Cav to roosamaster March 18, 2014 03:44PM
Dose anybody know how to make that adapter plate and what dimensions I need to make this work. I want to go from a cav to a roosamaster pump any help is appreciated

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 23, 2014 03:04PM
I would be interested to know as well

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 23, 2014 11:23PM
put the roosamaster head inside the cav pump and it has been done.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 24, 2014 07:49AM
We are running a 354 in a 3000 RPM with a 2.3" turbo.

Talk was that the Roosamaster might work in that class?

If not, what was the thinking on mounting an inline pump on those motors?

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 24, 2014 03:15AM
On what engine?

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 24, 2014 04:01AM
some of the newer masseys used stanadyne pumps that had the same 3 hole pattern as the cav and will obviously accept the roosa master head ... some of the tractors were early 6180,s , 3120,3140, and early 6170,s they all had 3 bolt stanadyne pumps

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 25, 2014 01:48PM
I have a 390 roosamaster on my farm 1130 and a 450 roosamaster on my pulling 1130. Both of them were installed using a three hole stanadyne bottom pump section from the jdb series pumps. Both were bolt on simple with the factory throttle linkages requiring no modifications. I changed the timing by taking the front plate off,u unbolting the timing gear, and spinning the shaft until the timing marks were correct. Whole pump install time was less than an hour. There are two pump shops in central Missouri that can set it up pretty reasonable. Shoe Me Diesel from Columbia and Stan Robinson Ag repair from Sturgeon.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 25, 2014 02:02PM
Correction...the lower housing is a db2 or db4. Both of those shops had everything to put them together. One did my 390 and the other did my 450. I provided the head and rotor on both jobs.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 27, 2014 01:54AM
why do you all seem to prefer the roosamaster pump the cav can pump as much fuel and is alot more reliable. i had a cav on a 1130 that was 370cc as a 2 roller have a 4 roller that has potental for alot more and they wont seize as often better by design. i did put roosa heads on the cav all seized up within 2 runs.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 27, 2014 03:11AM
do you do the work your self or someone else and what do you supply it with?

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 27, 2014 07:14AM
i had the work done outside the supply pump was an electric that was feeding a small hyd pump with psi set at 200 going into head of injection pump. that helps to keep pump charged at high rpm. injectors were 5.20s set at4500 psi with larger injection lines worked great never had issue with that set up.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 27, 2014 03:18AM
I was just concerned with getting enough fuel with where we are running it...

I found a CAV pump for the perkins marine motor already set at factory RPMs of 2920. Would that work?

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 29, 2014 03:47AM
why on earth would you ever want to run 4500 psi nozzles on any rotary pump? To say the CAV is a better design than a Roosa is pretty funny. The CAV is a Roosa design, a copy of the Roosa model A. CAV of England was one of the first big customers for the Roosa design pump, they bought the license to build it themselves. While over here, they continued to improve (with the D, DB, DC, DM, DB-2, DB-4), and update, CAV stayed with the old original design. I'd like to see how someone put a .450 roosa head into a dpa pump. They have totally different drive arrangements. I could see why they'd seize. Also 200 psi fed to it is possibly another reason. The DPA pump has a .750" diameter rotor, which leaves greater thickness in the head passages. The DB pump has a .920" rotor diameter, so the transfer passage in the head has less metal around it, so the greater pressure distorts that passage, and then distorts the rotor bore, causing the seizure. I would think the simplest way, would be build up a DB-2 style with the triangular SAE bolt pattern like a dpa or ve, using the .450 head and rotor, and associated hardware. Then use the dpa gear on the db-2 driveshaft. Maybe a great machine shop could put .450 replacement plungers in a dpa head. I think I'd try and use a roosa cam ring as well.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 29, 2014 08:09AM
I agree injumped .. first of all 4500psi injectors would sieze up any hot rotary pump . that is high end pressure for even a p-pump. another thing is 200psi fuel supply?? what kind of lift pump are you using?? 15 psi would be sufficient for any rotary pump.. and 370cc of fuel from a cav?? id like to know what pump shop makes that pump.. hottest cav ive ever even heard of were like 280cc.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 29, 2014 10:20AM
I've done 3 Roosamasters to put on 354 perkins in place of the CAV. On one I found a driveshaft that fit the .450 rotor, another I had to machine the wider drive tang down to fit the .450 rotor, and the 3rd one I used a 4 roller DM head so it was pretty much a bolt together deal. The one with the DM head needed timing advance, and needed to be counterclockwise, so I had to carefully figure out and drill the supply passage in the housing to pressurize the advance piston. Nowadays, I'd use the roosamaster as a wheel chock and put a VE on.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 29, 2014 10:34AM
SFD823 are you still doing pump work? I have a 354 we are using and would love to talk

Corey
johnsonfarms05@gmail.com
708-574-5449

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 30, 2014 12:57AM
Well come on down the one sitting on the motor out here in the shed is a cav and it has a roosa 450 head in the thing, I guess someone down the line before me had a fair amount of machining ability and made it happen.

Re: Cav to roosamaster March 30, 2014 02:42AM
i used 4500 injector psi to atomiz the fuel better so it would burn better the cav doesnt seize because it has a balanced rotor i mean by that is it has another hole drilled in rotor on opposite side of exist passage to injector it keeps the rotor lubed and centered not forced over into head. 200 feed psi was used to keep fuel into pump at higher rpms all rotors drop off on cc the higher the rpm this reduces that alot. the charge pump was an oliver pump belt driven pump used on 18-1955s. took charge pump out of injection pump we did use a roosa master high lift cam. when we put the 450 head on the cav we made a tang shaft to fit the roosa head. tractor pulling is always a game of thinking outside the box and when rules state stock appearing you will try anything and if u dont want to be like everybody else you do alot of trial an error. by the way the 4 roller cav will pump 550ccs at idil but falls way off at higher rpms coulndnt find any one to make charge holes in rotor bigger i think that is thi help it needed.but tractor is now gone .

Re: Cav to roosamaster April 05, 2014 02:34PM
Sorry this took so long to respond to everybody's advice. This pump change is going on a 354 perkines and the class I will be joining rules only allow 360 cubes and rotory pump . So I would love to be competitive and this setup is in a cockshutt tractor. Thank you for all of your help

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,763, Posts: 229,925, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,021.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM