Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 24, 2014 10:26AM
All in what you like

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 24, 2014 11:46AM
You want to compete with this?? Why?? It's like pro wrestling with tires and motors included, it's not competition, it' destruction....

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 24, 2014 12:37PM
I have always thought pulling needs to do more to keep the crowd's interest. Pulling has along way to go to be professional sport. The quality of the machines are at professional level but the show is not.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 24, 2014 01:15PM
To me the exciting side of pulling is following the people and the machines , not just on the track but also in the pit area with something crazy to see at every pull, new ideas new paint schemes the art and fabrication and design is something I enjoy besides watching them on the track, however I do agree some of the down time between pulls gets boring but it is what you make of it with many new and improved machines coming for 2014 I'm just as excited as always!

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 24, 2014 03:11PM
I've got to be honest it was pretty awesome! Not sure it needs to compete. Some of best memories i have are going to tractor pulls like Erie county fair Bull pull and hand in hand with the tractors were monster trucks. They compliment each other, rowdy trucks and powerful tractors. Its what we were raised with and what its all about.

Monster trucks were born through pulling January 25, 2014 02:35AM
Monster trucks exist because pulling gave them a chance. Monster trucks have forgotten their roots. Without promoters allowing guys like Bob Chandler to do exhibitions, monster tricks would have had a tougher time taking off. They (trucks) changed with the times and demographics of the population. The marketing gurus or lack there of are still stuck in the 1980s. That's why the spirt hasn't grown, it never adapted to try and draw in new fans.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 26, 2014 10:32AM
Until the pullers start getting paid a decent amount to win a pull, tractor pulling will not compete with other motor sports. The pullers put hundreds of thousands of dollar into their machines and even more in repairs and getting to the pulls to win only thousands of dollars. Big time tractor pulling needs to start giving money back to the pullers so they aren't losing but loads of money ever season they compete. Pulling has become less of a "hobby" over the years.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 26, 2014 11:46AM
We have to get more fans at the pulls, it's as simple as that.

Jason Schultz
Call or Text 608 604 5068
Email jason@beermoneypullingteam.com
Beer Money Pulling Team Merchandise [beermoneypullingteam.com]

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 26, 2014 12:18PM
it does not matter how much the pullers get paid, it.s about more entertainment for the fans. face it, there is 15 seconds of action and 5 minutes of nothing. there needs needs to be other things for the fans to watch. if you look at the crowd of a monster truck show there are thousands of kids, a tractor pull is all adults, no why to grow the sport. sure the sport needs more fans, the question how does the sport do that.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 27, 2014 10:44AM
I may be the odd man out I watched for a min then closed the link I was bored. I go to as many pulls as I have time to attend in the summer and the well run pulls with 2 tracks go smooth dont have much down time and what I want to watch. I have seen truck shows and was entertained I was about 16 the fact that at most of the shows many or all of the trucks were owned by 1,2 or 3 people took somthing away from the idea that it was contest. Like I say I may be on the wrong side but thats makes the country great you can watch what you like and if you dont like it you dont go. I was at a pull a few years back when Chris Little said trucks are for going to look at your crops or going to get beer in

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 27, 2014 06:54PM
I apologize for the lengthy response, but this is my passion, agriculture education as in educating others about the greatest industry in America, to which truck and tractor pulling belongs. In reference to this particular dilemma, I think we often times think to close when we need to be thinking bigger.

I agree that you don't see as many kids, or fans for that matter, at tractor pulls as you would say a monster truck show. Why is that? Simple in my book, pulling has followed the agriculture industry as a whole because it is industry specific. Unlike NASCAR, NHRA, Monster Jam, or UFC for that matter, for the most part, pulling has maintained a small target audience. The number of farms are decreasing but increasing in size. Moving forward, unless you are lucky enough to be a farm kid growing up, it is not common to see that child go back home to a farm, or even work in an ag industry job. It is simple exposure and do they know the ag industry exists?

Internally within the sport itself, I don't think it has anything to do with engine combinations, color of tractor, or anything like that; rather, I truly believe it has everything to do with exposure. While other motorsports' fan bases seem to grow, I have a feeling the pulling fan base is either shrinking in mere numbers or the median age is increasing (meaning getting older) or both. We will always keep the true pulling fan, not worries there. Sure, a few will be gained along the way, but no significant number. And we certainly do not see new fans coming in droves to the pulling events.

For instance, although having an agriculture background, I work for the "good neighbor." According to the execs here in my division, they do not have a standalone agriculture division. I keep tractor pulling in front of my kids (I expose them to it) via YouTube and getting to go to Henry and our local county fair each year because I love it. We hit one local farm toy show a year and that is it. My boys love it (early grade school ages). They also love monster trucks. We also watch those on YouTube, TV, and get to go to one local Monster Jam show. It satisfies all year long.

Now as a parent, I think back to Christmas over the last couple of years. Here in central IL, TSC, Rural King, and Farm and Fleet had horrible farm toy selections. The best places to go were the local dealer or Big R. Virtually nothing at ToysRUs, Walmart, or Target as well. How many "city" parents are going to make a special effort to find an implement dealer or a rare "farm" store to pick up farm toys? If you don't find it at the big box stores, it doesn't get bought. And yes, as a father, I also say we compete against technology, as in toys, games, etc. Whether we want to admit it or not, exposure to the ag industry affects tractor pull attendance. This is where retail marketing comes into play.

On the other hand, go try to find a Hot Wheel Monster Jam monster truck? You have 20 different options at Walmart or ToysRUs. As a kid, what would you start to like? Considering any of the one or two items at the box stores is John Deere and is the same stuff they had for the last couple of year, I know what choice I would make.

How do we correct it? One way is we have to get in the major media markets...all year long. Not everyone has RFD or MavTV. To get anyone's attention, it needs to be on a big network, and consistently at that. That takes major dollars and I am not sure pulling has those funds to make it happen unfortunately.

We need big events in big media markets as well. Sticking with our county fairs is not going to grow the sport. But this too takes lots of bucks.

Exposure equals retail marketing and brand awareness. Don't believe me? Shy of the rural farming communities, go into any "city" or "urban" pre-school or grade school class and ask any kid what their favorite tractor is. No matter what color of skin, gender, or socio-economic background they are raised in, I would bet money that nearly every single one will say "John Deere." Why? Marketing. John Deere has been brilliant in marketing their name and exposing kids to their name and products. John Deere's increasing retail revenues will not rely on the older generations, rather it will be with the kids. Any industry who wanted to brand their product with John Deere logos, etc. got to do so at free will, just pay the fee. Can you buy any tractor fabric at Hobby Lobby, the chain fabric stores, or Walmart to have grandma make the kid a blanket? Yep sure can and your choices are John Deere, John Deere, and three other patterns of John Deere. As mentioned by our local fabric department lady, "I didn't know anyone else made tractors besides John Deere." How about shirts at Children's Place for the kids? Yep, all John Deere. All the other manufacturers, including CNH, are light years behind John Deere. I fought this so bad when I worked at the dealer it made me ill and I could never understand why they were so far behind the curve.

I apologize for my lengthy post but I guilty of loving the agriculture industry, what it has done in my life and for my family. The opinions above are just that, opinions from my personal experiences. It’s easy to talk about a fix but correcting the problem will be a monumental task, especially with the costs to make it happen. Thank you for your time.

Aaron

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 12:33AM
How much work is it to spice up the shows with pyrotechnics like the monster truck shows? Shoot sparks or something off for every full pull, build some excitement, get a DJ and play something before each puller like they do for bullriders? Good announcers/sound systems so the crowd has a clue whats going on. Good track lighting, I don't know how many pulls I've went to with nothing more than pretty much yard lights for lighting...

Just some thinking out loud here..

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 02:29PM
We do pulls in Texas, We do professional fireworks when the weight changes in the sled and after the pull. And after that we do a concert following the pull each night, It has been been working for us very well, never heard anyone say they're bored...We also have a pedal tractor pull for the kids. We have a FB page. Facebook

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 29, 2014 02:44AM
Wow, some really insightful thought processes and reading in the above posts--much bettter than reading about who is cheating in super pro light farm 4X4 stock pulling. Competitors/owners have to realize they are not singly better than the overall sport itself. You can be sure that the MT guys realize which side of the bread the butter is on. They realize that what they have is entertainment. Some pullers have not come to that realization and it affects the sport in a big way. JW

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this March 04, 2014 02:08AM
I realize this thread is old, but I came across an article in the Feb edition of Progressive Farmer that spoke volumes to me. We have simply allowed those who are afar off to teach the American public about the agriculture industry, and everything within it including truck and tractor pulling. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did. And if not, please pardon my passion for education and exposure.
Attachments:
open | download - Its Time To Get Personal.pdf (58.5 KB)

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 27, 2014 01:29AM
If there was not a smile on your face while watching that, there is something wrong!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 12:50AM
I don't get it. Anyone can go flip a truck and destroy parts. Let's see that guy get one of the top light supers hooked to and down the track.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 02:38AM
CRH, I do understand your point. Pulling is probably more closely related to NHRA racing than anything, not only because of the short sprint to the end of the track, but because it truly is a driver's sport. One simply happens to be on pavement and the other on dirt. But wow, ESPN can make an entire show about a weekend drag racing event, and they have for many years. With drag racing and monster trucks, in many cases, they show nearly just as much pit/mechanical work as they do actual racing. Its intriguing to people. Maybe there could be a little more emphasis put on that if ever there was a programming change for pulling.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 05:47AM
First off, I didn't intend for this to be so long when I started typing.

I agree with the statements from mmztu about the marketing.

I would add that for the shows already on RFD and MavTV (although I have not seen many of the MavTV shows), is to make sure you show the entire class. The RFD shows are notorious for only showing 10-20 hooks per show, whether there are 10 tractors in the class, or 54 (like the Saturday night PS class at BG). If a class has 54, show 54 tractors. Make it a special hour long show, because places like BG and Tomah are special; they are the Super Nationals and should be treated as such. If you need more time to fill, wander through the pits, or have segments like NASCAR does in the pits where they explain what pullers mean by "move 100 back" and how that affects the vehicle; just basic physics of a pulling tractor. Just like NASCAR, there will always be people just tuning in for the first time. The trick is to inform them without talking down to them and making the first time viewer feel dumb.

Another thing that could be tried is an actual live pulling event. Then I could understand talking between hooks and such. When the show is viewed months later, the babbling serves little purpose since most of the fans watching already know what happened, since there are results posted online shortly after the event concludes.

As is with anything, it takes money to do this. But instead of looking at it as a cost or promotion, consider it as an investment on future audiences. I am by no means an expert, but considering the above mentioned increase in median age, the people that know about pulling are becoming fewer and farther between.

Take the NFL for instance. Most people on this forum are too young to remember Jim Brown or Johnny Unitas, etc. but how many can spout off their stats relatively easy? Most of us today know about the players of old through NFL Films. There are many videos of old pulls posted online, some of which are my own handiwork. But we've only scratched the surface. There needs to be a historical pulling show put on as a supplement to the RFD & MavTV shows in order to educate fans new and old of where this sport has been and how far it has come. There have to be reels and reels of old footage in places like the Bowling Green State University archives, TNN and TNT shows of old from BG, the Indy Super Pull and other venues.

Like it or not, the typical (although somewhat stereotyped) demographic for pulling is one that drinks beer, chews, rubs etc. And it was advertised as such with the inflatable beer cans in the weight box of the sled, massive sponsorships from Red Man, Copenhagen/Skoal, Budweiser, Busch, (Winston in NASCAR) etc. Although beer ads are still seen everyday and twice on Sunday (thanks to football), tobacco ads have been banned for years, and my guess is that sponsorship of a sport constitutes advertising, and as a result, pulling lost much of the clout it had in the 80s and 90s because it didn't have that sponsorship money to get on major channels like ESPN and so forth.

But back to the original question, I too liken monster trucks to pro wrestling, since the most popular part is the freestyle events, which are hardly objective in determining a winner. The racing is the only part that is a true competition, but that doesn't make for good TV. And yes, any schmoe can go out there and tear their truck up and get the crowd excited, so that takes part of the excitement away for me.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 10:08AM
I have pulled up in Canada and it reminded me of when I was younger and there was standing room only at pulls. Ever watch videos of pulling in Europe? They have bells, horns, whistles and play techno music. Hardly any pulls I go to play music or anything else, they use an announcer to fill the void between hooks (We are all thankful for a good announcer!). People want to be entertained, the more you can put in front of them the more engaged they will be.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 28, 2014 01:39PM
To add something to this post from Oliver1655, and I serious hate to even mention this because of the reactions from some, but how is NHRA, Monster Jam, NASCAR, NFL, or MLB able to put on such productions? One sanctioning body. There is power in numbers. Many of us can take a glimpse in the not too far past and see what happened in Indy Car racing. How can we get TV productions of 30-50 pulls in a single class, like having a Bowling Green for each broadcast ? It will not happen with the number of sanctioning bodies currently representing pulling. Unfortunately, to the general public, it MAY look like the theory of "this is my sandbox and if you don't play by my rules, get out." I am not saying I am for this, but for the betterment and longevity of the sport, it may need to be looked at somewhere in the future. I am not getting political with that statement nor do I favor one versus the other. Let's just keep in mind the old proverb " a house divided against itself shall not prosper."

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 29, 2014 03:16AM
The monster trucks are a whole different deal .The same mentality that like to see wrecks at car races.They have to get paid well as they destroy thousands of $ worth of equiptment everynight.The young fans love them and they sell as many t-shirts and paraphernalia as any motorsport except NASCAR.They actually are promoted like Pro Wrestling but seems to work.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 29, 2014 04:57AM
The top monster trucks are owned by the network, we work with a supplier for parts, have looked at the PO's cut by ---- motorsports!
Just like the dirt for all the supper cross races you see on TV. I love Mr Lucas for all he has done for motorsports but when two big check books go head to head (Traxxas) we all lose,say what you want but lived it first hand.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this January 29, 2014 05:10AM
Supercross..darn auto correction!

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this March 05, 2014 06:21AM
I do agree that sanctioning bodies need to reinvent themselves, much like NTPA originally did in 1969. There are too many sanctioning bodies out there for pulling to be taken seriously like NHRA & NASCAR. Rules need straightened out once again so classes are pared back and equal across all formats. Merge Super Farm, Limited Pro and Light Pro (with various, although temporary handicaps and set a date that everything has to be under one size charger/pump/cubic inches), although many pullers are switching to the Light Pro class already on their own. I don't know if this can be achieved in SS with alky and diesel. I have my doubts if lowering the drawbar on alky tractors would level the field enough, but I think everyone can agree that separating them, while a good thing when it first happened, is now hurting the numbers in both classes.

Many factors have contributed to the decline of pulling, but one big piece was when NTPA gave up on Region I, which was of considerable size. I just briefly talked to another fan at Keystone a couple years ago, and he was in agreement that pulling hasn't been the same since Region I tanked. That's not to say pulling out there isn't as good, but it negatively impacted pulling on the national level, because NTPA doesn't have any GN events further east than BG. Years ago, they pulled at Canfield and Columbus, Ohio (although the Ohio State Fair thing was the fair board kicking out tractor pulling), Essex Junction, VT and even little old Waynesburg, PA had GN pro stocks one year (1998). Even PPL primarily operates in the heartland, much like NTPA, although it is refreshing to hear the news of a PPL pull in Arizona. Hopefully that will help with further exposure.

One other thing to consider is a brief stadium series, much like the Shell Rotella Cup does with a mini-points series. Maybe have it in the south, during the colder months, either after the regular season or before the following one. The one prohibiting factor would be funding, which I imagine would be considerable for a football stadium.

As for exposing kids, one positive thing out there now is a farming video game, Farming Simulator. I've never played it, but it's my understanding that pretty much any brand under the sun is available and you do all kinds of things, even going to a pull.

Re: how does tractor pulling compete with this March 06, 2014 04:29AM
Oliver 1655 has a good point about the Farming games out there now. I have been a longtime fan of the Farming simulator series and now it being available on Xbox and PS3 is just helping spread the tractor experiance to a hole new crop of people who would otherwise be ignorant to tractors. I work in the wood working industry and found that some of my peers accross Canada have gotten hooked on the game even though they have never seen a tractor up close or stepped foot on a farm. There are "mods" for pulling for the PC versions of these games, they are not quite physically correct in my opinion but i think that the platform that Giant software ( makers of Farming simulator game ) has going with the farming game would make a good base for a truck and tractor Pulling spinoff /expansion. I am sure they get that exact request every day, I know i sent one in Spinning

2 poor 2 pull :-(

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM