IH king pin location for hitch March 17, 2009 07:19AM
I have a bet with a friend about king pin locations on a 66 series international.

He thinks that moving the hitch point (king pin) farther forward would be better and transfer weight of the pull more to the front allowing fewer weights to be put up front.

I told him first it would be way to much work to even mess with and there would not be any benefit, being first the king pin is mounted to the transmission casting either way you look at it and secondly the tractor does not have a suspension to compress anyway.

I have a case of beer riding on this so any help would be appreciated, anybody even try this??? Any reasons I can give to win the bet, I am very thristy.

Re: IH king pin location for hitch March 18, 2009 05:02AM
Its called leverage, lets just think about it for a second, have u ever been on a teeter totter? If the point that u are mounting the drawbar is lower and further forward then their will be an advantage to doing this! Get a couple of 2 by 4s and mock up a simple dummy setup of what the different locations u think will work. Do this on the floor like a teeter totter and see how much weight u can put on the fake drawbar to raise the front end!

Re: IH king pin location for hitch March 19, 2009 02:15AM
If your draw bar is supported at the pto housing, it don't matter where you attach the front end,support point is where weight bears down on , plus min. distance of draw bar is 18" Now if you allowed the draw bar to pivot from the front mount thus aligning the bar from pivot point to the sled you will indeed put more pull on the front of the tractor but again you lose your 20" hitch height advantage-kind of like adding a longer chain to the sled! apologize for my ramblings. have a good day!

Re: IH king pin location for hitch March 19, 2009 02:23AM
Makes sense, Thank you guys. We are trying to build a strong hot farm so I am sure I will have many more questions.

Re: to Mr Obvious March 20, 2009 06:48AM
Sorry, but you obviously never took a statics class. Winking

The drawbar is fixed in relation to the tractor frame & thus how it's mounted, or what angle it runs at makes absolutely no difference to the performance of the tractor. It will change the load (force) in the mounting hardware, but the effect on the tractor will net out the same.

To reuse your teeter totter example, the pivot point is the rear axle & you are the chain hook standing on the hitch. The balancing load (person on the other end of the teeter totter) is the center of mass (CG) of the tractor and the front wheels (other end of the teeter totter) are on the ground as long as the tractor weight x moment arm (distance forward from center of axle to CG) is greater than the chain load x it's moment arm from the rear axle. As the tractor heads down the track the chain load increases until it balances the tractor CG at which point the front wheels are still on the ground, but not carrying any weight. As the chain load increases more, the front wheels come off the ground, but at the same time the hitch lowers which shortens the moment arm for the chain load (you move forward on the teeter totter) until balance is restored.

I also hear a bunch of stuff about running your hitch angle uphill, downhill, or maybe even sideways Smiling The only way that makes any difference is if whoever measures your hitch allows extra height by how they measure. For example, if your hitch runs down toward the sled & they only measure at the rear lip of your hitch, you really have a little extra height becasue the hook hangs over the edge of the hole & the rear lip. Or if they measure the rear point of the hole & your hitch runs uphill, you again have a little extra height when the hook hangs on it. If they measure the highest point from the middle of the hole back (as they should) you want to be as close to level as possible.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009