CASE 504 SLEEVES April 02, 2014 04:51AM
I have a case 2294 that has water in the oil. Pulled the rear 2 sleeves out of block due to #6 leaking. It appears to have stop leak at the bottom of every sleeve. The top o-ring doesn't seem to seat in the smooth part of the block all the way. Also the block has a little pitting where the O-rings ride. What have others done to fix this issue? Is it possible to drop the o-ring grooves on new sleeves down 1/4"? There is a 1/2" gap from lower groove to bottom of block surface. Thanks

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 02, 2014 11:38AM
Not sure if it helps your situation but I have 6 brandnew 504 sleeves still in the box Keith 402/750-8652

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 02, 2014 01:30PM
I had the same problem on a 2594, but it was pitted pretty bad. Machine shop put new lower counterbores in. Not sure what a short block costs, but I do not like reman engines. My 2 cents.

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 02, 2014 02:15PM
Definitely needs the counterbores checked. The back 2 are normally the worst. I have re-sleeved many 504's in the 2290's with the small journal crankshaft. Very common to have the counterbore cracked and need to have them re-sleeved for the new sleeve. Make sure your machine shop is very experienced in doing this before allowing it to be done.

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 02, 2014 02:46PM
We had water in the oil put new sleeves in with three orings compared to the old ones that only had two sealed up good

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 03, 2014 05:45AM
Thanks, I'll look at the counterbores on the back two. Are the cracks easily seen or are they too small to see? I called the guys at power bore sleeves who were great to deal with and very helpful but said they are out 14 weeks. This is a timely fix but we also don't want a reman. Spring might come....... someday

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 03, 2014 09:26AM
Mine were all easily seen but I still would have a machine shop check it over closely. Normally mine have been in back left hand side.

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 03, 2014 09:54AM
i have seen this on 504s 451s & 401s, common problem. case actually has a part # for a repair counterbore sleeve i believe. one particular engine that was not pitted real bad i actually filled the holes in with JB Weld then after it setup i honed it till it was all smoothed out. it never leaked yet.

Re: CASE 504 SLEEVES April 04, 2014 01:26AM
As a machine shop owner one of the biggest problems with a case block is not the lower counterbores, it is the upper sleeve flange counterbores. You must measure the depth of the upper counterbores in four places with a depth micrometer. You will usually find that one side is low allowing the sleeve to tilt once the head(s) are torqued. That usually eventually causes lower counterbore and O ring problems due to uneven pressure. It also causes head gasket failure and sleeve cracking.. When you drop a new sleeve in the block the sleeve protusion will appear to be fine. But then bolt the sleeve down with bolts and washers to seat the sleeve in the counterbore and the measure sleeve protusion in four places and that will also show you that the upper counter bores require attention. It is a fairly easy fix with a good boring bar to recut the bottoms of the upper sleeve counterbores to make them concentric with the deck surface. CIH sells the shims to shim the sleeve back to the correct height.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,736, Posts: 229,871, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,986.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM