Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 12:53AM
All these clubs from super farm on down have long drawn out turbo rules, why can't they run whatever turbo they want and just put slug in front of them. Seems that would be a lot simpler to check by any rules committee ( some committee members don't know what there looking at anyway) just wondering

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 01:15AM
I agree with you, been wondering the same thing for years. It must be the mentality of ; its not a goog idea unless its my idea ! The best rules to inforce are the easy to understand ones , seems like lawers lingo sometimes and nobody understands that stuff unless you are one.......... yea I can take it boys ,bash away and good day

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 02:01AM
Great idea, Unfortunatly with so many creative genius's out there someone will always look for that edge that is just a bit better no matter what the cost. This has been the way with all automotive sports from way back. Seems quite a few classes could have one dedicated turbo manufacturer that would build ONE class legal spec turbo. ALL the competitors would use only that turbo, no exceptions. This approach would be a boost for the sport as a cost saving measure wouldnt it??

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 04:14AM
I heard about one club that used one turbo supplier and used the exact same turbo. The best part was that if anyone wanted to buy your charger, they would pay you what a new one cost and you had to sell it. You're out no money and everyone is on the same playing field.

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 04:07PM
Im with you Jim. Put a slug size on it and be done with it. Trying to police slots aka. map rings will be a never ending battle.What good are the inducer rules if all the air doesnt come through it? I dont like the "BOX" turbo rule either. Its like a democrat solution. Hey, he runs better and thats not fair. Lets make it fair for everybody.Well guess what,he probably has a better pump than you too,and maybe a better head. Just my .02 cents

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 04:46PM
I don't see it as "being fair for everyone" but as making it easier for everyone to have a legal charger. Seems to me it limits grey areas of the rules. Agree to disagree. I would like someone who has run this rule and see how they liked/disliked it. In the pulls I run, there's always complaints about the turbos.

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 18, 2014 07:06PM
We're doing it in Germany for the last couple of years.
Took quite a bit of experimenting and in the end we got more power than we wanted, but by now we're at the point where the competitors are now talking about "1 to 2% more power" by different shapes of the restriction "devices".
As much as most hated this rule, by now most are glad we have it and even some from "neighbor circuits" who don't have it are starting to wonder whether we did something right, as their costs are running out of hand and many start to find themselves in the position, where they cannot afford to play anymore. That's the name of the game, but if the purpose of the class is to either get new guys in or have an affordable class for Joe Ordinary - you'll find yourself at the green table introducing a new "low budget class" every 5 to 8 years.

As our association president keeps saying, the most popular phrases at rule meetings:
"I can't do it no more, fuel got to expensive"
"Spending 100% on an extra safety part is going to make it absolutely impossible for me to keep going"
and
"Help - we need to introduce a new class. I can't win anymore".

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 19, 2014 03:11AM
i think it should be a certain size hole for said class and run whatever works. if somebody makes a turbo that pushes as much as a 4.9 and does it thru a 2" hole but it costs $100000 you think they wouldnt sell few of them. you can never compete against people with money.

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 19, 2014 09:29AM
see the attached .pdf file - this is what we came up with after 5 years now. Combined with intercooler it lets you run a small HX 60 or an HX55 sustainable.
Combined with 3000 rpm limit you have a fun class and no huge expenses. Sigma pumpshave been tried and were not much of a benefit. Got guys with 14mm A-Pumps winning...
ould strongly recommend intercoolers and do away with water. Easy to tech and and much better on the engines. They are running stock 358 engines with this:
This is how it looks on track (Pull Off at last years finals):

Floating Finish - the German Tractor Pulling Web Show and EU Live Streams: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 09:35AM by Sascha.
Attachments:
open | download - Notizzettel.pdf (60.6 KB)

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 19, 2014 09:49AM
.. and just something about physics: There is nothing as "sucking" through a hole. There is only "create vacuum behind a hole" and then it's atmospheric pressure PUSHIING through that hole. And that's pretty much the same for everybody.
But you gotta define what's going on in front and behind of the hole, or you open a can of worms, you won't believe. We did.. wasn't funny. We still have that 2.33 hole and "free to do in front and behind as you please" in the 99 hot farm and they are at 3 inch and bigger chargers at 2700 rpm and 550 cui / 510 at 3200 rpm.

The first two guys were first time out and testing. They belong a class lower.

Edited 6 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2014 10:00AM by Sascha.

Re: Why so many turbo rules May 19, 2014 01:16PM
We have a very limited Farm Stock class introduced new last year that was written with a 3LM-466 or T04 box charger only rule. Every tractor that ran save one (over 15) had 3LMs, the other a TO4. It also included a claimer rule ($450, I think it is). NO ONE was talking about turbos last year or all this winter. So far, so good.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,641, Posts: 229,707, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,903.

Our newest member JD_8520