spin at all times. we tried dc motors and all other alternatives, but the trans pump turns harder than a fella thinks.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 27, 2013 02:16AM
this is addressed to another deere. ever heard of switching pumps to run different classes? i do it all the time. its not rocket science. i have an A pump for mph and A pump open classes and i bolt a P pump on when running in the BOB hotfarm class. and the side shields arent for hiding anything, its for the safety of you and the rest of the people watching.. do you really think that the guys at tampico dont know the difference between an A and a P pump? it was the first thing they checked when they checked my rpms. have i answered your questions now??

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 27, 2013 03:01AM
So u plug your bolt holes and move or studs to change pumps all the time? U must be hard up to pull.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 27, 2013 03:29AM
yes, as anyone who knows me knows that i love to pull. and i cant compete with the 6030s in the P pump open class here in southern indiana, so i put my A pump back on. unlike you i do all my own work so it doesnt cost me a thing, so changing pumps out is not that big of a deal, only about an hour and a half. and to answer ur question, i have made a 3/4 inch thick adapter block that bolts to my A pump holes and then has the P pump bolt pattern on the flip side. i then machined a special step drive hub for the front of the P pump to move the gear back into the correct location on the cam gear. i was not a big fan of machining my block out just to fit the P pump on it and i knew i would be changing pumps back and forth so i came up with this solution. moving the P pump back 3/4 inch caused problems with the stock filter base so i then used a filter base and valve off a 4960 and moved the filter back 2 inches to where i dont have to remove the filter to change pumps out. its been working real well for me and i have my injector presures set to where they will work decent with the P pump but maximized with the A pump, so therefore im not changing injectors all the time. as i said before, i do all my own work so it doesnt cost me thing, i even check my own tire presuures, as you probably pay someone to do. please sign ur name, im curious as to who im talking to. i will be happy to answer any of your other dumb questions. feel free to ask to see the side shields off next time ur around, i will be pleased to show anyone my setup.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 29, 2013 05:24AM
And ur the dumb on for spending 5000 on a junk 3lm charger, So who is the dumb one now NICK.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 29, 2013 06:18AM
ok, please stop hiding and sign ur name. i really have no clue what you are talking about. i run a 3x3 precision hotfarm turbo. please explain what you are meaning by a junk 3lm 466 turbo for 5000.. i havent run a 3lm466 for close to 8 years now. please elaborate your statement to help clear up some confusion.

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 31, 2013 11:31AM
ya at Montgomery the was one other tractor there even ran

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 29, 2013 02:40PM
you are right you are not competitive in either

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 29, 2013 11:19PM
another deere, in an earleir statement u said you have seen nick run in the A pump open classes, how well did he do when u seen him run? i seen him get 2nd place at both tampico pulls this 2013 year, a first place up there in the fall last year 2012, a 1st and 2nd place at columbus this year 2013, and heard he got a 2nd place in the pulloff at montgomery turkey trot this fall 2013. these were all A pump opens. i also looked on BOB website and he had a couple of top 5 finishes in the hotfarm class with them. what do u consider competetive? how well is ur track history this year and last? dont dog a man behind a computer

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 30, 2013 12:17AM
yeah another deere, where did u finish when u pulled against him? anytime he finished second in A pump class he was beaten by different color, not a green one, so it would be nice to know how many feet you were behind him

Re: JD 4430 Quad Failure October 31, 2013 01:34PM
THATS WHAT I TOUGHT YALL WOULD SAY

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009