John deere 4320-hydraulics June 29, 2014 11:43AM
Fella's just picked up a deere 4320, two questions and they might be related. Hydraulic fluid is leaking from the bell housing, coming out the timing inspection cover and really coming out of the cover right behind the oil pan underneath. Also steering and brakes are wicked intermittent. One minute there fine the next the wheel is hard to turn and the pedals push to the floor. It looks as if the main pump has been " played" with at some point. One another thing, it wont stay in 2nd,5th, and the reverse thats in the same pattern on the column. It shifts into position then acts like the two gears arent quite lined up, let the clutch out and they just grind, i did notice when letting the clutch out the shift lever, moves up a bit almost like its trying to line up. Hope these symptons make sense. Won't be able to get this one in the shop right away,but any help would be appreciated.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics June 29, 2014 02:25PM
On the brakes, it could be anything. They can be a complete headache. I currently have a 4020 with similar problems. I've narrowed it down and believe it needs new brake pads and pistons. I have to remove the axle housings to do this and haven't had enough time to tackle it yet. Pull your hydraulic filter and cut it open. See if there is any bronze shavings in your filter. Also check your transmission sump screen just behind your filter. This, besides bleeding your brakes, is the easiest first steps to try. Lots of shavings = new pads. If it's none of those things, you could have a trans pump going out, hydraulic pump failure, blown out o-ring, internal leak, priority valve in bad shape, etc. It can be a nightmare. Good luck.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 07, 2014 02:50AM
According to the JD tech manual the gear im refering to is on the bottom shaft in the middle when looking into the transmission, 2,5,rev. speed gear. One whole side of the gear the teeth are shallower .

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics June 29, 2014 02:42PM
Yor clutch housing leaks could be one of two things, oil pan gaskets tend to leak after several thousand hours of service , the other is pto piston engage O ring.
Brake steering sounds like transmission pump ,pickup tube O rings, or the pump itself . The pump only pumps when the clutch is engaged ,if you have the clutch disengaged for a few seconds and this happens re engage and see if the steering starts to work again

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 07, 2014 02:40AM
With a few spare moments we had, I adjusted the linkages and still no 2,5 or reverse. Took the cover off, and I believe the speed gear for those three wich is on the bottom shaft was a abnormal wear groove, looks almost like to different size gears or onside has been ground down. but its clean looking like it was made that way. Is this my culprit for the lack of 2,5,and rev.? Also with tractor running and clutch pedal down (engaged) no steering, release pedal and within a few seconds steering returns. Time for an overhual to trans pump? Or should I be trouble shooting other area's first?

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 07, 2014 05:18AM
That's normal. When you press the clutch in, it stops flow from the trans pump to the main front pump. There is a bypass kit you can purchase to help with this problem. I think you can get it from Deere.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 07, 2014 08:21AM
Any insight on the 2nd/5th gear.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 07, 2014 10:20AM
You can try removing end play from shifter cam (bot. one) adg. linkage, but you prob. need new 2,5,gear and new collar (major job) look down in trans while applying pressure by hand and see why its not engaging

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 10, 2014 12:05PM
Adj. linkages, checked end play. How much pressure is the shaft lubed by? Can i leave covet off and start tractor to see whats going on? The speed gear on bottom shaft has a odd wear groove in it almost like half the gears was used. I assuming this is the culprit. Or a bent fork, hard to tell with oil still in it.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics August 10, 2014 03:31PM
I would drain oil , put tractor in gear , turn flywheel with screwdriver through timing hole and see if collar pops away from gear . teeth on id of collar get worn and you cannot see till teardown . oil pres. to shaft is is not much I believe.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics June 02, 2015 02:01AM
I have a 4320 and the hydraulics 3 pt hitch when raising up and down the engine sounds like it is straining in thing to look for

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics June 06, 2015 02:55PM
Usually when the transmission won't stay in 2nd 5th and reverse, the top shaft synchronizers are bad, unless it's a linkage problem but it sounds like you checked that. The lube pressure on the shafts is transmission pump psi which I believe is 200 lbs or so , you can run the tractor with the top cover off I know that for sure. Start the tractor and while you release the clutch in gear watch the top shaft shifting clutches to see if they move forward or backward when it grinds or pops out of gear.

Re: John deere 4320-hydraulics June 07, 2015 03:19AM
I will check that out as soon as the machine starts! Been in storage all winter, threw the battery in it and nothing! Now im chasing things with the test light, fun.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009