Exhaust wrap January 12, 2014 10:59AM
I was wondering what you guys think of exhaust wrap? im looking to wrap the manifold on my IH466.
What size role works best, the 1 inch or the 2 inch?
Thanks for the space and any tips or tricks you have
Mike

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 10:13AM
Anyone? please

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 04:20PM
Ceramic coating works too.

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 10:18AM
We used 1 inch on the runners coming off the head, then used 2 inch on the main log.

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 10:57AM
We used 2". Take your time to do a nice job and try not to double up. Start out with only one wrap and see what happens.

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 11:15AM
If you get it wet first it's easier to get it wrapped tightly .

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 11:50AM
But does it actually help for power?

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 12:20PM
I will tell you that if the manifold joints arent sealed and it slobbers when idling it fuel soaks the wrap then at the end of the run when everything is good and hot ....... it catches fire. DONE IT

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 12:32PM
thank you everyone for the info. i really appreciate it

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 01:30PM
A 10 to 15 sec run NO WAY but mite save some paint

Re: Exhaust wrap January 13, 2014 01:40PM
Why not just use hi temp coating and skip the wrap?

Re: Exhaust wrap January 14, 2014 12:14AM
I'm not an expert on this stuff but generally any type of wrap is strictly cosmetic. The theory behind heat ransfer and heat saturation effects are really limited to not allowing heat to saturate a given substrate. So, if you are seeking some type of performance advantage from coatings or wraps the whole combustion chamber, valve face, piston top, inner surface of the header and the outer surface need a ceramic or similar coating. The goal is to keep the heat surging out of the system so energy isn't wasted heating extraneous system components, the first step is protection from heat saturation, ceramic coating on pistons and the same coating on the inner surface of the header. Then you can go to work on the outside with a similar coating. Putting a wrap on the header might protect your paint job but little else. In fact it may cause heat to become trapped because you have effectively increased the header surface area by wrapping it. The ceramic coating process takes time and is a pain but when its completed you actually have something that can provide some benefit. There is little info on performance advantages for pullers due to the duration of the pull, circle track racers have a much different opinion of coatings they greatly reduce heat saturation inside of the header as well as heat transfer to the engine compartment. Advantages are really gained over the lengthy duration of a race.....and the headers dont rust nearly as bad as uncoated units. Another thing to consider is if you choose the whole process it become quite difficult to gaurantee adhesion on the inside of a used header due to oil and gasses contaminating the surface. It is pretty hard to clean and prep the inner surface fully. Sorry to drone on so long but if you really want to do something you should at least have as much info as possible. Call if you have any other questions. Good luck. Rob Bonino 270.348.1873

Re: Exhaust wrap January 15, 2014 10:07AM
so guys, do you think i should even mess with wrapping the exhaust? its also going to be used a little on the farm.
thanks for all the info.
Mike

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro