gear on crank Ih February 12, 2014 04:48AM
I was wondering if you have to weld the gear on the crank for turning the cam on a ih 400 series. Or is it a procaution. I Ran a dt466 open rpms and a 600open rpms but never weld that gear. Bought a 640 and it was welded. I know about the ilder gear all my motors have been machined to stop the back out. So whats the point of the weld

Re: gear on crank Ih February 12, 2014 04:57AM
Depending on where it is timed, the key could be ground down to a half key. This is done for strength.

Re: gear on crank Ih February 12, 2014 05:57AM
it is a good ideal to weld it 4 one inch welds around it will work. that gear just has a little pin and is pressed on is all that holds it. when you put a cam in it and start running a pig pump it has been known to slip on a few of them .

Re: gear on crank Ih February 12, 2014 05:55AM
Crank gear on an IH dt466 isn't keyed, just a small dowel pin to line it and a shrink fit between gear and crank. There have been occasions where the crank gear will slip on the crank and throw everything out of time. Roller cams, bigger injection pumps and gear driven fuel supply pumps add to the load this gear must carry. Sometimes you won't have any trouble but the weld is good piece of mind and can save a lot of valuable parts

Re: gear on crank Ih February 12, 2014 06:39AM
Thanks, I'll weld it and be done with it before it starts a chain effect

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,780, Posts: 229,961, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,099, Posts: 226,044.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009