Hollowing axles June 17, 2014 12:51PM
I'm looking at drilling my own ih axles. Any advice or tips on the best way to do it without weakening them? Thanka

Re: Hollowing axles June 17, 2014 06:19PM
Me and Sven, we find us a LONG drill bit, and den ve veld it tew a piece of 1/2" tick by aboot 4 inches vide steel. Get sum aboot 6 feet long. Veld da drill bit inna middle of da steel. Try and line da drill up vid da axle nice and straight. Yack up one side of da tractor, den start her up, and put her in turd or fourt gear, aboot half throttle, get a friend to hold one side and yew hold da udder, and feeder in nice and slow. If ya gots someone else ta help, dey can squirt sum oil onna bit as she gets hot.

Re: Hollowing axles June 18, 2014 05:30AM
you and sven are pretty good for some comic relief, but not too helpful in the information department

Re: Hollowing axles June 18, 2014 06:09AM
A big barrel boring (gun boring) machine would be the trick to do that.

Edit: I found a website that shows some working [www.unisig.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2014 06:09AM by FordPuller9000.

Re: Hollowing axles June 18, 2014 05:57AM
usually hollow axles are made new. this is discussed @ ytmag.com under tractor pulling

Re: Hollowing axles June 18, 2014 07:30AM
Please for your safety and the safety of the sport do not drill stock axles they have, will, and do break, Call Engler Or Atlas or any company the makes hollow tube axle. They are made that way and heat treated . They are not drilled stock axles.

Re: Hollowing axles June 18, 2014 11:03AM
Why on earth would you hollow out an important part like this ?

Re: Hollowing axles June 19, 2014 01:50AM
Please before you make statements that have no value do some research on the subject you are talking about. The reality is that a gun drilled axle shaft when constructed properly is stronger than a solid axle shaft. This is due to the fact that you can through harden a hollow axle (which you can't a solid) and that the stress flow in the outer portion of the axle is much more consistant when the material is removed from the center of the shaft. So the increased strength of a gun drilled axle as well as reduced weight is "Why on earth" you would do this to an important part like this. Your friend the structural engineer...

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,736, Posts: 229,871, Members: 3,333.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,986.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM