How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 08, 2013 03:12AM
Any word on how many hooks for the light unlimited mods and where the pulls are this year? Also how many tractors might run it? Thanks

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 08, 2013 08:48AM
There are 11 hooks on the books at this time. 2 at Fairlea, WV,2 at Tomah,1 at Arcola, 1 at LaGrange,IN, 1 at Jerseyville,Il, 2 at Benson,NC, 2 at Ionia, MI.

All of this is subject to change before the schedule is final. We already heard last night of a few that could change but who knows it could be just talk.

As for the numbers of tractors,it is hard to say as Adam said that they likely will not run most of the hooks. I know of about six that have said that they will run the class with a few other possibility. Some can't run the whole schedule because of travel. I hope that all of the guys that had said they would run come out and support the class. I would also hope that the Double Nutted tractor shows up to run next summer. In other words I hope Adam changes his mind about running them all.

S'no Farmer

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 08, 2013 10:27AM
What are the tenative dates for the WV and NC pull ? Never heard of either of them.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 08, 2013 01:21PM
The pull in WV is on May 23 &24, the one in NC is on July 18 & 19. Both are new events.

S'no Farmer

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 08, 2013 01:39PM
Thanks for info, you mind posting the tentative classes for each pull. Benson going to be a NC pull with a few added GN classes ? which I assume would be Alky Super with Wells owning facility and Light UNL.

Re:whats in a name? December 08, 2013 11:29PM
I know the name of the class is the "light unlimited" class, however with the current rules it should be called the light limited or the light overregulated class, but certainly not the light unlimited class, I have to say this is one of the NTPA classes that I am most disappointed in. When you make a rule change to fix a problem I believe the idea is to make the situation better, in the case of this class I think they made the problem worse. Last years class was a disaster, and I am wondering if the rule change will help the class numbers. I would like to have seen the NTPA go with rules that are either truly unlimited or rules that mirror state rules [3 Chevy, 2 hemi, 1 Allison] for the class.

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 12:15PM
Dick, I'm not sure why you think it will but be worse than it was, I feel like we will be seeing a lot better participation in the class as well a far more competitive class. I get the people that are saying it will be a cooky cutter class but to me that is better than a class where one tractor wins by 50' every time out. As for the name I told them the first day I heard about the class that the Unlimited name would cause issues. I have heard a lot of people say that they don't want to see recycled mod tractors or tractors that compete in more than one class. My question is where were these new tractors going to come from.

As far as Allison's are concerned I've heard that there is one being put together with two up in WI that is planning to try the light class.

I thought Adam's was an awesome tractor but his tractor was causing a lot of people to shy away from the class. I would love to see them run the class next season but it sounded like that isn't going to happen.

I know of at least 4 twin Hemi tractors, one twin Chevy, possibly a twin Allison with a couple of others possible. So it looks like it should be a better show from the stand point of numbers.

S'no Farmer

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 12:45PM
Two Allisons make six thousand lol. What do they weigh a ton a piece? Then the chassis can only be two thousand lbs. This class is going be interesting.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 01:07PM
Not sure but think Allison's weigh about 1500 lbs.

S'no Farmer

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 02:40PM
One Allison will be under 1400 lbs with clutch and can. Todd what's one of your Hemi's weigh?

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 01:29PM
"If we build it they will come" theory that the NTPA had with the Lt. Unlimited Mod class is proving to not be working out to well. I think for the class to have any hope of surviving it has to mirror rules that are run at the local levels. If the class can only get 6 to 8 GN hooks there needs to be a place to hook the rest of the time. I'm not sure if you could get any more cookie cutter rules than what the present rule are. I guess the real question is, what does this class offer that the fans and promoters will want to see, what is the "wow factor" in the class. Also can the NTPA support three modified classes?

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 05:00AM
WI,my Hemi's weigh about 950 lbs with the clutch and can.

Dick, One of the things that works well with the rules the way they are now is that I can take the Feissty Farmer to the RN/State pulls and compete as well as adding an engine to run the GN Mod class. We can be competitive in all three classes,this makes the investment a lot more attractive for me and I'm sure some others see it that way also. One competitor is looking at running the light class then putting on two more engines to run the heavy unlimited. This tractor could also run at the RN/State level by just adding weight.

As for the wow factor,these tractors are more likely to have a bit of a wild ride than most classes. They can be very fast, I think my ride two years ago at the Arcola pull was one the fastest rides I have ever taken down the track.

I'm not sure about the NTPA being able to support three mod classes,I wouldn't be surprised to see them consolidate back to something different some day. Most pulllers don't want to hook 20+ times a summer so it could work out that each class could get 15 or so hooks but the pullers would have to chose one class to run for points in. We usually pick one class to run for points and then fill in with other classes as time allows.

S'no Farmer

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 05:17AM
But why only two automotive engines? The only thing that will win this class consistently is a hemi. Two chevy's can't compete. Why couldn't doc have a an overdrive restriction? This will end up being a twin hemi show and just as boring with no variety.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 09:26AM
can you run a turbo charged alkyd motor in this class??

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 10:32AM
yes you can. the rules say any 2 piston engines can run and has to weigh 6000 pounds. id like to see turbines allowed but there not piston engines.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 10:45AM
I think any Class in pulling will be looked at by some as being boring that is part of why it is important to have a variety of classes. Most any class you look at has a certain combination that works best for the rules. When you look at the pro stock class most tractors are Deere's,look at the heavy ss class and most of the class is IH. It seems to be that way in most any class,pullers seem to gravitate to these combinations because they want to be in the hunt for the win.

As for the Chevy guys being able to run three engines, that was talked about in the mod committee meeting but was turned down as an option.

I can tell you for a fact that from the seat it is not a boring class. I tend to think that most casual fans love the noise and power of any mod tractor, it is those of us that go to lots of pulls that may tend to get bored.

I'm pretty sure that the SS alky type engines are not allowed.

S'no Farmer

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 10:55AM
why would ss alky motors be not allowed. their a piston engine and I believe that's what the rules say.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 10, 2013 12:27PM
S'no Farmer
I can tell you for a fact that from the seat it is not a boring class.

S'no Farmer

I've always said this about antique tractors. As a spectator, it's just not my cup of tea...but if I were a competitor, I'd think differently.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 12, 2013 04:44AM
It's a shame that the powers that be took away any chance of a Chevy running in this class . Doc with his 3 on 8-71 would be close , with 2 no way.Would have given the boys west of the mississippi a chance to cross the river seeing how the class would be nearly the same. Will be a hemi,hemi,hemi,hemi, with 14-71 changing bearings every 6 to 12 runs. Class never should have Been called unlimited!)NTPA has no starter class for mods but they do for smoke tractors super farms at Tohma and BG pay for a lot of other classes when they have 50. - 60 hook per session.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class February 10, 2014 12:10PM
I have been hearing some very good numbers for this class. Sounds like its going to get very interesting. Good luck to all! I can't wait to see them run in person.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class April 08, 2014 10:49AM
we are coming out being that they changed the class now that we feel the twin hemi can actualy compete. hard to build for the lass when you have to compete against three of them. im very excited to some pull with you guys.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 03:13AM
theres no way 1 allison could compete with 2 v8s.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 04:06AM
Why would Adam want to run the whole schedule? If he shows up and wins all the hooks with 2 engines they will just change the rules to only alow him 8-71 blowers. I can completley understand his not wanting to make all the hooks, but I also understand that if one tractor wins every hook that there won't be a class. He probably should have waited 2-3 years before building the ultimate light unlimited tractor, but hindisght is 20/20. I just hope this class takes off like it should!!!

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 09, 2013 08:43AM
I am sure a rolls Royce would keep up in that class!
Would be cool to see the River Rat with NTPA stickers on it again!

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 11, 2013 06:53AM
I would 2nd that idea. Like to see it! River Rat has been a contender from the beginning of modified tractor pulling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2013 06:54AM by Sled-rider.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 14, 2013 12:35PM
the class should be 2 hemi and 3 chevy at 6000 pounds and 4 hemi and five chevy at 8000 lbs..and run allisons if you want. the blower over drive could be adjusted to maker it exciting.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 14, 2013 02:13PM
The rule's are locked in for 3 year's. I think the chevs will do just fine. I would like to see a single unlimited super stock motor to be able to run though. After that I think the rule's are inline.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 14, 2013 02:55PM
Why can't you run an inline engine? Or a 903 for that matter? They are piston engines.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 15, 2013 02:35AM
My guess would be the 2 stages of boost. If you wanted an ag or industrial engine with a single stage of boost that might be ok.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 15, 2013 02:33PM
The 903 would leak too much oil not running, let alone when it was running.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class February 09, 2014 03:36PM
In theory a Alison should be able to with all the after market work done. I Allison is ball park 1700cubic in average hemi is 565! The Allison has 3x the cubic's over the hemi! Givin the right motor man and enough boost they could keep up.

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class December 16, 2013 03:56AM
Get over the chevy conversation in regards to DOC. His junk can only compete with an advantage. Its fun to see him get beat at his own game since he was the whiner to restrict the hemi's in regional competition. If it wasnt for DOC there would still be a region mod class up in region 3 & 5. Making DOC step up his engine program for once is the right decision by NTPA and for those who think this class is not going to succeed is wrong, just wait and see! Good luck to all involved!

Re: How many hooks for light unlimited mod class February 10, 2014 02:30PM
Tentatively looking to have the GN light unlimited class at the Rossville, Il pull on august 8.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,731, Posts: 229,864, Members: 3,332.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,984.

Our newest member WestonFarms