ESP show in Freedom NY August 31, 2014 08:51AM
Was that really the show in Freedom. Everman wins by 90 feet in Lie Super and 2 mods show up. Whats going on with ESP?

Re: ESP show in Freedom NY August 31, 2014 01:59PM
Today in Alexander wasn't much better. They got through two classes and the sled broke down. Again. Guess they finished it some time after 7, after starting 45 minutes late.

Re: ESP show in Freedom NY September 01, 2014 01:55AM
It was Freedoms first ever tractor pull. Im sure the reason for only 3 classes was to see if anyone would come!! why would you book 5 classes for a first ever pull and have no spectators? As to 2 mods showing up...its the end of the year. peoples tractors are broke, and people themselves are broke from pulling all year long. I know one guy showed up to pull in the mod class with a 3 engine tractor that has a hole in one of the engines. maybe next year you could have a tractor (whichever one you chose to build) to help keep the numbers up!!! And for alexander.. that was the 3rd or 4th pull alexander has put on this year!! I dont see to many other towns, fairs or firemans putting on that many in one year. As for the sled jimmy has been to 90% or more of the hooks and this is his 2nd break down of the year at the end of the year!!! We cant cut the guy any slack???

Re: ESP show in Freedom NY September 01, 2014 03:26AM
I would have had Unfinished Business at both Freedom and Alexander but the engine gearbox broke at Langford. I'm sitting home waiting on parts as the season slips away. Thats not fun either. The parts suppliers which always seem to be behind are really behind toward the end of a season of pulling carnage. I really like pulling with ESP when my Ohio schedule permits. They are a great group of folks and most often put on a great show. Every pulling organization occasionly has a show that doesn't go as well a we all would have liked. With so many variables in pulling things can't go smooth every time.

Re: ESP show in Freedom NY September 01, 2014 06:40AM
Rick thank you for the compliments. We wish you could have made it. We try to put on the best show we can at every event. Freedom was very difficult due to track conditions. Under the 2 inches of clay we were able to work up was basicly solid rock. Not real tire friendly. The 2.6 trucks were able to put on the best show of the season there. At Alexander we had a heavy threat of rain, that's why the late start. We also did not add water to the track because of the rain threat. The East Eden sled has been prety solid all season. Jim works a lot more pulls than just ESP. I give him a lot of credit for how much work he puts into tring to make sure it doesn't break down. I'm not making excuses for the problems we had,just tring to give you a view from the other side of the fence.

Re: ESP show in Freedom NY September 01, 2014 07:33AM
Just some thoughts from the spectator point of view, having been at both Freedom and Alexander this past weekend. The ESP shows rely on fan support due to the majority being standalone events versus an event staged during a fair, therefore the fan is paying for a tractor pull only and not a fair with a tractor pull. So the fan must leave happy with the tractor pull or they may not return.

Regarding the sled, I can be very forgiving regarding things breaking on the sled, it happens to all of them. But I was at the ESP Alexander Fire Dept. July pull in 2013 and when the East Eden sled broke, the Ox Sled was there as a backup and put into service for the rest of the classes that evening. Why then and not this time? As a fan I hope it was not the thinking that at a night time pull the fans will leave mad if the sled breaks, but at a day time pull the fans will wait it out because it is not late at night. As has been said here the East Eden sled is older and does a ton of shows in a season and toward the end of such a schedule is when things break. All the more reason to have a backup sled now instead of early July, if you are going to have one. If I were a promoter and early in the first class the sled broke and could not be fixed even with a couple hours delay, I would have a big public relations problem with refund demands. Sadly it can come a point when some fans will go to pulls dependent on which sled is running or if a backup is going to be present.

Regarding the modified class, the ESP and NYTPA are both suffering through shrinking numbers. An average ESP hook this season is 5 or 6 of them and that depends on borrowing from other areas. While not my favorite class, every time Unfinished Business joins the ESP, the crowd loves it! Thanks for coming to NY from Ohio. But with breakage and depending on mods from a long way away you have a small class. If a promoter is only scheduling 3 classes and needs larger numbers in those 3-- this is not the class to schedule. I am not sure it is going to get bigger unless some who are taking time off come back (Durfee’s) or Fintak’s and Cole return from running the grand national circuit.

And I wish someone could educate a promoter on what is needed in a track for the class they book? From the stands it was obvious the Freedom track was very poor for Light Supers. Other than Henry Everman finding a way down the track to 290, either by genius or luck; it could have been that not one in that field might have got passed 220 feet. I went to Freedom as it is an hour closer to home and it is my local pullers instead of Canfield, after the poor promoter track and class planning, next year it may be back to Canfield. The promoters track made the ESP look very poor in my opinion. From this fan to the promoters, if you want the support of fans at standalone pulling events, you need to do it right or your event may not get beyond its current year.

Re: ESP show in Freedom NY September 01, 2014 08:08AM
The Alexander Fire Dept tried to contact the owners of the OX in march or april several times to hire them for backup at all 3 shows. They never returned any phone calls. Must be too busy with both sleds.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,764, Posts: 229,930, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM