Louisville January 05, 2014 12:34PM
I teach Ag in Ohio and I am thinking of taking a group of students down to Louisville for the farm machinery show and tractor pull if the school will approve an overnight trip. I've never been to Louisville for the show or pull, so I'm looking for suggestions on what do with the kids while w'ere there. This would be a small class of 6 juniors and seniors and my wife, so our total would be 8. Also thinking of maybe hitting up mammoth cave and possibly staying a night in that area. Is there a night for the pull that you prefer? Can I get tickets down there or should I preorder them? Thanks.

John

Re: Louisville January 05, 2014 12:51PM
any night is good. to get tickets down there for fri or Saturday is tough. get them as soon as you can. we went to the Louisville slugger plant last time I was there. seemed like a worth while stop.

Re: Louisville January 05, 2014 01:52PM
Makers Mark bourbon distillery is a great tour, also recommend the Louisville slugger.

Any session you attend of the pull is going to be good.

Re: Louisville January 06, 2014 04:45AM
The Wednesday/Thursday tickets are easier to find. As far as what to do while there, you could spend an entire day in the show and not see everything to be seen. All of the suggestions are good for other sites, but if you're going as far as Mammoth Cave its worth the trip to drive another 30 miles to the Corvette Museum at exit 28 on I-65. I don't know if the Vette plant is giving tours at the moment but its' a nice deal, I've been through it 2-3 times.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Louisville January 06, 2014 05:41AM
When u go to the pull make sure to go 2 or 3 hours early, so u can go to broad bent arena and check out all the rigs that will pull that evening, kids will enjoy it.

Re: Louisville January 07, 2014 12:45AM
Correct me if I am wrong but I think Broadbent closes at 4:00 or 4:30 so you better be a little earlier than that.

Re: Louisville January 07, 2014 05:29AM
I would say your correct,it's been several years since I been there. I agree the expo is well worth checking out and the kids get some free bees, yard sticks and such.

Re: Louisville January 06, 2014 09:01AM
Try bluegrass indoor karting its really fun 40 mph go karts and its indoors (502) 297-9899 its about 15 mins from the fair grounds

Re: Louisville January 06, 2014 11:40AM
You can usually get tickets in pits during the day, Good luck, enjoy the show, Many things to see in Louisville, "Ford plant," " Louisville Slugger" factory etc.

Re: Louisville January 06, 2014 11:44AM
I would try to avoid the 2WD trucks Too much fumes.

Re: Louisville January 07, 2014 04:16AM
All spark plug vehicles should have to run smoke tubes for that reason.

Re: Louisville January 07, 2014 08:49AM
Sure would make it more pleasant to watch them. burns the heck out of our eyes where we sit. Hook them up same as the diesels. I know it is to dangerous to run tubes on alkys and gassers so I would suggest some type of a hood over the engines to at least get some of the fumes out. It would help if they would hook the spark plugs up without them running, that would be a big help since so many think they have to go halfway down the track to back up to the sled. They can warm up outside like the diesels have to do

Re: Louisville January 07, 2014 11:09AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Hopefully we'll be back in school tomorrow and I can check around to get permission for this trip. We've had an extended Christmas break with snow and cold weather.

Re: Louisville January 08, 2014 02:07PM
I would say if u never been 2 the nfms I would say Wensday the best night u will see the SSD mods an pros an you do need take the kids in the pits they can talk 2 the drivers an get hand out cards or even buy a t shirt from a puller or sat on a pulling tractor an get there pic taken on it

Re: Louisville January 11, 2014 02:00PM
I've seen some antique pulls where they have a hood over the tractors that catches the fumes and pulls them out. Would work good for the alkys since you can't really expect them to run a smoke pipe, but I'm not sure how much sense it would make beyond that. Take the hood on and off everytime for class changes? not sure how you can rig it up to be on there and functional and not be in the way of the diesels exhaust pipe.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009