Fuel??? May 06, 2014 11:58AM
I have a built NA diesel pulling in a Wild West open class.... My question is what's a good combo for diesel fuel... Additives...weird off the wall stuff that mixes and works good... Remember no rules... Just power.... And what's a good upper cyl lube to keep things alright once u start mixing stuff w diesel.... Thanks in advance

Re: Fuel??? May 06, 2014 12:51PM
B100 no additives

Re: Fuel??? May 06, 2014 01:53PM
B100 has less BTU's and can be too problematic to be mainstream.

Re: Fuel??? May 06, 2014 04:15PM
straight soybean oil has more btus than road fuel and straight corn oil has more than soy oil but most local FS fuel dealers will sell you soy oil

Re: Fuel??? May 09, 2014 01:06AM
Power mist works great but hard on parts and don't get close to plastic. If you can inject alcohol or hydrogen peroxide would be good for power if you can inject it in the air. Nitro fuel is really good but cable the head on it won't make but a few passes. Power mist is the only one I would put in the fuel the rest would be added in the intake preferably the air cleaner housing so it mixes well.

Re: Fuel??? May 06, 2014 02:47PM
What's b100?

Re: Fuel??? May 06, 2014 02:59PM
Biodiesel is b 100 if you don't have rules power mist might help.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2014 03:02PM by redih.

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:02AM
corn or soy oil will sometimes cause wetstacking

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:08AM
One pull I was speaking to last summer told me he made 2 changes while at the dyno. A different turbo, witch gave him 50 more hp. and straight soy oil witch added another 40 hp

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:01AM
B-whatever number is an acronym for whatever blend of biodiesel you have. B100 is all biodiesel while B80 is 80% biodiesel and 20% petro diesel.

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:02AM
No way does B100 have more BTU's than road fuel. Soy tends to burn more complete, so the BTU output can be better than diesel if everything is right for combustion. Soy will gum up your pump, and soften your fuel lines, and eat the paint off anything it comes in contact with. Thats why guys that use it cover their tractor with a blanket when they start it. If you try it, you have to remove it and flush out your entire fuel system with diesel after every pull. Tried it on the dyno---not worth the grief!

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:16AM
You are absolutely correct in that on average petro diesel is around 128,000btu/gallon while biodiesel is around 119,000 btu/gallon. These numbers are not exact as both petro and bio diesels are blends of various components and not pure substances. This of course is assuming that the BD is made from a blended oil source or from waste fryer oil. The rule of thumb is that biodiesel has around 10% less energy than petrodiesel and therefore you need to burn it more efficiently to get the same amount of HP and torque. Anyone is welcome to stop by and see the hood of my JD that is missing a lot of paint because of B100.

Re: Fuel??? May 11, 2014 01:09AM
On the bio fuel. My father is a fleet manger for Navistar. Ohio Dot bought a bunch of truck but then let them sit for about six months during the summer because funding was cut to complete the trucks. That were fueled with bio fuel per the bid requirements. When they finally got funding for the trucks and went to take them to the the prison for the body to be put on the first three made it about ten miles and all died. They took new fuel pumps and injectors and a fuel system flush to get running again. The bio fuel has a microorganisms that live in it and die and they turn into a sand like material when they die. If you have bio fuel in a tank that doesn't have a high flow rate or doesn't have a filter on it needs to be flush every six months or so. Or if you have something that sits for a while with bio fuel run it low on fuel then run some regular fuel in it. ODOT has had a lot of problems with it especially in cold weather.

Re: Fuel??? May 14, 2014 10:48AM
you guys are getting different kinds of bio fuel mixed up.
There is straight oils and there is a bio diesel.
Straight oils are to thick for most fuel systems at normal temperatures. So it either takes a good pump that can take some stress or a pre heater for the fuel to make it thinner. These oils will give you more power than regular Diesel and are not that much of a problem, given you're not using them in a cold environment and warm up the engine on regular diesel.

Then there is, what in my neck of the woods is called, Biodiesel with Methyl-ester. This contains ALCOHOL, which is the reason for certain damage on fuel systems. A) Your fuel system needs to have alcohol proof seals, fittings etc as plastic and rubber as well as a lot of metals are hurt and eaten up by the alcohol.
Your fuel system needs to be CLEAN as the alcohol will loosen anything that's in your fuel lines etc. and then plug injectors etc.
This "Biodiesel" will also make less power.

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:10AM
b100 is a pure pain in the butt. Just as noway said it is hard on parts and paint. Be great to support the soybean industry but this isn't the answer.

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 06:38AM
Ok so bio doesn't sound like the answer I have heard mixing kerosene w diesel and what about just adding methanol to diesel and if so how much is safe

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 07:36AM
Kerosene will burn, but it has slightly less BTU's than petro diesel. It has no lubricating ability and will be tough on your pump in large amounts. If I was going to add methanol I would mix it with my water injection.

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:26PM
Does methanol mix w diesel good enough to put it in the tank in managable quantities remember this is a NA motor so no water injection... Or would that be a good way to do it

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 01:34PM
Propane will do it.

Ditch the grease burner and buy some nitro. Smoke without a turbo is a total waste of effort.

Re: Fuel??? May 07, 2014 10:46PM
What about the purple diesel that's being sold? Is it any better than the red diesel/off road?

Re: Fuel??? May 08, 2014 01:47AM
I have heard B100 made from sunflower or canola oil makes more BTUs then bean oil because of the higher centane level. Anybody have any experience with this? We have been raising some sunflowers and canola to press into oil and making fuel. Been running homemade b20 in our farm tractors and pickups without issues but not sure where it stands on a performance basis. All i know is b100 freaks out my superduty. It throws codes and doesn't like it. On b20 I haven't had any issues. The tractors seem to make a bit more power with the b20 then straight pump fuel, unless its wishful thinking and I'm imagining it. I don't have any hard data to back this up. Just been a money saver at this point.

Re: Fuel??? May 08, 2014 04:56AM
Cetane numbers are an indication of how easily the fuel will burn. Higher cetane level fuel will ignite and burn easier than lower cetane level fuel. This has nothing to do with how much energy is in the fuel. There are obvious advantages to higher cetane levels, you will just need to tune your tractors accordingly.
Trucks newer than 2007 (give or take a year depending on brand) don't like b100 due to the polution control on them.

Re: Fuel??? May 08, 2014 11:41AM
I made 5-6 passes with B-100 and was NOT impressed one bit. Power felt down quite a bit, less snap and hang power. Worst of all I got a algae contamination and it was tough to clean it out of the system.

Re: Fuel??? May 09, 2014 12:51AM
I asked my fuel dealer and was told the old high sulfer fuel was higher in energy (BTU value) but the newer fuel is much lower than that and that the Bio fuel actually adds energy to the new fuel.

Re: Fuel??? May 09, 2014 01:57AM
BD does not add energy in that it has less BTU's. All biodiesel is higher cetane than petro diesel which means it ignites and CAN burn more effeciently than petro diesel, but your tractor needs to be tuned for it. Biodiesel is basically a methyl ester which is a great solvent. This means any slime that is in a fuel tank gets cleaned and moved to the fuel filter. NA engines will not do well on biodiesel and you will feel the 10% decrease in BTU.

Re: Fuel??? May 10, 2014 07:53AM
What about a sufler additive then?

Re: Fuel??? May 10, 2014 03:28PM
We use fppf +8 cetane booster.

Re: Fuel??? May 12, 2014 01:51PM
Who carries that/ where can u get it?

Re: Fuel??? May 13, 2014 04:48AM
Fppf at John Deere dealer, Napa or a Diesel shop. We use their additives in all our diesel trucks and farm motors. Good lube for pumps.

Re: Fuel??? May 12, 2014 02:14PM
We have been running bio diesel for more than 5 years on the farm. We do have to change filters more often, but that just means about twice a year. We do use a treatment from the local supplier to control or (shock) the fuel. I havent seen any trouble with paint or destroying the lines pumps or hoses. Maybe its that we dont use as much as others or somthing I am not aware of. As of today we have only used 2400 gallons of fuel this spring I know other farmers have bigger operations and do use much more fuel. I did ask the fuel man the other day and he told me that the low sulfer fuel caused lots of pump trouble but he thought the soy oil part actually helped that dry fuel trouble

Re: Fuel??? May 13, 2014 02:13AM
B 100 can get a bad name from the animal fat that is used to make biodiesel,some 100% animal fat,it sets up solid at 50 Degrees F,not good for the cold Midwest.

Re: Fuel??? May 13, 2014 02:55AM
It sounds like you are using a purchased biodiesel blend? This is most likely B20, in which case you will not see the solvent effects of B100 as your fuel is only 20% BD. If your blend is B20 I don't see the need to use the "shock" or snake oil additive with it. I am also not a huge user of fuel but have used over 15,000 gallons of B100 and have noticed that higher performance engines can magnify any problems.

Re: Fuel??? May 13, 2014 05:58AM
AMSOIL offers a Diesel Concentrate (http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3186.pdf) which is a diesel fuel lubricant, fuel system cleaner and stabilizer. They also offer a Cetane Boost Additive (http://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g3188.pdf) that can provide up to a 7-point increase in ULSD and is compatible with bio-diesel. We use both of these products in our semis and farm equipment. We have seen mileage increases of 1-2 MPG in our diesel pickups using the Diesel Concentrate and a noticeable increase in our pulling hauler semi according to its mileage monitor using both AMSOIL products.

If you are interested in trying either or both of these products feel free to contact me at tadomann@yahoo.com or 913-433-4826. I can have them shipped directly to your door.

Contact me with any questions.

Thanks, Todd Domann

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,756, Posts: 229,913, Members: 3,335.
This forum: Topics: 37,092, Posts: 226,013.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM