tractor bounce February 25, 2014 04:47AM
On the Eastern Extreme web site there is a post about turbo slug size. The Interstate pro farms where using a 2.4 turbo/slug. Some of the tractors had a bouncing issue so they decided to go with a 2.8 turbo/slug. How would this help a bouncing problem? I can see tire type (radial vs. bias) tire brand, pressure etc. being an issue but not .4" of difference in turbo size. Please educate me on this.

Re: tractor bounce February 25, 2014 05:15AM
Horsepower. A lot of bouncing occurs because you don't have the horses to pull the gear you are trying to run. JW

Re: tractor bounce February 25, 2014 06:13AM
The bounce was being caused for alot of different reasons for different tractors.

Depending on the circumstances, we saw a radial bounce more than a bias tire. We saw air pressure affect the tractors from time to time. Too tall of a gear hurts as well in certain circumstances, since the tractors make gobs of torque towards the end of the track...that being said, sled set up and track conditions play a roll in that.

Clutch setups caused problems too...

So, for everyone, it may have been something a little different.

They came together and made a decision to open the charger up a little to see if we could get away from the bounce and I'm curious to see if that makes an improvement overall.

With that all being said....It should be a hell of a show at Keystone though!

Re: tractor bounce February 25, 2014 11:35AM
hey barnstormer, pm me with your new number

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 12:44AM
m8888ja,

I haven't changed my number...it's still the same...email me, cause I don't know how to private message on pulloff!

Clay_31MD@yahoo.com

Thanks!

Re: tractor bounce February 27, 2014 03:16PM
ened again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/27/2014 03:17PM by gonzo 1066.

Re: tractor bounce February 25, 2014 03:43PM
Done that. With more power comes another gear change and you have the classic dog chasing the tail. Used to pull a 640/2.75 3K RPM class with a 18to1 gear. On occasion suffered the dreaded "binder bounce". Voted in 3" charger and guess what, jumped to 17to1 and same thing! Jus' Sayin'!!!

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 01:06AM
I don't think you'll see a big difference with the amount of opening they have changed on the charger...We'll see...not quite as dramatic as going from a 2.75 to a 3 inch outlet.

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 01:22AM
2.4 to 2.8 is .4 bigger. 2.75 to 3 is .25 bigger my math says that .4 is a bigger jump.

Bounce is caused by clutch slippage or tire psi/tire issues and incorrect ballasting, not turbo size.

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 01:50AM
Oopps! You're right! My Hump Day Math isn't too hot!

I do believe you're right with the tire pressure and clutch set playing as well!

Like the Barnstormer and others said, the small charger with open RPM's, fast wheel speed and then tractors lugging and causing the spiral into bouncing is a part of it as well.

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 02:55AM
open rpms? are you guys trying to run slipper clutches? If so the turbo will help some at least.

Re: tractor bounce March 01, 2014 02:34AM
No other classes run radials that have speed . Reed warning on sidewall of radials they have a speed limit . Stock heavy tractors will bounce when accellerating in road gear with nothing hooked to them . Get rid of radials or air them up hard . Rim width affects tire pressure too . Narrow rim will need more pressure than a wider rim . Make sure your rims are true .Wish everyone a safe and fun season ahead .
Good luck

Re: tractor bounce March 04, 2014 02:45PM
What for horsepower wIth 2.4 and how much of increase going to 2.8 , good class.

Re: tractor bounce February 25, 2014 06:32AM
Barnstormer is right...Different reasons for different tractors.

The 2.4 rule is to keep as level of a playing field for tractors in a class that can run up to 540 cubic inches.

We've seen good running tractors in that class that run anywhere from 466 to 540 and all in between.

It keeps tractors from totally running away from the pack.

The tractors in the class make a lot of torque and lug with the smaller charger rule. However, with the decline of good tracks and the way these sleds are set up for speed, the tractors get caught in the middle of a fight. They've got to get down the track as fast as they can before the sled nails them. However, the small charger makes the tractor lug, so by the time they lose speed and the torque curve changes, it has been known to start the bounce...

By opening the charger up a little without getting out of hand with the rules, it may not lug as hard at the end and cause the downward spiral to hopping.

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 02:01AM
I remember an old puller asked me a question once does a flat basketball bounce and the old puller was dave banter

Re: tractor bounce February 26, 2014 04:02PM
Done that. Was running 9 lbs of air in radials when most were running 14 to 15. That helped the bounce a lot. Brent Long told me the same basketball analogy.

Re: tractor bounce February 27, 2014 11:40AM
Sorry, but a flat basketball will bounce when you roll it. So will improperly aired tires. Way more than one possible solution.

Re: tractor bounce February 27, 2014 01:55PM
When it comes to tractor pulling, I think I'd listen to Brent Long before I would a B Ball Player.

Re: tractor bounce February 27, 2014 03:18PM
With low inflation or your so called flat tire, if you do not have enough power to keep the tire wadded up in the front the tire will run over itself. Result? bounce. Watch a fuel dragster, they usually go into tire shake and up in smoke if they don't apply the power just right. Like the man said there's more to it than the BBall statement.

Re: tractor bounce February 27, 2014 03:23PM
I had a severe bounce going with my 666 puller. On a hard hook sometimes it would start to bounce when the engine would start to lug. It has radials and I wound up going from 12psi to 22 and that made a improvement, but it would still bounce on occasion (the bounce was spookey violent). While watching a video I noticed the clutch pedal depress on the downward bounce.. I figured out that the clutch pedal spring was not strong enough, so when a small bounce would start the pedal would disengage the clutch a bit and make the bounce all the worse. I installed a STRONG pedal spring and have had no more issues with the bounce..

Re: tractor bounce February 27, 2014 03:40PM
And if you got enough power it's usually the clutch.

Did you try dropping the pressure back down?

Re: tractor bounce February 28, 2014 02:26AM
I have not had balls enough to try dropping tire pressure. Call it self preservation or just :"geezer fear" I would rather loose by a foot or two than bounce that thing again.

Re: tractor bounce February 28, 2014 10:04AM
can higher tire pressure get rid of bouncing if it lets the tires spin easier

Re: tractor bounce February 28, 2014 10:34AM
for sure

Re: tractor bounce March 03, 2014 01:13PM
Ive seen the dreaded bounce be corrected with moving weights to different locations on the tractor. Had friends hot farm deere bounce like hell, someone suggested we move a few weights around, tried it and curred the bounce..... Just my 2cents

Re: tractor bounce March 03, 2014 01:41PM
we cured the bounce with air preasure on our light supper. The therory was flat ball dosent bounce, we went from 5 psi to 3.4 no bounce hooked better and pulled farther

Re: tractor bounce March 03, 2014 03:16PM
My point exactly

Re: tractor bounce March 03, 2014 03:21PM
[www.youtube.com] Here is an example

Re: tractor bounce March 03, 2014 03:46PM
[www.youtube.com] Here is another tractor at the same pull. Biased tires tried high pressure, low pressure and medium pressure, Tried radials 24.5 and 20.8-38 tires. went from 3 disc to 4 disc conventional clutch tried pedal slipper brand new. tried 3 different injection pumps, tried 2 different transmissions. put its stable mate on the scales and moved weight around to match the other tractor that hardly ever bounces maybe twice all summer. Tried switching drivers also.

Re: tractor bounce March 03, 2014 03:51PM
[www.youtube.com] here is the stable mate at the same pull same brakes, tires wheels, wheel base etc...

Re: tractor bounce March 04, 2014 01:58AM
What air pressure is usually used in a 9000 lb class with 24.5 old puller tires

Re: tractor bounce March 04, 2014 02:34AM
Do both tractors have the same hitch or is one drawbar out farther than the other?

Re: tractor bounce March 04, 2014 07:55AM
Don't go crazy setting your tractors up because of the Harford track. That is a Hp. biting track. Have pulled their for 20+ years. Depending on the sled we could pull 7th in the 9000 day class. With the sled that was there this year we could not. Couldn't even get it out of the hole. Pulled the same sled 2 times at Walnutport in 7th no problem. I know Kuback had bounce problems at Hughesville a few years ago and Forresters said to increase tire pressure. I think he had radial 24.5's then. Can't wait to see you guys at Keystone next week. Good luck to all even though my color is out numbered big time in Pro Farm !!!!

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM