What kind of SQHD center section? October 22, 2011 06:15AM
Who is using what for SQHD center sections? As I see it there are 3 choices, the factory cast aluminum version, the factory cast iron version or the billet aluminum one from Humpco.

What is commonly used in the NTPA mod class, unlimited mod and unlimited super stocks? What about PPL's mod class?

We have broke 2 factory aluminum centers in 2 years. Both times it started to break when the area around the "snubber" broke and pushed out or the bearing cap broke away. Its hard to tell what happened first when all thats left is a pile of aluminum chunks. I thought the common way to break them was to push the pinion out the front.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 22, 2011 06:56AM
Humpco are used in the Mods and USS. I am told that's the way to go.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 22, 2011 07:09AM
Go Humpco and stop worrying...
The factory cast aluminum ones are good for light mods and Super Stocks... A few years ago our twin Allison tore two of them apart in 77 mod already.
You want a billet differential to go with it, too.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 22, 2011 09:39AM
Call him up they are around 4K won't go wrong. If you want another cast alum thou have one for sale.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 24, 2011 10:05AM
Do you think that the factory aluminum will hold up in a mod 4x4? Weight is an issue but $4000 dollars aint in the budget.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 24, 2011 02:07PM
We have a Cast Aluminium one we are wanting to sell.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 24, 2011 02:43PM
Craig, are the rear cap supports still in tact on your rear housing?
A lot of guys cut them out trying to cut weight, and in my opinion, they need to stay in there to prevent this.
You can see the aluminum housing spread if you set your side load adjuster on the ring gear too tight, just to see if it'll do it.
All that said,since it is your money, it is easy to say buy the Humpco unit and be done with it. I have seen them and they are a really nice piece of work! I think I'd hang it on a wall in the winter time,, looks like art!
He can make them with the reverser right on it if that fits your program.
Get that thing done for KC!!
Be nice to see you AND Runnin' on Empty in the sand this year.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 01:21AM
Not sure what the blown one looked like from this season, but this is what the one from Onawa Iowa looked like in the 2010 season.

[www.ulmerracing.com]

cap supports October 25, 2011 02:48AM
The cap supports are in there and tight on the caps.

It sounds like the cast iron version is plenty for our 5000 HP, thanks for everyones opinion.

Hey HP, I hope to be playing in the sandpile also Beer

Re: cap supports April 22, 2012 03:57AM
Is chassis flex twisting the rear housing breaking off the cap and housing section?

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 24, 2011 11:54PM
And how much might you want for your center section?

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 01:08AM
950.00 for cast aluminium center section.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 01:29AM
Is that with a carrier and ring and pinion? or just the aluminum housing?

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 03:00AM
Just for the center section, I have needle engler carrier if needed add 450.00 for that. No ring and pinion.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 08:11AM
SQHD can you pop me an email nicholasak47@yahoo.com. Would like to talk about the alum center section

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 03:28AM
fwd puller you should be fine with cast alum. pig if your housing has the cap support plates in it but there is one more area many people don't take care of with the aluminum housing and that is the length of the bolts holding the pinion carrier into the aluminum. You need to use the longest threaded bolts possible in this area as lots of people use the same bolts as were used on the nodular cast iron units and this allowed the pinion to push out as these bolts used only about half of the available threaded area in the aluminum. Many grade 8 socket head cap screws have more threaded length in the 1/2-13 size and in some cases you should even tap the last part of the casting as to get even more threads available.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 25, 2011 05:54AM
Good point Don!
When I set my last one up, I used ARP studs that had thread length I needed to get to all the threads, and also had 1/4" plate in front of bearing retainer as sort of a girdle.
The gal at Specialty Fastener was very helpful.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? October 26, 2011 02:29AM
exactly where people got in trouble on this was using the bolts from the pinion carrier in the stock nodular iron units when they switched to the aluminum housing I am not sure if the stock aluminum housing used longer bolts from the factory or not but it is necessary to do so in tractor pulling also the use of studs with longer threads would be even better as this would preserve the threads in the aluminum even more studs with long threads would also be better to hold the caps on too I have not looked into it but you might also be able to run the cap studs all the way through and machine a flat spot on the front of the case for a nut like an M&W 9" ford aluminum case

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? April 08, 2012 02:12AM
Does anyone know the weight of a factory aluminum complete center section, and the weight of a cast iron one? Thanks.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? April 09, 2012 05:36AM
Our cast iron one was 40 lbs heavier than the cast alum.

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? November 06, 2023 01:03AM
Last one I weighed both with stock center sections was 20 pound difference.

Cast aluminum SQHD center section November 05, 2023 11:31AM
ISO cast aluminum SQHD center section
Thanks

Re: What kind of SQHD center section? November 12, 2023 01:03PM
I would like to buy one, call or text me 937-726-7788

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009