How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 01:07AM
Years ago in the pace tractor era, the pace tractor moved at a constant 6 or 8 mph, or whatever the limit was for the class.
The pace tractor was supposed to move at a constant pace. Many drivers laid back, then nailed the throttle in hopes that they would catch up to where the pace tractor was near the end of the run.

In modern days, that doesn't work. MPH is tracked on the sled, so guys will drive up to the limit the whole run. Sometimes, the air horn blasts if they go too fast.

I would love to see an old-style mph class with a pace tractor just to see how a modern-day MPH farm stock driver would handle. I wonder if the same guys that win in the "air horn" era would also be on top with a pace tractor?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/2023 01:09AM by The Original Michael.

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 01:29AM
I think ECI does that still once in a while. I've seen some recent videos of them using a golfcart or something similar for pace. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 02:17AM
ECI had done that YEARS ago due to equipment failure.

If sled equipment has issues ECI now will resort to using a Radar speed board.

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 03:42AM
They used to have a pace tractor around here, if the driver layer back the pace tractor would slow down to match his speed, that way the driver couldn't do the lay back and wait game. The puller had to speed up until the pace tractor had no more throttle. This made it a lot more Interesting.

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 02:16PM
Old timer
They used to have a pace tractor around here, if the driver layer back the pace tractor would slow down to match his speed, that way the driver couldn't do the lay back and wait game. The puller had to speed up until the pace tractor had no more throttle. This made it a lot more Interesting.

And that showed you who the real drivers were to be able to run the pace tractor like that. Push the pace tractor and keep him at your front tires and know when to nail it

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 10:43PM
Ok so I don’t get the real driver quotes that you hear in these mph classes.Some of you guys think because you know when to nail the throttle you’re a driver! My 4 year old can sit on the side line and watch a few tractors and tell you the same thing.
It doesn’t matter if you are pulling speed class or open speed you still need to know the tractor track and where to hang the weight.

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 12, 2023 11:57PM
Not taking away from that Zac, but you could always tell who had the patience to run it. Not saying thats the only thing thats who won all the time. It was a combination of setup and driving. A lot of people are too impatient for the pace tractor or even pace board now

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 13, 2023 01:02AM
what a joke, -some people's kids, no way.Many grown men can't figure it out well enough.it ain't one size fits all.Some tractors have excess power for the weight class, some are less capable, some more finicky.the driver's ability is certainty more important than a pace or speed board.nailing it doesn't mean winning.

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 13, 2023 01:13AM
It's a lot easier, from my experience, to tell when to hit the throttle or pull a torque sitting in the stand then on the tractor. MY 2 Cents

Re: How driving strategy changed in MPH classes with tech development January 13, 2023 05:15AM
Oly
It's a lot easier, from my experience, to tell when to hit the throttle or pull a torque sitting in the stand then on the tractor. MY 2 Cents
Agreed

Related question- which is best rule, and ? for NTPA historians? January 13, 2023 05:32AM
With the understanding this is moot for most modern mph classes where the speed is tracked on the sled with the air horn, for classes with an actual pace tractor, which do you think is the better rule:

A) The pace tractor takes off when the pulling tractor starts moving and moves at a consistent 4,5,6,8,10 mph (whatever the speed limit is) for the entire pull, or
B ) The pace tractor keeps pace with the pulling tractor up to the speed limit of the class.

I guess, A is more like an average speed rather than a true speed limit, where a tractor could lay back, at some point nail the throttle to gain ground speed to catch up to (but not pass) the pace tractor. A tractor could theoretically exceed the limit as long as they don't pass the pace tractor during the run. From a fan perspective, the advantage is you get more velocity on the track.

B is more of a true speed limit where at no point in the pull would the tractor go past the mph or the horn sounds (I have seen classes where they will allow the tractor to touch the limit with one horn sound, but the 2nd horn DQs the run. I suppose different places run MPH classes differently).

For people who remember the pre-1974 NTPA pace tractors (with the red, white, and blue JD pace tractor), didn't the pace tractor start at 50' and drive at the mph limit? I was very young then but I believe that's how it worked. Any NTPA historians on here that remember the NTPA rule in those early pace tractor years?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2023 05:40AM by The Original Michael.

Re: Related question- which is best rule, and ? for NTPA historians? January 14, 2023 02:18AM
The Original Michael
With the understanding this is moot for most modern mph classes where the speed is tracked on the sled with the air horn, for classes with an actual pace tractor, which do you think is the better rule:

A) The pace tractor takes off when the pulling tractor starts moving and moves at a consistent 4,5,6,8,10 mph (whatever the speed limit is) for the entire pull, or
B ) The pace tractor keeps pace with the pulling tractor up to the speed limit of the class.

I guess, A is more like an average speed rather than a true speed limit, where a tractor could lay back, at some point nail the throttle to gain ground speed to catch up to (but not pass) the pace tractor. A tractor could theoretically exceed the limit as long as they don't pass the pace tractor during the run. From a fan perspective, the advantage is you get more velocity on the track.

B is more of a true speed limit where at no point in the pull would the tractor go past the mph or the horn sounds (I have seen classes where they will allow the tractor to touch the limit with one horn sound, but the 2nd horn DQs the run. I suppose different places run MPH classes differently).

How I interpret your A and B options would be that A would the fairest, easier to manage, and the puller can see his target speed off the get-go but on the flip side, a puller could let the pace tractor get a head start, and essentially go above the speed limit to catch back up if that is a thing, Idk.....
Option B would be harder to keep fair, and keep track of, but it would be harder on the puller which would make it more challenging. Lots of potential cheating and errors.

Idk, I see a lot of potential issues in the pace tractor way, less accurate and more prone to deviations in speed(not as accurate), you need an extra pace vehicle, extra room for the pace vehicle, and a TRUST-worthy person to drive that vehicle or you're going to have many complaints and so on. On the plus side, everything for the most part is transparent.

I honestly haven't seen or pulled in the above ways of pace-pulling, its sounds more stone age to me but more budget-friendly and less technology oriented. There are lots of gray areas not listed.

With the speed and horn on the sled and a monitor on the announcer's stage, there's less doubt of your pace, less human error, one less worker and vehicle on the track needed, can have more room on the track and surrounding area, less amount of wasted time driving the pace tractor back and forth.....the bad side is it is less transparent to the spectators and pullers, can have potential conflicts and conflicts of interest by the sled operator.

Now with having a speed and distance board at the end of the track, you as a puller are responsible for going over the speed limit and you have no one but yourself to blame because everyone including the puller can see what's happening. This way would be more accurate, with less time and space needed, less human error, and less chance of potential cheating. IMO this is the best all-around option for speed-rated pulling.

If you are able to have a GPS on your tractor, then obviously some of these negatives and positives would change with some of the other ways of pace pulling. With the speed and distance at the end of the track it wouldn't.

Each to their own......

Re: Related question- which is best rule, and ? for NTPA historians? January 14, 2023 02:34AM
Pace tractor pulling is a joke, - many did hang back and let the pace get ahead, then "speed", so rules were changed and you had to keep pulling unit in the same plane (length) of pace or be DQd.

Re: Related question- which is best rule, and ? for NTPA historians? January 14, 2023 02:50AM
Michigan Farm Stock Pullers used to have the "rope" class
A loop on bicycle rims 5' off the ground from 50 to 300. Pace flag that you could not pass. 50' behind it came the lag flag that you could not fall behind or you were out except at the end when you spun out. It was fun to watch guys game it.

CP

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,752, Posts: 229,904, Members: 3,335.
This forum: Topics: 37,090, Posts: 226,006.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM