Tractor February 09, 2014 02:23PM
I want to get a tractor to pull. Really don't know waht class to get in don't have alot of money right now or what brand I could get more for my buck. Any help would be nice.. Is the Hot Farm class the cheapest??

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 04:34AM
Farm stock would be the cheapest.

I'm an IH guy so I'd look for a decent looking and running 1066 and mess with the fuel screw. Then go have some fun at some local pulls.

Not sure what the JD guys use, a ford 9000 or 9600 would work as well.

But nothing in this sport is cheap!

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 09:03AM
these guys are right. I'm a green guy but you can't beat the price of the IH. plus the amount of parts and "add on's" are endless

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 05:45PM
I have pulled a few times just not wanting to tear up tractor with farm with so was thinking about getting something to turn up and hook.. I was thinking JD or IH does just heard you heard that was heard to make a IH run with a JD cause the 540 motors?? Think thats right.. What's some of the add on or cheap horsepower for the.. So good about the IH 1066 & 1466 over the other IH.. Not real sure what size to look at in Deere's.. Would be interested in one or the other.. I like MF but heard was really hard and costly to get the v8 to run with them..

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 10:40PM
What class are you looking to get into?

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 05:46AM
I ran a ford 9000 with a a pump 3 disk clutch 2.7 turbo truck head and truck intake, ran well had lots of fun. But think Lovespullin is on the right track for the money its tough to beat a good 10 or 1466 they are cheap to build and hold up real well. They also are hard to beat power and torque wise

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 01:49PM
They always told me the red tractors were the Chevy small block of tractor pulling.

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 02:52PM
Honestly, if you're just starting out and haven't had much seat time in a tractor period, and don't have much money, look for an old Farmall H or M, Oliver 77 or 88, JD A or G, etc. and get your feet wet in antique classes. There's no rule that farm stock can't be older than 1960. It depends on what classes are available in your area. It seems way too common these days that someone wants to take up a hobby, jumps in with both feet and gets in over their head. Too many times I've seen people that hop in the seat of a hopped up tractor, throw it in road gear (or close to it) and get more than they can handle because they've never hooked to a sled before.

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 03:26PM
I am admitted pretty biased but starting with an antique is the way to go. If you already have a decent way to haul the tractor around, a M, 77, or an 88 is the way to go. You can pull 4-6 times per event with a 3.5-4.5 mph top cut tire tractor for under 10K including as many weights as you want to throw. My next tractor will be a tractor on top cuts and 4000# bare, that way I can pull in the most populated classes from 4500 to 6000.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Tractor February 10, 2014 05:51PM
I have pulled a few times just not wanting to tear up tractor with farm with so was thinking about getting something to turn up and hook.. I was thinking JD or IH does just heard you heard that was heard to make a IH run with a JD cause the 540 motors?? Think thats right.. What's some of the add on or cheap horsepower for the.. So good about the IH 1066 & 1466 over the other IH.. Not real sure what size to look at in Deere's.. Would be interested in one or the other.. I like MF but heard was really hard and costly to get the v8 to run with them.. What are some other brands that perform good?? Can I find something like this under 20,000

JD vs IH & cost February 10, 2014 05:53PM
I am really open to any brand and is there any on here forsale? I looked didn't see any. Anyone know of any?

Re: JD vs IH & cost February 10, 2014 11:55PM
How much are you wanting to spend? I think there two IHs (I think both 1466) for sale in south central Il.
One of them is a mph tractor and the other is
a hot farm tractor at most places. They were both advertised on here a while back.\
If you were to buy the non mph tractor and you do not have much seat time I would suggest you run
it in a mph class for a wile before turning it loose.

Re: JD vs IH & cost February 11, 2014 01:14AM
I have a 1466 with a 466, 13mm rotary pump, S4 charger, injectors, etc. It has all mods you will need to pull (PTO out, Hitch arms off etc). Can pull in the "Enhanced" classes or something in that range. It will do all you need it to do for now and not get yourself in too much trouble. Let me know if interested and I can send pics and more specs. Trust me, and I am sure every one else can tell you, once you get the bug, you will be spending $$$. Others have the right suggestion, start with an Antique (M,A, G, etc) and go have fun.

Re: JD vs IH & cost February 11, 2014 04:22AM
whichever way you decide to go research the classes in your area and find out what is allowed.remember safety first so your around next year to spend more money which everyone knows you will.Just a FYI make sure you know what you are buying.I know a puller that spent well over 30,000 last year for a supposed new build 466 ih hotfarm made two, less than impressive, hooks and is looking at another 30000 or more to be running this year.All I can say is do your homework and talk to as many pullers as you can.Good luck and happy spending!!!!

Re: JD vs IH & cost February 11, 2014 04:31AM
There are 2 tractors in the for sale area that would be good. The 806 and on page 2 the 1066

What about a john deere February 11, 2014 05:02AM
What sizes would I look for in them? 4440 4640?

Re: What about a john deere February 11, 2014 11:54AM
My thought would be a 4440 or 4430. But I am not a JD guy and don't know much about them. Someone who is more familiar will chime in I hope

Re: Tractor February 11, 2014 12:30PM
Im gonna chime in on deere's if you want to start out and learn the sport and have a tractor that can grow with you,you cant beat the 4020. Parts are plentiful it will accept the bigger 466 and the synchro will handle alittle abuse, but there guys on here that can help with that as you add horse power. As much as i hate to say it the best bang for the buck would be an IH 1066, damn things can be tuned to run. Deere's can too but its takes money.Around here allis D21, IH 1066, JD 4020/4430 and Ford 9000/9600 all hang in farm stock. Hot farm it IH 1066/1466 and Deere's 4320/4430 You said you were looking at staying under 20k that will get you a decent tractor, weights ect. Pick a class and talk to pullers and watch them ,most will help with advice at events. I started as an antique puller on twocylinders, and moved up to a farm stock, and now building a hot farm. Great sport great compition....... Not so great on the wallet!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM