Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 03, 2014 08:45AM
I was wondering what is done to convert a 8.3 diesel to alky ? Are guys using the natural gas head and running a distributor in the block like a natural gas motor ? Any info is appreciated.

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 03, 2014 04:19PM
NG pistons or re-machine the stock ones or use billet rods & custom pistons. Regring the stock cam or have a billet done. Drill the diesel head for spark plugs or use a factory NG head. Run the Distributor off the injection pump drive, mount it to the front of the cam or belt drive it.

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 03, 2014 11:37PM
I knew the pistons had to be swapped and cam reground or replaced. I just wasn't sure what guys were doing for the head and igntion. Iam assuming the natural gas head has a combustion chamber in it ? I suppose I could use a programmable ignition with a crank trigger and coils and not have to worry about a distributor at all.

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 04, 2014 02:47AM
NG heads are the same as a diesel head, just with spark plugs. NG pistons have a dish in them.

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 04, 2014 11:43PM
Thanks for the info Cody !

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 07, 2014 09:52AM
Last question...for now anyway. What do most guys use for a butterfly ? Mill the shelf off the head and make a custom intake with a single throttle body ?

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 07, 2014 02:06PM
Yes, cut the intake off, machine flat & weld a plate to the head. Then build an intake off of that

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 08, 2014 12:41AM
Save yourself the time and money in the long run and build it rite the first time. Weight the crank, put a good set of alum rods and pistons in it. There are shops they make the butterfly's that you are talking about. Just go on and save yourself the headach and put good stuff in it. Those stock parts won't hold up long making the kind of hp that a competitive lss should make. If you don't have the funds then maybe look into a llss tractor. That's a great class that is growing leaps and bounds across the country!

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 08, 2014 12:55AM
I'd probably give Chuck lewis a call.

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 08, 2014 02:19AM
Double Dose give me a call, I have a head that would work with very little machining. 1-931-224-1700

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 08, 2014 08:08AM
How long are you guys getting out of a aluminum rod before they stretch in a pulling application ? The dont last long at all in a blown alcohol drag application or hell not too long when only injected alky. Can you get a season out of them ? By weighting the crank, I assume you mean balancing it ? ekerr I will give you a call later on after work.

Thanks guys

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 08, 2014 08:34AM
Should get a lot of life out of aluminum rods as long as you aren't turning 8000 rpm. Many seasons is common.

Re: Cummins 8.3 alky conversion January 08, 2014 09:16AM
A couple of seasons is common. I have a complete alky 8.3 w/ twin turbos hanging on the engine stand that can be bought. Don't know when I'll ever finish the tractor.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,790, Posts: 229,989, Members: 3,340.
This forum: Topics: 37,103, Posts: 226,066.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009