pulling style "trends" February 08, 2014 01:32AM
What are some unlikely trends in pulling that seemed to have taken off after some criticism at first? I have Lustik's Silver Bullet when they came out with the miter cut stacks, those were criticized at first but there's more of the style out there now. Also have Staab's Full Throttle Deere with it's low rider stance, look how many tractors now have a down low cage where the driver can barely see over the steering wheel.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 08, 2014 01:45AM
Lance Littles" standard" tractor set a trend that not only got copied in the pulling world but made "standards" popular as collectors for all brands.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2014 12:51AM by benk.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 08, 2014 03:27PM
1) Cutting tire lugs down substantially in the 70's.
2) 70's low profile wedge style Mod chassis.
3) late 70's adding FWD.
4) 80's adding TWD.
5) late 90's component SSD.
6) late 90's rollcage.
7) 2000's component PS.
8) 2012 adding Light Unlimited. Still is controversial. Time will tell the story.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 09, 2014 03:14AM
I think one that has stuck with me over the years was the first mod tractors with the small airplane front tires. I think the Banter brothers started it. Although it wasn't as much a style thing as it was a necessarie part of making the engines all fit. I have to admit that I didn't like it at all but now I have two tractors with them. :-)

S'no Farmer

Re: pulling style "trends" February 12, 2014 12:56AM
Original post has been changed to reflect correct terminology , I guess people will just start calling them by the right name now.........#&% or whatever he calls himself must be a joy to live with!!

Re: pulling style "trends" February 09, 2014 12:06PM
I dunno who thinks any of the old style, wheatland tractors are good,, you never seen them pulling or blowing that much smoke from the factory?? Just dont mske any sence

Re: pulling style "trends" February 09, 2014 01:37PM
301 I think benk was refering to Lance's first use of the big round wheatland fenders on his 5010 or 5020 can't remember which. It is a style now used on most 5010,5020.6030's. I like the big round fenders that cover the tire when they have that super slick finish. His 830 2-lunger is a different story altoegether you love it or you hate it either way you still have to admit it is beautifully done.

iI

Re: pulling style "trends" February 09, 2014 02:08PM
There's been a general move towards making tractors look as good as they hook, especially in the last 10 years. The quality of the fit and finish on the tractors you're seeing out now is outstanding versus what we used to see. Look back at what the typical hot/pro farm looked like a decade ago and look at photos of those tractors from Gordyville this year...whole different animal.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: pulling style "trends" February 09, 2014 03:21PM
JD Boy
301 I think benk was refering to Lance's first use of the big round wheatland fenders on his 5010 or 5020 can't remember which. It is a style now used on most 5010,5020.6030's. I like the big round fenders that cover the tire when they have that super slick finish. His 830 2-lunger is a different story altoegether you love it or you hate it either way you still have to admit it is beautifully done.

The first wheatland was cool. The next 10 not so much! The 2 lunger is cute. :-)

iI

Re: pulling style "trends" February 09, 2014 03:39PM
There is no such thing as a "wheatland" 50-60 series tractor. They are Standard, Row- Crop, and Industrial. I think that is a trend that tractor pullers engage in and thus causes "urban legends". It's not the end of the world, but everyone today seems to have their own version of what IS...IS Hot

Those that think they have something special by calling it a wheatland are mistaken. Might as well call a row-crop 5020 a hi-crop, or a comfort king if it has a cab on it.

If by some chance someone has a JD document verifying a 5010-6030 "wheatland" I'd like to see it.

Tractor pullers have created their own version of things, or Dialect.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 10, 2014 02:25AM
If you look at the front axle and Fenders on a 6030, it listed it as a "Standard" which some called Wheatland tractors.. (Mainly on 2 cylinders.) This is using JD Web Parts..

Re: pulling style "trends" February 10, 2014 02:04PM
*** or whatever your handle is I guess I took it for granted that everyone realized a standard and a wheatland are the same thing. Sorry to cause you a problem, my intentions were honest and I was not trying to add to the so-called style naming conspiracy. Urban Legends? Dude you need to ease up a little we're discussing tractors not life or death here. Brian Lively you hit the nail on the head 99 percent of the tractors today regardless of their brand or style are works of art. just like you said even the entry class tractors are simply beautiful. I got a kick out of the old pulling pics on another post that showed the 1986 prostock class at Louisville. I remember looking at them in Broadbent and marveling at how awesome they looked. Now compared to todays tractors they look like scrap, for me you just kinda loose track of how thing have advanced. Keep up the good work!

Re: pulling style "trends" February 10, 2014 07:34PM
JD Boy
*** or whatever your handle is I guess I took it for granted that everyone realized a standard and a wheatland are the same thing. Sorry to cause you a problem, my intentions were honest and I was not trying to add to the so-called style naming conspiracy. Urban Legends? Dude you need to ease up a little we're discussing tractors not life or death here. Brian Lively you hit the nail on the head 99 percent of the tractors today regardless of their brand or style are works of art. just like you said even the entry class tractors are simply beautiful. I got a kick out of the old pulling pics on another post that showed the 1986 prostock class at Louisville. I remember looking at them in Broadbent and marveling at how awesome they looked. Now compared to todays tractors they look like scrap, for me you just kinda loose track of how thing have advanced. Keep up the good work!

Why should I ease up, the pullers are wrong. Y'all can talk how you want, but telling someone to ease up because "your" wrong sounds like you don't care what the tractor is. 2 cyl tractors actually had Wheatland packages on them as an option. but there no 6030-5010 wheatland fenders. Period, and JD never referred to them a wheatland..Seems the ones that should ease up are the ones that keep the rumor rolling. Just look up 2 cyl wheatland or rice packages and then look at a 5010-6030, and they would have no use for these parts as the tractor is made totally different.. Basically the wheatland gear was brake covers and pully guards to keep wheat from getting wrapped up in the rotating parts, Unless I am proven wrong and I have the sales books from that era. It is tractor pullers that should be easing up and straightening this out.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 03:03AM
"Why should I ease up, the pullers are wrong. Y'all can talk how you want, but telling someone to ease up because "your" wrong sounds like you don't care what the tractor is. 2 cyl tractors actually had Wheatland packages on them as an option. but there no 6030-5010 wheatland fenders. Period, and JD never referred to them a wheatland..Seems the ones that should ease up are the ones that keep the rumor rolling. Just look up 2 cyl wheatland or rice packages and then look at a 5010-6030, and they would have no use for these parts as the tractor is made totally different.. Basically the wheatland gear was brake covers and pully guards to keep wheat from getting wrapped up in the rotating parts, Unless I am proven wrong and I have the sales books from that era. It is tractor pullers that should be easing up and straightening this out."

LIGHTEN UP. Last time I checked we weren't running numbers-matching tractors with authenticated build codes and period-correct tires and paint splatter on the transmission case that mirrors how someone lathered the case up too much on a bad day on the assembly line. If Lance Little (JUST an example Lance) wants to build X tractor and call it a "My Little Pony" version of that tractor...SO BE IT. Standard...Wheatland...Row Crop...Low Profile...Whatever... LET IT SLIDE.. The only two people whose opinion matters about how the tractor is referred to is 1) the builder and 2) the dude scratching the checks to get it built, and it may be the same guy.

I feel better, excuse me while I go work on my low-profile G705 Moline Drinking

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 08:27AM
Bryan Lively
"Why should I ease up, the pullers are wrong. Y'all can talk how you want, but telling someone to ease up because "your" wrong sounds like you don't care what the tractor is. 2 cyl tractors actually had Wheatland packages on them as an option. but there no 6030-5010 wheatland fenders. Period, and JD never referred to them a wheatland..Seems the ones that should ease up are the ones that keep the rumor rolling. Just look up 2 cyl wheatland or rice packages and then look at a 5010-6030, and they would have no use for these parts as the tractor is made totally different.. Basically the wheatland gear was brake covers and pully guards to keep wheat from getting wrapped up in the rotating parts, Unless I am proven wrong and I have the sales books from that era. It is tractor pullers that should be easing up and straightening this out."

LIGHTEN UP. Last time I checked we weren't running numbers-matching tractors with authenticated build codes and period-correct tires and paint splatter on the transmission case that mirrors how someone lathered the case up too much on a bad day on the assembly line. If Lance Little (JUST an example Lance) wants to build X tractor and call it a "My Little Pony" version of that tractor...SO BE IT. Standard...Wheatland...Row Crop...Low Profile...Whatever... LET IT SLIDE.. The only two people whose opinion matters about how the tractor is referred to is 1) the builder and 2) the dude scratching the checks to get it built, and it may be the same guy.

I feel better, excuse me while I go work on my low-profile G705 Moline Drinking

This is undeniably the biggest "TREND" in tractor pulling. When someone points out something to you the SOP is to attack the messenger. Even other pullers have spoke of it. Mr Livelys comments especially displayed this "ATTITUDE TREND"

There is more to it than the #1 and #2 in your comment, Bryan

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 09:21AM
I'm simply pointing out that there's no need to be a traditionalist about the tractors. Had these tractors...any of them...been a barn fresh tractor, that's one story. We need to be realistic about how much of these tractors are "tractors" in the traditional sense. Even then, no matter what a JD book/manual states arguing the semantics to shame a puller or pullers is not a productive activity. 4 in 10 of us in the stands make any effort to understand the product, the other six could give a flying flip about the factory-correct way to refer to a tractor. We will have to agree to disagree about who defines what something is. The builder and the person funding the build have the most say, not you or I.

Again, these are pulling tractors. If we were in the business of restoring tractors to period-correct machines, I fully agree its appropriate to define them as what they were from the factory. Its applying rules about an apple to an orange.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 10:33AM
Were are somewhat in agreement.

I was just pointing out that calling them wheatland is deceptive as there are actually tractors that are such. I attempt to shame no one, but as long as Mr little is the example why don't he just call them Tantrum fenders ?

As far as my Attitude Trend, comment, Pulling is becoming like the Snowboarders that have invaded the Olympics. Very Beautiful equipment, serious lack, and disregard of public perception. They basically thumb their noses at the very folks that make it all possible. It's the stupid fan syndrome. How far would JFR get, getting on the internet and bashing the spectators.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 11:09AM
Truth is those six in ten, though they may be ignorant of whatever feature on a tractor or truck, they are there for the smoke, the noise, the atmosphere, and thats' fine. I hope they join the other four in ten that enjoys the sport like we do, and thats a big part and function of my work, to promote and draw them into the sport and show that its' the best bang for the buck out there in motorsports. If they do not, I hope that the smoke/noise/atmosphere they get at any event is enough to bring them back again and again, and at multiple events. I think it's the exact opposite in reference to the snowboarder comment--the professionalism that many teams have adopted, their efforts to promote their equipment and the overall product, is becoming more abundant. I can't keep up with Hero Card orders as it is, Ive got four new sets at Louisville this week and no doubt most of them will be gone by the end of the week. That is specific evidence to me that teams are wanting to engage the fans in a meaningful manner, not thumbing their noses whatsoever.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 02:39PM
dear mister *>* have you ever needed to blow your nose and asked for a kleenex? sorry but it's technically a tissue unless its actually kleenex brand. i hope you never say that and keep that "urban legand" alive. have you ever called an ih a binder? well technically it's not. we tractor pullers are being "deceptive" by calling them wheatlands? seriiously? who are we "deceving"? are people running to their john deere dealers and looking to buy a brand new wheatland 5010? are the dealers confused by the wheatland term and selling them an 8345r instead? i grew up calling a forage harvestor a "chopper" because it "chops" corn and maybe its not technically correct but its a pretty common way to reference the machine. whealand is comon so get over it. you my friend may technically be correct and yes we know its not a wheatland but thats what many people call it that. if we want to stay technical then please note that you technically are being percieved as an anus.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 02:56PM
I agree with technically, I've always referred to them as wheatlands as do 90% of the people that talk about them, yes technically you are correct and if that makes you feel good, good for you ! Slang is common in tractor pulling as it is just about everywhere else so if I want to call them wheatlands I'm gona call the damn things wheatlands people seem to be familiar with the term and then understand what is being talked about !

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 05:11PM
So calling any Camaro a Z-28, ZL1, or a Mustang a Shelby or a retro build it your self car, an AC cobra. I know you don't care when someone such as me comments on your tractor and you proudly claim it's a wheatland, or to other spectators that may be collectors, or even well versed on the model. They immediately get the impression you don't have a clue what you have. The Announcers the editors all of you, could care less if it's correct or not. Sooner or later someone like that auction house will advertise one and Describe it in a way that it has to be a rare version as no one has ever seen one and the misinformed get's clipped double for what it is. worth. Hey I got a GM LS Denali, 6.0 w/Allison. It's so rare the auction houses are willing to pay me double.....Better get it while its available.These trucks are really hard to find.

I'm sure if you were to advertise a ford mustang as a Shelby and get a huge price you would be explaining why you pawned off a regular mustang with decals that made it a counterfeit car. You pullers think everything revolves around you, but it can effect many other things that are beyond your ability to understand.

I've always been puzzled as to how an announcer, or a magazine publisher thinks that their lack of proper nomenclature is ignored and overlooked. News casters, track-side interviews that are by those that are clueless and spokesman who are even less versed, are highly scrutinized. Let's face it if y'all can't even understand just what is on your tractor, the public will notice, and your wow factor drops.

We all have heard the commentator say something stupid by mistake, or describe a part wrong and we say,,,, what a jackass, you'd think they could at least get somebody that knows tractors To do the announcing.

Attitude Trend Eye Rolling

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 05:31PM
Just for clarification can you tell us where these "standard" John Deere models (assuming these are what people refer to as a wheatland) were designed to do ? Correct me if I'm wrong and I'm sure you will, but since they had wide tires and no 3 point hitches and some maybe even without a pto wouldn't one think maybe they were built to work in wheat fields?

Re: pulling style "trends" February 12, 2014 01:03AM
dear %~) - calling a standard a wheatland is like calling a mustang a pony car. its common slang and everyone knows what your talking about. it doesnt mislead anyone. infact I think more people call it a wheatland and it seems everyone on here agrees with me. maybe since they uses it in WHEATFIELDS. please look up the terms colloquialism and slang. everyone understands that you are technically correct but everyone also understand that if you call a chevrolet a chevy you aren't misleading anyone because more people call them a chevy.
more people say wheatland than standard
more people say chevy than chevrolet
I bet that if you went to almost any deere dealer and asked for wheatland fenders for a 6030 they would know what you are talking about. infact if you ask for wheatland fenders you will probably get the correct fenders 99 out of 100 times. if you ask for "standard" fenders youll probably need to clarify exactly which one you consider "standard" since standard can also be defined as usual or common and the common fender for a 6030 is a much smaller fender.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 12, 2014 02:31PM
Team One
The same purpose that the D,AR,BR,R,80,820,830,8010, & Steam Engines,and so on, and a few I left out. There are wheatland versions of "some" of these models, and was just a package to prevent issues from wheat stubble. Sorta similar to the skid plates on your PU truck. The Rice tractors in earlier models were similar with packages for mud. A standard is just a tractor that does not need to be adjustable. These tractors were sold in large numbers until the demand for large row-crop tractors developed. Deere spent a huge sum of money creating these huge fenders and it had little, no pun, if anything to do with wheat farmers. Most did have pto, and 3 pt. There are even a small number of 6030's that were N/A and had the air cleaner in the front. Hopefully none of them were cut up for pulling tractors. They were a blunder on JD's part, just like the first 6.9/7.3 Fords were.

I'd bet that those that are making a joke of this at "the" pull were not even born when these tractors were built, most of them were home schooled at tractor pulls, so some of it is understandable.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 12, 2014 06:19PM
Here's my final comment, and it has a couple layers.

First off, in my youth I thought all rotary cutters were bush hogs. I also believed that all skid steers were bobcats. All mower-conditioners were Haybines...it was a part of the culture I lived in to refer to these implements in that matter. Kinda like calling a copier made by company ______ a Xerox machine...or a circular saw being a Skil Saw, a reciprocating saw as a Sawzall...I hope where I'm going is being seen here.

Additionally, I take offense in the thought I'm duping folks when I refer to a tractor in a certain matter; I'm simply offering the common vernacular, the nomenclature that the public understands. Here's a crystal clear example:

Sports Illustrated, ESPN the Magazine, in a Sportscenter telecast, et.al. might have the following sentence in their work:

"Kevin Durant poured in 38 points on 9-15 shooting from three point land and a solid 11-11 shooting from the charity stripe with 11 dimes in a 105-95 win over the Bobcats."

In a technical sense, that sentence should read: "Kevin Durant scored 38 points based on shooting outside of the three point shot boundary located 23.75 feet from the center of the basket. He also completed 11 shots at the free throw line shooting perpendicular to the backboard. In the game he also completed 11 assists to his teammates, winning the contest 105-95 over the Bobcats." It could be much more technical and verbose than that.

ESPN, SI, et.al. won't be selling many magazines using the second example over the first in their work, though technically correct. Popular vernacular, which the casual observer understands, is appropriate in MOST instances in my opinion. Technically and historically correct vernacular has a place, and that's in the brand-related magazines like Red Power, Oliver Heritage, and Green Magazine--all GREAT magazines by the way. Unless the folks who read the publications I am a part of ask me to do different, I will continue to offer description of pulling vehicles in common, popular vernacular. In a real sense they own the products I produce, not me, and I didn't get to this spot in the sport by being a hack; I'll do what they ask of me.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: pulling style "trends" February 13, 2014 01:01AM
VERY NICE!!!

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 09:19AM
*.*
JD Boy

Why should I ease up, the pullers are wrong. Y'all can talk how you want, but telling someone to ease up because "your" wrong sounds like you don't care what the tractor is. 2 cyl tractors actually had Wheatland packages on them as an option. but there no 6030-5010 wheatland fenders. Period, and JD never referred to them a wheatland..Seems the ones that should ease up are the ones that keep the rumor rolling. Just look up 2 cyl wheatland or rice packages and then look at a 5010-6030, and they would have no use for these parts as the tractor is made totally different.. Basically the wheatland gear was brake covers and pully guards to keep wheat from getting wrapped up in the rotating parts, Unless I am proven wrong and I have the sales books from that era. It is tractor pullers that should be easing up and straightening this out.

[www.dupontregistry.com]

try doing a little google search..... Think you'll find the correct police have much bigger fish to fry than the tractor pullers creating all this urban legend LMAO!

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 12:43PM
Check this out
*.*
JD Boy

[www.dupontregistry.com]

try doing a little google search..... Think you'll find the correct police have much bigger fish to fry than the tractor pullers creating all this urban legend LMAO!

HaHaHa, yep, even the early 6030's were not available with 30.5-32's there were no ag tires in that size available.Then there was the story as to why 24.5-32"s were created. But who cares. Jus sayin Eye Rolling

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 10:34PM
Why the hell does it matter if you call it a wheatland or a standard. The full coverage fenders and dust shields were made for wheat fields. Therefore I'm going to keep referring to them as wheatland tractors. Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I dont care orrrr maybe I just think you need get over it and quit bein an ass over something that is very petty.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 11:03PM
All I know is that all this time i've been duped! They call it "Drag" racing and i've never seen them drag a damn thing! Not one has drug a pallet or a trailer or nothing. Who do I call about this?

Re: pulling style "trends" February 13, 2014 06:59AM
I LIKED THAT,I'M WITH YA,HA HA HA

Re: pulling style "trends" February 12, 2014 05:41PM
JD Boy,

Your post got caught up in the frenzy. Your comment about the 86 event and the works of art at the 2014 event. You can look back and recall what it took to put a tractor there in the years up to the mid 90's. It took a enormous amount of work and dedication, and sacrifice.. All because of a lot of very savvy and smart people. The works of art today are not in the same league as the tractors of yesterday. These works of art are only made possible by the huge funding by the taxpayers of today. If it were not for this welfare debacle most of those competitors there this week would spectators and be pulling garden tractors where they belong. There are only a select group of business today that can afford to dump a million dollars into toys that compete at county fairs, and spend 8-10 months a year playing with them. Pullers think that everyone is too stupid to know what is going on. The only reason this was extended is that there are more collecting welfare than there are those that are paying for it. A lot of the juveniles pulling today will live long enough to see it end. What will they do then. I grew up with farmers sons and daughters that had to leave the farm because a farmer with 4 children rapidly evolves into 5 family's to support.

I am awed at these marvels of craftsmanship as much or more than I may sound, as I know what it takes to be a craftsman, and how hard it is to pay the piper. Being forced to pay the majority of every dollar you can earn, makes it all the harder to look at these works of art, especially when you know how they are financed.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 12, 2014 11:38PM
If you don't like the things pullers do, why the hell are you on a forum called the pulloff?

Re: pulling style "trends" February 13, 2014 11:02AM
Wow! I kinda take offense at that. Granted, I don't do DSS or OSS or Mod, but do sink a lot of money into the class I pull in. It ain't cheap. And after 30 years of doing it, I could be very comfortable retired more than I am now. To say that pullers are using government money to pull is asinine. Why is it that some people have to put down others who are more affluent by way of their business sense, hard work, or sometimes plain luck. I really doubt there is much "governement money" in pulling. JW

Re: pulling style "trends" February 10, 2014 03:14AM
Todd, the first puller to run with the small airplane tires was the Walsh's Irish Challenger. I agree with Bryan, the paint jobs and craftsmanship are out of this world. The crews also should be commended as the "professional" look goes a long way. Makes for a very professional TV package.

Dan Mayer

www.pulling-reference.com
Dedicated to Preserving the History of Tractor & Truck Pulling

Re: pulling style "trends" February 10, 2014 02:51PM
Trends. There are all kinds if them. I remember going to a pull at Nebraska State Fair about '79 and we sat on big dirt clods as the race track bleachers and indoor were being built! Seen several trends back then, some right hand and left hand power super stocks, and some actual home made rigs in all forms. The quality of the tractors then were in the early works of what we see today. My dad still likes the looks of the old style tractors, not much for paint, slobbering fuel and a few oil leaks. He always says looks don't make them run any better, he has a point, to a degree. I think the quality and styles of today are no more than a current trend, to change again. Darin

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 02:24PM
Go to any national level pull and look at the tractors, trucks, haulers even the crews. Very professional looking. I think pulling is ready for the big time. There are a lot of smart people with deep pockets who want to make it so. I hope this is one of the "latest trends" for pulling.

Re: pulling style "trends" February 11, 2014 10:45PM
Hi there,

hopefully I will not get bashed, but I think in all the Tractor classes, especially Pro, LSS, SSO and SSD more and more tractors look a little bit like big Lawn Tractors. They have front wheels that are small in diameter but very wide, low but wide hoods and low cages together with big fenders. All this looks nice, but not like the "old style", eg. Cruisin' Mule, Iron Dragon, the old Lock and Load or the old Red Horse SSD. This is a very good example for the development we have, the new Red Horse is a great tractor and runs perfectly, but it has a completely different character than the old MX270. Of course the newer stock tractors look different from the older ones, too and that shows in the pulling version also.

Just my 2 cents...

Ralf

Re: pulling style "trends" February 13, 2014 04:39AM
The past twenty years one trend we have seen has been the addition of classes . Many of them with the intent of being less expensive to run but have grown well past what people can afford .

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,718, Posts: 229,834, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,083, Posts: 225,968.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro