Steering September 01, 2014 09:30AM
Need help on a new steering for a john deere. Don't like the helm and can't do rack. What other choices are there.

Re: Steering September 01, 2014 10:17AM
You can do electric over hydraulic with a little 12v power unit. Few guys have them and really like them

Re: Steering September 01, 2014 01:20PM
Thought about that but im running electric fan,water pump,and fuel with no alternator. Don't think I should do more.

Re: Steering September 01, 2014 01:26PM
Why don't you like the helm? It's an easy setup.

Re: Steering September 01, 2014 01:56PM
The one I have and it's the big one turns hard and have to turn the wheel a lot to get the wheels too turn.

Re: Steering September 01, 2014 04:02PM
If you use good batteries, will have no problem. The pump will not run all the time if you use a pressure switch. We have water pump, fan, water injection and steering, no problem.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 01:19AM
Yanmar,
How do you have a pressure switch wired in? We are running a 12 volt start motor with a pump, kind of like a water injection pump. Running steering, water, water pump, and fan on two batteries. I have the steering ran to a toggle switch now but its kind of a pain to run the throttle in the pits and fiddle with the switch.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 05:59AM
Yammer. This is the guy that bought your clutch a few years back. Lost your number. Do you have any part numbers I could get from you.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 10:36AM
Use a belt driven power steering pump (chev with built in res. works good ) and a 4 port steering valve . surplus center has parts

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 12:40PM
Chevy belt drive steering pump from salvage yard ,cheep. Combine 4 port steering valve from salvage yard also cheep.works great.no problems.thats what we run.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 01:23PM
Someone said to use a steering pump from a forklift used like the helm pump and then use the 12volt hydraulic snow plow pump. Then you use a hurst shifter with the 12volt button to give u power steering when you need it or have the same kinda steering as a helm pump. Has anyone tried this setup??

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 01:56PM
Ebel does it matter what brand of combine.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 02:44PM
I've set up several of them. They work great. The fork lift hand pump will turn it without the pump if need be. The pump makes it work like factory steering. Some guys complain about cost but all my setups go on LPS and 10 PROs. They want it nice and to work. Most of these tractors weigh 4200 to 5000 on the steer axle. Also you don't need a pulley to turn a pump. This can be an issue with higher RPMs. Nothing wrong with the Chevy pumps and combine valves. Just different strokes for different folks.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 04:41PM
To help and Zachp, I will get part number and wiring for you. Maybe a day or too.

Re: Steering September 02, 2014 10:12PM
To the guy who replied to my post. Could you provide me with some more details. I'm considering switch to this kinda setup. Thanks !!

Re: Steering September 03, 2014 01:32AM
Give me your phone number and I will get back to you with part numbers.

Re: Steering September 03, 2014 02:11AM
car pump with steering valve out of one-ninety allis works great

Re: Steering September 03, 2014 10:48AM
I went with new holland because it was close and cheep. But j.d. 6620 and up is the same. We spent less than 100.00 on set up .

Re: Steering September 06, 2014 03:16AM
Use a electric hydraulic pump with a pressure switch, part number 10-C14, from United Electric Controls. Connect violet color wire to solenoid on pump and black wire to switched power source, do not use blue wire. Pump from Northern Tool- $300, Pressure switch, $80. There are 3 tractors in our area that use this set up, all are John Deere. All work fine.

Re: Steering September 06, 2014 04:15AM
Does this 12v pump get plumbed to supply fluid to the original tractor steering pump or is a different helm pump used? Thanks.

Re: Steering September 06, 2014 04:30AM
Plumbed directly to steering and brakes. You need one hose for pressure and one hose for return oil. Very simple. Pump has its own oil tank.

Re: Steering September 06, 2014 04:46AM
Thanks for the reply. We are looking at this for our 1066. We are only using the current stock pump for the steering as we have changed to disc brakes already. We are thinking of changing transmissions which would eliminate the pump. If we can use the setup you described with the existing setup, that may be the best way to go.

Re: Steering September 06, 2014 09:58AM
It may work the same way. We put the pump under the seat inside the cage.

Re: Steering September 17, 2014 03:19PM
When using a 12 volt pump do you want a single or double acting pump. Found some for sale and the guy said he had both.

Re: Steering September 17, 2014 03:50PM
Single

Re: Steering September 17, 2014 11:25PM
Does a double work

Re: Steering September 18, 2014 12:33AM
I don't know, we have a single. Why would you want a double? It may work if you just use one side.

Re: Steering September 18, 2014 02:57AM
Either one will work.

Re: Steering September 19, 2014 04:34AM
I'm not an IH guy... but I think the IH has an open center hydraulic system.. so the pump would run all the time.. you would have to just turn on the pump when you needed to steer.. or look at a different valve.. or pump set up.. There have been a few threads about using the small belt driven automotive pump that would work.. (I know part of your goal is probably to get rid of belts.. but an option.)

Re: Steering December 16, 2014 11:53AM
Hoping somebody can me. Im going to use a john deere 8820 combine steering pump or metering valve whatever its called. the question is, is there a pressure relief valve in it and how much psi can it take. does the fluid build up pressure then go to the return if not steering or does it circulate all the time when not steering.

Re: Steering December 17, 2014 12:23AM
The relief valve should be in the pump.not one in the steering valve.

Re: Steering December 17, 2014 02:27AM
I want to hook up a 12volt hydraulic pump to but I want the pump to turn off with a pressure switch when not steering. Would I need to add a relief valve on the return to do this

Re: Steering December 17, 2014 10:06AM
NO

Re: Steering December 17, 2014 10:21AM
How would the pressure switch work if it just goes to the return

Re: Steering December 18, 2014 02:10AM
Put the pressure switch on the pressure side. There should be no pressure in the return side. There are 3 tractors in this area and are using this set up, all work very good. May want to use an accumulator so pump doesn't cycle so much. Search this topic, all of this has been gone though before.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,624, Posts: 229,684, Members: 3,325.
This forum: Topics: 37,067, Posts: 225,897.

Our newest member JD_8520