Computerized fuel injection January 27, 2014 11:33AM
When will tractor pulling step up it's game and use computerized fuel injection. As money doesn't seem to be a factor in circuit pulling it would seem to have some real advantages. Build power without blowing all that wasted fuel out the stack. Be able to automatically adjust power output as needed and a whole lot more. Is anyone working on this now?

Re: Computerized fuel injection January 27, 2014 11:53AM
Their was a light super JD at Gordyville with EFI. They said he had to take it off before the season started this year.

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 02:38AM
We run electronic on our alcohol natural super stock with illini state pullers

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 03:56AM
As far as cleaning up smoke it will not. You might drive a new vehicle or tractor the is controlled by a ecm and runs clean but you have never been around one that is pushed like the motors are in pulling they will smoke as bad or worse, seen it & doing it. This is a really bad idea! to allow the computer age to enter pulling! If this would happen it will become a money game that has never been seen before with money being spent on computer science and engineers to make and modify programs. Not alone the cost of having a electronic custom injectors built to handle the amount of fuel needed. And yes there a marine Injectors for some but the have there limits to. The sport is needing to have more vehicle in every class and to allow it I think will but more current pullers OFF the track.

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 04:26AM
The system that we run on our tractor grant it does not have a turbo setup up but is very comparable in price to a mechanical system you still have to set your tune it helps a lot with not over fueling at an idle and very quick to change your tune

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 05:12AM
The cost isn't that much different, there are already companies that make really good ECM's already, I don't know if its good for the sport or not. The old order pullers will struggle with it. But the younger guys will not understand why the tractors don't run EFI. I think with time EFI will take over. I personally would love to try a llss with EFI and COP (coil over plug), no distributor or wire ark, and very tunable for fluctuating weather conditions. But then again, If you know what your doing, you should be able to make them run perfect with mechanical injection also. Some of the first turbo engines were carbureted, and that is gone too. Tuning ether way will go to the guys that are paying attention to the weather and what's going on. That said, NO I'm not an expert, and really don't have a clue as to how to make an alky engine run, but when I try, It will be EFI.(probably, maybe).

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 09:55AM
Look at wat EFILive has done for the Duramax and the Cummins crowd. If you can dream it, you can tune it. With that being said I think you could do whatever you wanted with a puller and tune it however you wanted it to pull.

Is it the correct route? I dunno. But then again I'm small fish in this game

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 05:19AM
I may be wrong but in order to get the capibility for delevery on a injector like would be needed to get the power a puller would need, you are going to have to have overfuueling at any of the lower rpm causing the smoking and poor run conditions that go with that. Dont overthink it if you could use all the fuel that your injecting as efficently as you are on a new clean engine in a puller it would be more power, but it aint gonna happen

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 05:54AM
The way I look at it from the gas/alcohol side is that the guys that first started out with carbs were completely against moving to mechanical injection but everyone changed and adapted to it so I think that the electronic injection is coming its just going to take more people going out on a limb to see if it works and makes better power and makes engines last longer to get the guys refusing any change to adapt

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 06:38AM
It is ridiculous in 2014 that you can't run EFI on a pulling tractor, it's not any more expensive and so much more simple. This isn't 1984 it's 2014 lets start allowing people to use tech. from this decade.

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 09:33AM
Look what EFI has done in drag racing. It has put a big dent in the old saying that nothing beats cubic inches. Carburetors and mechanical injection are all but obsolete. As far as a money game, with tractors >300,000.00, it appears like that horse is already out of the barn.

I can understand why drag racing PS has not allowed it. There would be door slammers in the 5's if they do. It may be time for them to rethink going back to small blocks. Drag racing and pulling seem to have the same problems. They let engines get too big and cars too fast and no one has the stones to slow them down in a way where it regains some sanity. The other auto racing venues have all done so and it's been for the better.

EFI has allowed sportsman drag racers to go fast on about 1/3 the money they used to spend on cubic inches, EFI could do the same for pulling, and allow more performance without all these absurd prices being paid for old school technology.

Spending 200,000.00 for a pulling engine and having to run it on 19th century technology is a bit silly.

Remember when component tractors, and roll cages were going to destroy pulling.

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 01:08PM
Yes your right components has just about killed there classes they only have a small hand full in each state they need to be called ss log skidder classes and getting less all the time

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 02:21PM
Well said. They should have stayed in mods. Look what cast chassis has done for organizations that do not allow components in the light super class. They have more numbers plus more colors and what everyone fights about akly running with diesels.

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 04, 2014 03:39PM
Is efi allowed on any two wheel drive pulling truck?

Re: Computerized fuel injection February 05, 2014 05:38AM
I believe so. Allowing it opens up traction control and a vehicle that is self controlled. It could happen but there is a lot of rule making to take place first. And how you will tech these. In classes that have pump limits how will you make rules and tech and control these classes. Mainly talking diesel classes here.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM