IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 21, 2014 03:57AM
Guys,

I have an IH 1256 we have ran for quite a few years in the farm/altered farm classes. We need to replace the clutch and T/A this winter, so I am looking for suggestions on which parts to use and suppliers.

Our Setup:
DT 407
.450 Roosamaster
.093 lines
Dual Feed Injectors
3LM 466 charger
No head work
No dyno info

While we are in there we will go to a steel flywheel. Would we be better off with a 2 disk setup or a single disk feramic type clutch?

A heavy duty T/A obviously with the pressure turned up. Anyone have any specifics on T/A setups/pressures that work well?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 21, 2014 09:24AM
Allied Precision makes a nice 2 disc clutch which can be ordered for a 407. Allied also makes an almost bullet proof TA. They have a choice of 5,6,or 8 high side clutches. The 5 disc TA has 2 anti-free wheel discs on the low side (not really necessary on a tractor which strictly pulls). I would use their 5 or 6 disc TA and their 2 disc clutch if it was mine. Lots of people can attest to the quality of Allied's parts. As for pressures, I think allied recommends around 375 psi for their TA units. They have the MCV spring and gasket set also.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 21, 2014 12:13PM
I've used the double disc clutch & T/A from Allied in the 1206 with good results. One thing I will suggest you do after installation, is unhook the linkage for the dump valve on the MCV valve. Its really not stated to do this, but you'll soon find it impossible to get it adjusted with a double disc. Without unhooking it, the double disc will be ready to engage while the MCV is still dumping oil pressure internally, which results in slipping the T/A & prematurely ruining the T/A unit. A good tidbit I was given when I built mine years ago that's worth passing on. Shifting from High to Reverse, or Low to Reverse isn't as smooth as it was originally with the dump valve unhooked, but you'll soon learn to compensate for that.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 22, 2014 02:25PM
Blackstack1206
I've used the double disc clutch & T/A from Allied in the 1206 with good results. One thing I will suggest you do after installation, is unhook the linkage for the dump valve on the MCV valve. Its really not stated to do this, but you'll soon find it impossible to get it adjusted with a double disc. Without unhooking it, the double disc will be ready to engage while the MCV is still dumping oil pressure internally, which results in slipping the T/A & prematurely ruining the T/A unit. A good tidbit I was given when I built mine years ago that's worth passing on. Shifting from High to Reverse, or Low to Reverse isn't as smooth as it was originally with the dump valve unhooked, but you'll soon learn to compensate for that.

Could you have a way to actuate the dump valve manually while shifting.. Maybe a solenoid? Could have a button on the shift lever?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2014 03:34AM by gonzo 1066.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 21, 2014 12:58PM
X2 on unhooking the dump valve. Just pull the T/A to the low side before shifting the range transmission. Dumps high side pressure and relieves the bind.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 21, 2014 01:56PM
please stay away from the 2 disc clutches sold by lemans, we bought one for a 407 and it either slips or will not release, called him several times and he told us that it was a common problem but a lot of guys still use them. found the reason to be it was built with a single disc pressure plate and does not have enough movement to release correctly and have enough disc plate pressure at the same time. clutch is brand new if you are interested? makes a great conversation piece is about all. spend the extra money and call atlas and get something safe that actually works.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 23, 2014 01:29AM
OMG, put a shim washer. 015 to. 025 between the stands and PP. It should separate fine and still hold. Put your number up and we'll talk about it.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 23, 2014 04:10AM
let me start off bye saying I was not trying to cause problems somebody asked about clutchs and I gave my personal experience if everybody else has good luck with them then way to go for them, but hate to see people spend good money one stuff and end up with junk. yes, put a .015 shim under it along with the stack of others that came with, it went from not releasing to slipping, I was also told after the clutch made a few runs we would have to pull a shim out, I cant believe a clutch can only take .015 less plate pressure and it would slip. let alone mention the stock cast flywheel that was actually turned down on the out side and on the inside of the clutch surface face even thinner than stock, real safe I wouldn't suggest this set up for even a farm stock, is it worth fans and pullers getting hurt? If it was built correctly it would not have needed any spacers or shims to begin with, it is just common measurements. This is what happens when people or places try to build a performance part out of stock parts. there is nothing to talk about being the clutch will never go in a tractor again and it was replaced with one that works correctly and is safe and I could go into more problems about the clutch. I hope they stop selling these to guys what is going to happen if one of these clutchs comes apart on a 3000rpm tractor. do you understand a 3000rpm injector pump will only run 3000rpm and less if the governor doesn't stick. we all know what will happen next. I even think there is a you tube video of a 1206 that had that problem.

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 23, 2014 01:12PM
Some one called and told me of this conversation on here, not sure if i am the Leaman you're looking for or not; but, If you bought a flywheel and clutch from me I would like to have an invoice number so that I can determine what you actually bought and a phone number to reach you on. Might be that I can help you get your situation fixed. I don't recall the conversations we had from what you posted and We sell for several different suppliers. But if you are having trouble with something I did supply let me know.
ed

Re: IH 1256 Altered Farm Questions January 25, 2014 05:34PM
After rereading your complaint about the dual disc clutch setup, I don't beleive that your problem is the clutch at all; but rather the fact that you were or are running the hydraulic clutch assist. And I beleive I have spoken with you about this; I am also sure that i would have told you that your dual disc will setup will behave that way (with the assist) because the factory slave cylinder does not have enough stroke. When the proper free pedal adjustment is set; the clutch will usually drag enough to shift hard. And when adjusted to shift easily there is no freepedal left and clutch will not be able to lockup!

Folks that run the assist with the NON sfi dual disc setup that HYcap and Ag Parts sell and with the Allied SFI dual disc have to deal with it equally. It does have to do with the style of pressure plate and the required travel of the throwout bearing, but beleive me there are a lot more of those style pressure plates that are out there on the track every weekend than there are of the brand you are currently running.

The addition of 015 or 020 shims will move your fingers rearward away from the flywheel but it will not effect your lockup pressure enough to create slippage. It will allow for more travel of the actual pressure plate surface which translates to less drag when clutch is depressed.
It will not make up for the cylinders stroke that is required to get the clutch to release. Most of the customers just do away with the assist, and some modify the linkage and acheive more throwout bearing travel.

AS for the tractor in Tulare that came apart, There is a whole lot more to that story than what shows on the video.
An air intake shut off would have saved him a lot of headaches. I personally think they should be required on every tractor at a track!

Re: IH 1256 Clutch slips under heavy load (plowing hard grown) June 17, 2016 01:33AM
I have a IH 1256 tractor. I have been breaking up (plowing) an old alfalfa field. Under a heavy load the clutch slips until I raise the plow a little. This is the first year I have had this trouble. What do I have going on?

Re: IH 1256 Clutch slips under heavy load (plowing hard grown) June 17, 2016 03:49AM
What you have is the need for a new clutch.

Re: IH 1256 Clutch slips under heavy load (plowing hard grown) June 18, 2016 01:43PM
Took the words out of my mouth.

Re: IH 1256 Clutch slips under heavy load (plowing hard grown) June 18, 2016 04:55PM
I was gonna suggest a set of splitting stands and a good clutch shop but then again I have been wrong more than a dozen times.

Re: IH 1256 Clutch slips under heavy load (plowing hard grown) June 19, 2016 12:30AM
Does it slip in both direct and TA? If it does then your engine clutch needs replacing.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,779, Posts: 229,957, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,040.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009