What defines a dominate tractor? December 17, 2013 06:01AM
Here is a question that came up recently. What makes a tractor dominate in its class? Championships? Wins? Distance won by? And if a tractor does dominate its class and is built to the rules should it be restricted in some way so the other tractors that have been around forever don't look bad?

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 17, 2013 07:25AM
I think its the tractor that kicks your butt each time out . Dosent have to winn every hook but he or she is the one that most pulls is the top 3 and you know is your toughest tractor. I dont like it when groups change the rules to hurt a puller everyone can update or try things and if you get the right combination you will win. The prolbem most pullers have is they would rather complain or whine about the good puller rather than spend the money or take a chance. The other thing that causes prolbems is the guy out front many times is the guy that will keep working to improve and isnt afraid to take that chance so they stay out front

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 17, 2013 02:19PM
Frantic crew
I think its the tractor that kicks your butt each time out . Dosent have to winn every hook but he or she is the one that most pulls is the top 3 and you know is your toughest tractor. I dont like it when groups change the rules to hurt a puller everyone can update or try things and if you get the right combination you will win. The prolbem most pullers have is they would rather complain or whine about the good puller rather than spend the money or take a chance. The other thing that causes prolbems is the guy out front many times is the guy that will keep working to improve and isnt afraid to take that chance so they stay out front
Yeah randy, ask me about updating.

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 19, 2013 09:08AM
I have updated I am riding with Tom M. when possible this year. Have to go with the diesel Clark I really think the class will intresting this year. One guy comes to mind when you and I think of dominate tractor, and we both know he will be tougher that ever this season

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 19, 2013 12:33PM
When I think of dominate tractor, I think of a tractor that can beat you on a night-by-night basis, which in turn, will lead to championships.

Extremely Armed & Dangerous in Super Stock Open winning 53.8% of the hooks this year would be one example. And if I'm remembering correctly, Jessie Petro's season last year could be considered dominate.

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 20, 2013 07:55AM
I think that a dominate tractor has to have a really good driver, you will see some guys take a tractor with a little less horse and do just as good because of weighting, gear, and driving.

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 20, 2013 12:17PM
I think everyone is missing the mark on this question.

A Dominate tractor is not just the one that wins most of the time. If they're wining each week by a foot or two, by no means are they "dominate". I would say 15-20+ feet on the 2nd place tractor almost every weekend to call them "Dominate". I have seen over the years tractors come in and "Dominate" for awhile.

Here in NY in the Empire State Pullers we have a Mod Mark Cole with the Gambler tractor who "Dominates" our local competition. He is very good and he has very good equipment and he gets all he can out of it. If its only our local Mod's he will easily put 20+ feet on them with great runs. Lucky for us (as fans) some of the competition from other organization jump over and run out local pulls when they can. When they do, they give Mark a fight. I hope Mark Kicks butt with the big boys again this year in Louisville Ky.

Thanks,
Justin Bennett

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 12:00AM
Mark is not in Loiusville

Dick Morgan

www.PULLOFF.com
Independent Pulling News

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 01:34AM
Sorry about that. For some reason I had it in my head Mark Cole was going again. Probably getting Miles Beyond 300 prediction list mixed up with the real list. Thanks for the correction Dick Morgan.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 11:46AM
Justin using your Gambler example do you think he should be handicaped in any way so the other tractors in the class don't look bad? Or how about Rick Krause's turbine when he comes out to pull with ESP? Both tractors are built to the rules. They put a blower overdrive handicap in the rule book after the Gamblers first season.

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 03:17PM
Webster,

No I do not think he should be handicapped. I think some pullers pull competitively, some pull laid back hobby style, and some try to pull competitively but don't have skills or resource to be competitive. Just because others can't; does not mean others shouldn't.

I enjoy when Rick Krause and some of the others from NYTPA jumping over and giving Mark a challenge.

All this is cyclical, no one has dominated forever, competition will catch up.

Thank You,
Justin Bennett

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 05:42AM
I would consider Brian Bowles with the Hayles Comet tractor dominate this year. He won all but one hook this year mostly by 50 feet or better and let out of it half the time.

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 08:03AM
For a long time Twister was dominate in our light super class. 2013 season ended with different results. Congradulations Craig that came from a ton of hard work and was well earned. As you know the class has many tractors that could win this coming season, you also know when Jason putts his mind to it hes a tough puller. Nothing against anyone in the class but if his father's health is where he can run more of his hooks and Jason is able to put more of his attention on Twister hes tough to beat.

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 02:55AM
Frantic crew Who may that be???

Re: What defines a dominate tractor? December 21, 2013 04:27AM
Dominant is the Conner Brothers in early 90's...don't have the numbers in front of me but Im thinking they won 20+ hooks in one weight class, when they were running boththe 75 and 95...

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Bad Medicine was dominant December 21, 2013 03:11PM
Go watch the 1992 Bowling Green hooks on Youtube, I believe those are the 95 and Heavy (11,200#) Super classes. It put 20 and 30 feet on second place in those classes, on the way to a second consecutive points title. A dominant tractor, to me is one that everyone hates to see pull into the pits, because everyone else is suddenly pulling for second place, assuming there are no driving/mechanical errors. Shotgun Red & Sneaky Snake are also tractors that come to mind as dominant.

To answer the other question, no, the rules should not be changed to outlaw one particular tractor, provided it was adhereing to the rules to begin with. That being said, I am not a fan of the current super stock rules of allowing basically any engine in any tractor. Re-cast blocks don't bother me, but putting engines that were never under the advertised tin (HD800 engines in MM GVI, G705/G1000 tractors, IH engine in a JD, or a 903 Cummins in anything since it never came in a 2wd tractor) just rubs me the wrong way. Sure, it's a great engineering feat to get them to run the way they do, but when this is allowed it further blurs the line between the Super Stock and Modified classes. It ruins the mystique of the stock style class, much like NASCAR no longer has anything under the hood that is available in an Impala, Taurus, Camry, etc.

But if it's within the rules, everyone else needs to do more homework and try to catch up.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 22, 2013 11:55AM
its not a tractor anymore they are just souped up skidders

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 22, 2013 02:20PM
im with bryan and oliver 1655,conner brothers defines dominate,no ifs ands or buts.watch the canfield fair 1991 ss video on youtube,i was there,the general view was holy s--t,he really coulda drug the boat back home.as far as im concerned there never will be another tractor that looks better than bad medicine..whatever happened to donaldsons white anyway..

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 22, 2013 03:04PM
Patches the chassis is allegedly sitting in Nebo, KY. I drove through Nebo in June and took a little detour to find it (its supposed to be sitting outside) and couldn't find it. Would enjoy finding it and taking a few photos of it if I come upon it.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 22, 2013 03:19PM
I watched some youtube vids of the Conner machine and you guys are right it is dominate. I also looked for the tractor fron the guy that mentioned Twister looks dominate there also but all I am seeing is that one tractor hooking. [www.youtube.com] the pulls here look hard to touch

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 22, 2013 08:53PM
Bad Medicine was so far ahead of its time.I don't think there will be another tractor that was so dominant as it was. I wondered what ever happened to Gene Donaldsons oliver/white. Me and dad was pulling at local fairs in the late 70s-early 80s in the farm stock class with a 2-50 white. Pulled in the 5500lb farm stock class. When Gene was at the same pull as us he would ask us to be his pull off tractor.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 09:23AM
How about Leroy Mason's Down And Dirty in Light Super?

John Murray
Two-time Pedal Pull World Champion

Let's Go Pulling, covering the sport of pulling in Kentucky, Tennessee, and Alabama.
Watch LGP on YouTube
Like LGP on Facebook

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 10:50AM
In 1998 Down N Dirty won 23 of 26 events and points titles in the 5500 and 7500lbs classes with the American Tractor Pullers. The following season he became the only light SS puller to ever beat Meese Brothers Squealer JD for a points title.

Larry Philips claimed to have spent over half a million dollars trying to beat this tractor that the Korth brothers sold after the 1994 season for $30,000 after deciding it was no longer competitive.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 24, 2013 01:37AM
I have talked to the Korth Bros. at a few pulls...the one who generally has little or nothing for personallity, kind of a dick...BUT, that aside, the guy "knows how to drive a tractor", I do have to give him that! Watched their tractors for several years, and they are always in top 3 if not no. 1. He has even driven others tractors and beaten people on a strange tractor. Something has to be said for a "dominant driver" and I gotta give it up to them, despite the one's personallity. They do a great job. I'll give credit where credit is due. I see all the comments of the dominant tractors of the 90's but they are the dominant ones of today, when the technology has moved so much farther ahead and everyone else has moved up also.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 01:52PM
John Murray
How about Leroy Mason's Down And Dirty in Light Super?
John, I have that motor now. As long as I can keep the valves from pulling up through the head and the bottom charger together, I hope it is just as exciting for everyone as it was back then. It is still in an ag chassis though.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 02:03PM
I have watched that tractor for several years and I was verry impressed with that hook. The thing is about the time you thnk you have seen all he has he has a hook like that one.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 01:54AM
What about carl smith's Nite Moves and Tiephen's Night Life in the 90's?

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 05:52AM
I think of Brent Longs 686 Light Super Stock. That tractor was fun too watch in the light super stock class. Also you cant forget Darrell Meese's Squealer in the Light Super Class. That tractor was awesome at Louisville!!!! I also agree that Conner's Bros had a one of kind in the heavy class. I can remember them putting 50 ft on the class at Macon, Mo during the show me showdown.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 12:11PM
Brent Long did a lot of work on Conner's tractor. He was the one who figured out how to keep a crank in it.

Old yellar Coomer December 23, 2013 01:41PM
Coomer 19 first place 7 second place fineshes

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 02:11PM
Check your facts. Just someone who thinks you know.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 24, 2013 12:29AM
Hey Mr Binder when sign your name to a post and then write one below it. Do not make the same mistake in spelling it is Conner not Conner's. Kind of a dead give away.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 24, 2013 04:42AM
hey teachers pet, I just wrote the one post with my name!!!! I use my own name. I don't need to make up a name like you!!!

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 24, 2013 01:22PM
You are correct on the first one (Nathan Binder) The second one is correct because the author (The facts) is referring to the possessive case ie. ownership of said tractor. FYI I remember Mr. Long welding on cat cranks and having Mothers in Spfld. balance them. He is quite possibly right.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 24, 2013 01:45PM
Mothers did do the balancing on them and Brent added metal to the crank to get it to balance.
Don;t remember the year but Ernie was ahead in the points and blew the motor up in new hampshire, and drove back to missouri and Brent built a new engine for it. They missed two pulls, but still won the points race. Thats dominate!

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 24, 2013 01:54PM
No question that tractor was dominant. What do you expect with Brent building the motors and Ernie driving! Was a match made in heaven, while it lasted.

Re: Bad Medicine was dominant December 23, 2013 01:57PM
look good to me
I watched some youtube vids of the Conner machine and you guys are right it is dominate. I also looked for the tractor fron the guy that mentioned Twister looks dominate there also but all I am seeing is that one tractor hooking. [www.youtube.com] the pulls here look hard to touch

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]
That tractor usually runs at 6000# and is a handfull, but that particular pull was 6500, and to Jason's tractor, that's huge! I was standing about the 330' mark, and he let off the throttle about there, and coasted the rest of the way. lol! Definitely a crowd favorite!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,707, Posts: 229,811, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,082, Posts: 225,956.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro