Steering system November 07, 2013 01:00PM
Building a V8 minirod and wondering what to use for a steering system. Don't really want to run a manual rack. Is there a pump and cylinder setup or something that guys are using or something else? Thanks for the help.

Re: Steering system November 08, 2013 05:42AM
I used a boat steering helm and double action hydraulic ram on my 10,000 lb tractor and it works great even with 1000-1200 lbs of weight on the front.

Re: Steering system November 08, 2013 07:52AM
about how much did that setup cost?

Re: Steering system November 08, 2013 10:23AM
if I recall right I believe the hydraulic cylinder was $250.00 and $500.00 for the helm. On the cylinder, the ends are drilled and tapped for 3/4 fine thread so all I did was make my own adapter to adapt it to a heim joint and then I bought a universal drag link kit and built my tie rods with heim joints on each end. Now its not going to steer like your car or truck but it works a lot better than rack and pinion for me and my tractor. One advantage is if your front tires are off the ground you really cant over steer it to easily which helps keep it more in line coming off of a wheelie. I have noticed a lot of guys do is mount it up in the dash and hook the steering wheel right to it, I mounted mine up in front of the tractor to eliminate the length of hoses that way you don't have to bleed as much out with shorter hoses. Some guys love it, some don't. For me it works great. hope this helps.

Re: Steering system November 08, 2013 11:01AM
A steering set up from a JD garden tractor works well too. 318,322,420 etc.... 150.00 on Ebay

Re: Steering system November 08, 2013 04:26PM
Do you need a hydraulic pump for the 318 or 322 system or how does it work?

Re: Steering system November 09, 2013 09:49AM
Any automotive power steering pump will work.The foreign car with separate reservoir works better and is a neater job.

Re: Steering system November 09, 2013 04:06PM
Was really hoping to find something without needing a hydraulic pump

Re: Steering system November 09, 2013 04:49PM
Manual rack will be lightest system to use. (Except for rope and pulleys).
Hydraulics will be heavy without a pump.
Maybe a tiller steer? Not roto tiller, just a lever with a rod going to spindle control arm. Then a cross tie rod. 1/4" all thread ought to do.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,639, Posts: 229,705, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520