plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 06:31AM
i have a question about the helm pump that people use to replace the factory steering.. i am installing the helm pump for manual steering to and from the track and into the trailer, what i am wandering is can i hook an additional belt driven hydro pump somewhere to the helm pump with 500 psi or so of pressure to help aid in the steering of when the tractor is running? any answers are much appreciated. also i am running the stock steer cylinder.

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 06:44AM
what model helm pump?

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 09:57AM
all the info on the pump is- HH5271 1.7 cu in. 6.9 MPa 1000psi max seastar brand manufactured by teleflex canada. this pump will be used on a tractor that will weigh up to 13,000 lbs at times. it has four ports in the back of the pump. their locations are at 12 6 3 and 9 oclock. the port at 9 oclock is labeled S and the port at 3 oclock is labeled P. the other ports at 12 and 6 oclock positions are labeled R. any help is very much appreciated.

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 02:39PM
The s stands for suction and the p is for pressure. The r is for return. And you should be able to use it like you are saying.

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 02:50PM
the 2.4 pump is the better pump to use. most running this system as I am too run the 2.4 pump because of its higher capacity which flows more fluid making it a little easier to steer. the ports "p" and "s" stand for starboard and port which would be right or left. the two that are on the top and bottom that are labeled "r" are return ports if you do decide to put a power supply to it. so port would be your left hand line and starboard would end up being your right hand side if you are using it to supply a double action hydraulic cylinder for your steering. now to be honest I don't not know for sure if supplying it with just a regular hydro pump would make it more like a power steering set up like what you are after but I do know if you go on Teleflex"s website they sell electric unit called a sea star power assist. How that system works is you plumb it in to your right and left ports just as you would like you were using the system without the power assist and wire it into a switch to arm the system, and you route a compensating line into one of the two return ports. When the system is off it turns just like it does without the power assist kind of like steering a rack and pinion set up, when you turn the switch on it turns to power steering once you stop turning the wheel. even though the system is on it only starts to supply power to the helm when you start turning the steering wheel. you can also find this system on ebay. hope this helps. good luck!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2013 02:51PM by limpro4430.

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 04:33PM
The smaller pump should be easier to turn.. But it's going to take more turns to get the job done.. If you hook up a pump (supply pressure) turning force will not be an issue.. You need to size the pump for the amount of turns lock to lock..
If the pump is going to put out 1.7 cu in per turn.. You need to figure the working surface area of the cylinder.. With the stroke Then you can calculate how many turns lock to lock..

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 23, 2013 10:56PM
this is all very helpful! thank you. but i still have a few questions. if jdgnut says i can plumb a hydraulic pump suply to it, then which port should i plumb the pressure to and do i need to use one of the ports for a return? do any check valves need to be installed anywhere to make the system work when not running to keep from backfeeding to the hydro pump? i will not be using the electric compensator pump. i have a belt driven pump that i will be using if this is all possible.

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 24, 2013 01:46PM
You should be able to plumb one r port for pressure and one for return. I don't think it will matter which is which. I run a similar setup with an electric pump and turn it off and on . It has no check valve and works fine.

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 24, 2013 07:26PM
I don't know the steering valve you are trying to use.. If its an open center valve than you will be fine with the belt driving pump.. But you will need a relief valve if there is to one built into the pump or steering valve. If the steering valve is a closed center.. You will be going over relief all the time.. And possibly over heat.. (Probably not with the short time you will be running..) but it will take extra HP to run the system.. Electric would be better if its a closed center valve...

If you are trying to use a belt drive pump.. Hydrostatic steering valve would easier to use.. ( something like this [www.surpluscenter.com]
)
Sorry I'm not an IH guy.. So I don't know the size of the factory steering cylinder..
I'm building a system like WTW posted a few days ago using a hydraulic motor, for a steering valve.. But it's a non pressured system..

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 25, 2013 02:51AM
i have a question for the 4.1 puller. is ur setup using the helm teleflex brand steering motor? or a different style brand? how much pressure can i put to the teleflex brand type motor?

Re: plumbing a helm hand pump on an ih 66 series. December 25, 2013 05:01AM
If you don't mind, give me a call. I don't type very well! 417 437-1036

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,625, Posts: 229,687, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,899.

Our newest member JD_8520