Bead Screws 101 March 01, 2014 03:06AM
I'm considering adding bead screws to my 20.8 BFG radials on 23" steel rims. I know there's been some discussion on this topic in the past, but I've still got some questions.

- What is the best orientation? Through the side of the rim, or radial? I've seen it done both ways.

- Best type of fasteners? Pointed sheet-metal style, or self-tapping? SS or Grade 8? Will a pointed screw grab and pull into the steel chords without pre-drilling?

- How deep into the bead do I need to go? I'm only seeing a small amount of "slippage", so is it possible for me to avoid penetrating the steel chords in the bead at all and just go into the rubber, for a lesser amount of "traction"?

- I once heard of an adhesive type product being used as an alternative to screws. I did a web search and didn't come up with much. Is anyone familiar with this?

Any words of wisdom are appreciated. I have a feeling this wont be a fun project.

Re: Bead Screws 101 March 01, 2014 03:24AM
Give me a call Ian.I will make it easy on you.608-558-2316

Re: Bead Screws 101 March 02, 2014 04:36AM
Thanks again Mark for your advice. Very helpful.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,643, Posts: 229,709, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520