installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 12:08AM
I am getting ready to weld some hubs on my john deere 4230 and was wandering if anyone has ever done this with the final drives on the tractor? or do the final drives need to be taken apart to do this? does heating the axle to 200 or 300 degrees hurt the inner seal if left together as a unit? can a wet towel be wrapped around the end of the housing to keep the inside temp down? any info is very much appreciated!! thanks in advance

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 06:30AM
I have done this before with the finals on the tractor and have had no problem. However, the cool wet towel isn't a bad idea. I'd also suggest welding only parts and then take a break to let it cool some. Furthermore, the shaft is thick and doesn't heat up that fast. Make sure to get them straight and to continue checking them as you weld. I'd recommend a tight fitting hub as well. Maybe have it so tight that you have to heat it up to get it on. Hope this helps some.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 08:55AM
Put your ground on the axel or hub so it wont ground across bearings, grind hard surface off 1/8 '' deep, set up dial indicator or pointer so when you turn axel you can make certain they are straight

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 09:38AM
thank you for the info. I was told the axils need to be heated up to 200 degrees where im going to weld these hubs on. is that necessary you think? as far as getting them straight I was planning on bolting the weld hubs to a m&w clamp on hub and sliding them on as a unit to the correct depth then snugging the u bolt clamps down and tack welding the weld hub in place very tightly. would you think this would get the weld hubs straight enuff?

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 10:23AM
I clamp a piece of square bar on to the face of the new hub that just about touches the floor. I put a soapstone mark on the floor,then divide the hub into four equal spaces numbering them 1-2, 3-4. Work on 1-2 by turning the hub around until they match exactly. Then do 3-4 the same way pivoting on 1-2 tacks. I heat to around 200
deg. I use 110-18 x 1/8 rod. minimum would be 9018.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 03:16PM
G 4 i like the way u do that pretty much fool proof

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 03:56PM
Is there an easier way to fix a leaking axle seal than cutting off the hub? Doesn't leak bad just oozes.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 06:52PM
on a JD you take final drive housing off rear end and take bolt on inter end and pull housing off to inter end you will have to take outer bearing off to replace seal if outer bearing is lose you can get a under size bearing and take axle to someone with crank shaft grinder if you only need to replace seal you do not have to remove axle from wheel

Re: installing weld on hubs February 18, 2014 11:26PM
I was wanting to use a wire welder to weld these on. does anyone know what wire would be the best to use on this application? and what is the reasoning for grinding thru the hard surface an 1/8 inch on the axil? ive never heard of anyone doing this

Re: installing weld on hubs February 19, 2014 12:40AM
Should have clarified, it's on an IH. Thanks

Re: installing weld on hubs February 19, 2014 03:17AM
A veteran puller told me how to do it and I have done about 6 sets that way with no problems . Once you have the hub set on axel just grind around the plate as far out as your fillet will cover . I use 7018 stick . I'm sure there are lots of ways to do it , but this has worked for me .

Re: installing weld on hubs February 19, 2014 04:39AM
I,ve done it with a wire welder, V,d out both sides of hub, slid it on ground threw the hard surface on the axle, spot welded in three places on each side of hub then went back to finish welding all around, then did another pass centering from center bead to hub, then again from center bead to axle, runs straight and no gussets .use,t remember what wire I used though.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 19, 2014 06:11AM
grinding through the hard surface on the axle gets a better, deeper pentrating weld. it can be prone to the weld breaking away from the axle otherwise, even though I've seen guys do it with no problems. also seen plenty of them break.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 19, 2014 12:19PM
doesn't welding to the axil weaken it where the weld bead is? I was always told to never weld anything to the axil or nich it while torching the wedges or a bearing out. has anyone ever seen the axil break off where the weld on hub was welded to the axil?

Re: installing weld on hubs February 28, 2014 02:23AM
I analysed a stub piece of axle with a PMI-MASTER PRO Spark Emission Spectrometer and found it to contain the following elements:
SN - 0.074%
PB - 0.074%
CU - 0.178%
NI - 0.184%
MN - 0.961%
CR - 0.117%
MO - 0.038%
FE - 98.23%

Any welding can be accomplished with E-7018 using a 75 to 85 degree F. preheat. If allowed to air cool slowly, there should be no problem with cracking or breakage as per the Certified Weld Technician working with me at a PA coal fired power boiler.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 28, 2014 11:48PM
very well put Ground.

Re: installing weld on hubs February 28, 2014 02:43AM
Make sure to keep applying a wet towel after your done welding because the heat will travel down the axle tube after your done welding, also work back and forth weld on one side for a bit and then the other side for a bit giving each side time to cool

Re: installing weld on hubs February 28, 2014 12:30PM
When we did it to be sure it was straight we took the axle out of the housing welded it then to the machine shop where he faced the hub to ensure perfectly flat then we reinstalled back in the case

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,736, Posts: 229,871, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,986.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM