NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS March 11, 2009 01:51AM
I AM LOOKING TO BUILD OR BUY PARTITALLY FINISHED A LLS - FOR RELIABLITY WHICH IS THE WAY TO GO DIESEL OR ALCOHOL? I DO NOT WANT TO BE REPLACING PISTONS AND BLOCKS ALL THE TIME? IF ALCOHOL IS THE ANSWER SHOULD I CONVERT A DIESEL TO ALCOHOL OR GET AN OLD GAS MOTOR TO WORK WITH? ANY HELP AND TIPS WOULD HELP. tHANK YOU.

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS March 11, 2009 02:48AM
My opinion is that neither will be harder on pistons, blocks, etc. If you push either to the limit you will occasionally go over & if you run either conservatively you should only have to replace rings & bearings every year at the most.

The fuel system is where the diesel can get expensive to maintain & a diesel is probably a little harder on turbos because you are going to run tighter housings & spin them harder.

My $.02

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 03, 2009 03:28PM
I know I am going to sound stupid, but what does an alcohol burner use for a puel system...a diesel uses and injection pump with individual lines and injectors, what do they use? I havent been around but a handful of alky burners and dont have a clue. Any insight?

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 04, 2009 04:57AM
Hilborn has a system for turbo-charged applications, it is very simple and very tune-able. Depending on the amount of boost (for a LL), using a single 3x4 (I think ORV uses this rule), a single pump pushes fuel through check valves and boost referenced valves through injectors that are mounted in the intake manifold. For a LL, 3 injectors per cylinder should be effiecient enough. As boost and rpms increase, more injectors open up and add more fuel. Hope this helps.

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 04, 2009 06:27AM
How much is a system to run on a tractor? Would one of these Systems be upgradable if you were going to add more chargers, or would you buy another system? I know I sound rediculous but I have no clue about these setups and I really would like to build a tractor...and I heard the light limited class is by ar the most economical.

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 04, 2009 09:39AM
An Alcohol system for a LLSS would be in the range of $2500 to $4000 for a fairly complete set up. It would be capable of most of your power upgrades with minnimal additional costs until you stepped up into the LSS class with bigger cubes and a multi charger setup.

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 04, 2009 10:14AM
We run the same fuel system on our llss as the lss, just different pump sizes.

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 04, 2009 03:27PM
Chris and Wayne, thanks for your info. Are you all running an off the shelf type unit? Which brand is it? Where can I find more info?

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 04, 2009 11:21PM
For the most part, they are off the shelf Hilborn parts. Try Brent at Gene's Machine. They are listed in the builder links page.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2009 09:47AM by Wayne S..

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 05, 2009 05:22AM
the parts are off the shelf & most are availible from both Hilborn & Enderle. The setup is the key & not off the shelf by any means & that is where Brent, Bryan Conners, and several others earn their money.

Re: NEW 2 LL QUESTIONS May 05, 2009 09:45AM
Call Brent at GMS. We get all our parts from him, works great!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,776, Posts: 229,946, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,032.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009