Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 01:09AM
My family and I pull an Oliver 880, I am wanting to switch the ignition from points and condenser to electronic ignition.

My questions of all of you Oliver folks are:
1)Should I us the same distributor and just use the new electronic ignition.
2)Should I replace the whole distributor and go with the all aluminum distributor.
3)And this is the MOST important. What ignition system/company do I go with.

My daughter is 4 now, she is very much into pulling. She has 8 years before she can pull in our association, however, I want to have the best running stock tractor for her as possible, by that time. I am slowly building this tractor up for her (getting all aluminum rims in a year or two), trying to make it a consistent winner. This tractor does good now with the old style ignition but I want to up grade it first. I do not plan on doing any engine work at all, in our stock class with no cut tires, this tractor is top three every time.

Thank You for your help
Oldfield Family Pulling

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 01:20AM
If your tractor is basicly stock,just put the Pertronix module in your stock distributor.Just a friendly piece of advice,if you go with the Pertronix module do not buy it from Denny's carb shop in Fletcher ,Ohio.There are better places to get it and probably cheaper and easier to work with if you have a problem.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 01:29AM
Thank you for your input, that is some of the reason why I am asking. Called there and he wanted me to put all of this stuff on it and I don't think or know that I need it. We are a young family and money isn't falling out of my pockets like he is wanting.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 02:07AM
Don't waste your money on that pertronix junk. Put you a new set of points in you distributor & hunt around on Craigslist for a 6a msd box.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 02:18AM
I have a 12volt system and I think I want the electronic system for the reliability starting and running correctly every time. Thank you though Cody.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 04:20AM
How is a pertronix reliable? I've thrown about 10 burnt up one in the garbage. I've yet to find a set of point I couldn't file & make work again. On an MSD setup, the points carry a very low voltage & will last forever. If you have a wore out distributor, pertronix won't fix that.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 02, 2014 02:29AM
I'd listen to cody on this one. I had alot of trouble with the pertronix and went back to points.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 02:36AM
Go with the pertronix system and stay with the original distributor. That way your engine will still be in time and it won't effect your power what so ever. We have three stroker motors and we we have no issues with the original distributors and the pertronix.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 02:59AM
Thank you very much Orrin, I never thought about having to retime it if I changed distributors. Thank you.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 04:07AM
Put a pertronix or other electronic unit in and add a msd box, if you are allowed to. The msd gives multiple sparks at low rpm, and you can richen the carb and get more power. Most of the NATPA pullers run this set up.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 04:18AM
Hadn't really thought about the MSD box, thank you.

Does anyone know if I have to run the flame-thrower or the igniter 1,2 or 3? Just looking at Pertronix website. This has turned into a lot harder deal than I thought it would be. Thank you all.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 07:18AM
It's better to a hotter coil with it. Bigger spark and you can run a larger gap on the plugs, for better flame travel.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 07:19AM
Id just run the pertronix and see how the tractors runs with it and if you like how it performs then put a msd box if your gunna do that put a 2 step in. But before you dump all the money for the mad and pertronix just do the pertronix and see how it works.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 07:43AM
I think for cost I will just do the Pertronix Ignitor 3 and stay with stock coil, then get the MSD coil later. Thank you both.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 02:53PM
Read the directions well the coil has to have the correct ohms or it will burn up the petronix module. ( When used without a msd box)
When you use a msd box the msd plugs into the coil so the ohm reading on the coil doesn't cause trouble but be sure the coil is listed on the msd coil compatability chart. If in you are not sure of connections call the tech line

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 02, 2014 02:19AM
While you're working on the distributor, don't forget the basics. Check for excessive side and endplay on the shaft, and that the advance mechanism is not worn out and is functioning properly. Correcting these issues, if they are present, will make a whole lot more difference with respect to achieving and maintaining proper tuning than which coil or trigger mechanism is used. A worn out distributor with new points or igniter is still a worn out distributor.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 02, 2014 02:57AM
Redrelic and Don't forget, Thank you both for the very useful information. All that you have said are things that I have not and would not have thought about. I will have to have a buddy check the distributor and I will have to call the tech line to get a coil and ignition at the same time that match each other. Thank you both so very much.

Re: Oliver 880 pulling questions April 01, 2014 10:41AM
I ran pertronix electronic ignition in my wd 45 i bought three years ago and its the same one still you must put electical grease in the distribitor had a guy burn them out in a m when he did that he had no more issues and you must use the flame thower coil make sure your system 12 volts

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,704, Posts: 229,806, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,081, Posts: 225,953.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro