? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 02:17AM
In the past few weeks, I've read posts about super farms, about turbines in the unlimited, and other things talking about the way modern sleds just don't work as well as they could or should in stopping vehicles, especially when the pan drops or when they start grabbing into the dirt. There have been posts that state in not so many words, that sleds can contribute to breakage.

For pullers or crew members: What aspects of today's sleds do you think either don't work or should work differently?

So, for those of you who think outside the box, or have ever thought about it: if you could, how would you design a sled differently?

Or, if you think the modern Bauer design is basically sound, how would you tweak it to improve it?

(note- I only mentioned Bauer by name as he is the leading sled builder; not implying there is anything wrong with his sleds)

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 09:25AM
I really don't know how you would change it but I wish sleds today created more of a tractor pull than a drag race whereas the guy with the fastest gears wins. Just my thoughts

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 09:48AM
I think the Bauer type sled designs work fine it just they are best suited to a higher ground speed type of classes. Dropping the pan and blowing the back end up all at once near the end of the run are just to aggressive on the lower HP vehicles. Nothing wrong with them those devices just need to be unhooked when running smaller stuff.

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 10:32AM
I also think they are to aggresive on the slower tractors, but I also know how hard it is to have a sled work from 3500lb antiques to 20000lb semis and every thing in between!!! some operators are better than others at adjusting for the slower classes!!

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 11:46AM
Yeah, but you have to have horsepower to turn the faster gears, so it really is about traction (pulling) and horsepower--which is what the original pulling game was about, i.e, putting the power to the ground. JW

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 12:47PM
Truck & Tractor pulling has become a 300 foot measured drag race and the only difference between NHRA & NTPA is are parachuet ways 150,000+? lbs at the end of the track

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 07, 2009 04:31PM
At least now we know you were paying attnetion in tech. class to father Richwines sermon about "drag race" sleds and pulloff's, and the gospel about building a CHAMPION pulling vehicle.
Just gotta build 'em and drive 'em to beat the sleds.
Bauer's sleds are #1 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SAY AMEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 09, 2009 12:54PM
I really don't care, as long as the sled holds up the entire pull. Hopefully the OSTPA looses Mike Stimmell. The track boss sled doesnt worry about gearing or "type" of sled gearing. Everyone is just happy if the piece of garbage holds together for one class.

Any word on whether or not the OSTPA is going to continue to put up with that garbage sled?

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 10, 2009 03:31AM
we all know its you

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 11, 2009 10:56AM
i can tell you that Steve Johnson who is the sled operator at most if not all the region 3 and minnesota state hooks does a hell of a good job with the sled setting on any certian track we pull at. Steve you do a hell of a job at keep up the good work!!!!

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 11, 2009 11:54AM
the decision maker sleds richard love has from pa do a great job with all classes that i see. the guys runing them do a great job also

Re: ? for pullers/crew/fans about sleds/sled design March 11, 2009 01:41PM
You want a good sled but you also want some variations. Part of the game is setting your truck or tractor up for that track and sled.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,760, Posts: 229,921, Members: 3,336.
This forum: Topics: 37,094, Posts: 226,019.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM