Power curve vs. MPH and distance down track August 06, 2014 02:03AM
Working out some gearing issues on a few very different pullers. (Tractor, semi, diesel pickup) All around 1000hp but peaking at different RPM with little wheel slip.

Whats the general relation of the power curve and the distance down the track?

Say I want 30MPH, should that be above peak HP RPM? How far?

How do I even determine my target peak track MPH?

I sincerely appreciate the insight.

Re: Power curve vs. MPH and distance down track August 06, 2014 11:07AM
Anyone?

Re: Power curve vs. MPH and distance down track August 06, 2014 12:59PM
you will have to have a bench mark,(new puller?),need to pull a sled,see how the power keeps up to speed.The speed dictates the rpms,you said little slip,there has to be a lot of slip for the engine to stay alive,some spin over 100 mph and go about 30.If you are looking for a formula,good luck,all those vehicles have different ways to get power to the ground,short,tall,wide tires,heavier,ect.Something most do not realize till they pull for a long time is that the sled keeps a rein on you and as you travel farther faster the power need increases,sounds fundamental,but with the drop pan sleds now the whole theory has changed from yrs ago.Everyone knows that speed pulls farther,speed needs power,power needs rpms,rpms mean more wheel speed,which bites more,not only for speed and mph,but to keep the engine alive,spinning will keep components from breaking.Speed and power requirements are inversely proportionate. And throw in torque for a whole new discussion.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,724, Posts: 229,854, Members: 3,330.
This forum: Topics: 37,084, Posts: 225,979.

Our newest member LT Limited Pro