Axle cutting November 17, 2013 07:46AM
Other than a torch, and without removing it from the housing. what would be the preferred tool to get a nice clean cut?

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 08:26AM
Go rent gas powered saw. Looks like chain saw with cut off blade used to cut steel pipe
Will cut it off in a min. Can use water to keep cool if you want

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 08:32AM
The last one I did I set up a bench type cutoff saw (abrasive) on a temporary table under the axle. Had to turn the axle as The blade on the saw was not big enough to do it in one cut. A lot less heat and much neater than a torch. If I remember correctly (this was a long tome ago) it took two or three blades in the saw to get the job done.

S'no Farmer

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 08:56AM
I use my electric band saw and block it up.

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 10:02AM
6" THIN CUTOFF WHEEL MOUNTED ON A 4" GRINDER, AND ROLL AXLE.

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 10:38AM
I have used all the listed methods. A torch works best. Use a number 4 tip and practice out at the end. Steady cut and a cold wet rag when yo
ur done.

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 10:59AM
Chopsaw with an abrasive wheel works well. Keep turning the axle as you cut. It leaves a nice clean cut.

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 11:11AM
Bobby.
Would a portable band saw work? What blade if so?

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 01:12PM
Use a 6'' cut off wheel and finish with a saw zall with good metal cutting blade. I have done a few like that only takes a few minutes.Clean it up with a portable grinder.

Re: Axle cutting November 19, 2013 11:14AM
Yep! I went the husky demo saw route had my son slowly turn the axle as I cut,took seconds, beveled the edge,now looks factory

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 01:16PM
just use a chop saw like someone said, tried portable band, took forever and didnt get anywhere, fired up the chop saw and cut both off in less than a min. plus it does a nice clean cut, only thing i will ever use again, very simple and quick

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 02:44PM
Just clamp chop saw to axel and cut it off. MACK

Re: Axle cutting November 17, 2013 04:41PM
Hire Sven to do it so you can run the video camera!

Re: Axle cutting November 18, 2013 07:09AM
I used a chop saw the same one we have had in the shop for over 20 years now. I just cut and turned the wheel as it cut looked perfect when i was done. I was only cutting a 3 1/4 axle and did use a couple blades it looks like a machine shop cut

Re: Axle cutting November 18, 2013 02:05PM
Sven is the only one that can cut axles, Sven where are you???????

Re: Axle cutting November 18, 2013 09:09PM
Sven is in trouble. His health care was cancelled by obamacare. He will only work for cash now.

Re: Axle cutting November 18, 2013 03:16PM
I have had very limited sucess with a abrasive chop saw. They cut too slow and heat harden the IH axles I have cut. I tried the band saw and could not get through the outer hard layer of the metal. The last axles I cut I used a gas powered demolition saw and it worked great. I will never cut another way.

Re: Axle cutting November 19, 2013 02:07AM
I am with you Gonzo. But if you don't have a demo saw, buy a $10 torch tip. #4. It literally takes 10 seconds and you can cool it off before the heat travels. Buff it with a flap disc and presto. "Machine Finish"Beer

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009