Track Building September 01, 2014 02:52PM
Our local lions club is looking at having a truck and tractor pull here in NE Kansas
None of us are track builders, is there any secretes or is there companies that build tracks?
We are trying to budget to see if we can afford a show.
A member was at the Missouri State Fair tractor pull and it was said that they hired a crew
Any ideas what organization built the track and does anyone have contact for them?
Thanks

Re: Track Building September 01, 2014 03:24PM
Do you have to build a new track? Or do youn have one and need to know how to prepare it for a pull?

Re: Track Building September 04, 2014 02:47AM
I know this is an already build track.. But it's a good clip to show how much work goes into getting it ready before the pull..

[m.youtube.com]

Re: Track Building September 01, 2014 11:27PM
Lots of variables. What kind of dirt? How much moisture do you have, and how deep is it? What classes are running, and what kind of tires? Day pull or night pull? You don't want a concrete road, but you need enough moisture to make it groomable so it will stay consistent. Are there any pulls close to you so you could get help from the builder there?

Re: Track Building September 02, 2014 01:17AM
I can get you in contact with who builds the Mo State Fair track as I am part of that crew. Call me if you please my # is 573 819 6479

Re: Track Building September 02, 2014 06:48AM
Klint Tucker 309/353-7034

Re: Track Building September 02, 2014 02:00PM
One thing you do not need is a chisel plow of any type......just an old disc and packer.

Re: Track Building September 03, 2014 02:30PM
Go to old Washington, Ohio the that hasn't helped that track at all. They have a lumber jack contest in the fall. That use to be the best track around now it the biggest piece of junk around. The best thing is to plant some winter wheat on it or mix in some vegetation then disc it under. just not wood takes to long to break down.

Re: Track Building September 03, 2014 02:02PM
Was told alot of tracks are adding saw dust to hold moisture and it makes it easier to fill holes. When do you add it?

Re: Track Building September 04, 2014 01:08AM
I think if your building one from scratch it may take a while. Build it up some so water will run off, I think clay and a little lime mixed in will make it so it packs hard and is workable. One thing is to work it deep now pack the heck out of it for days before you try to use it ( heavy tractor and disc a hour or two a day for week or so. that hrd deep packing will do wonders. the whole thing with wheat or a cover is a great idea after you use it and it works well the first time. I may be wrong but thats the way I would do it. Good Luck

Re: Track Building September 04, 2014 01:48AM
A lot of different philosophies out there for building a track. The one constant I keep hearing is getting organic matter into the track to make it more consistent. As a good friend told me this past weekend, "if it will grow grass it will make a good pulling track." I've been wondering about how tillage radishes might work on a track that is in bad shape, would seem to kill two or three birds with one stone over the course of fall-winter-spring. I've got a track or three close to my back yard that I would pay to see if it works.

Good luck with the event in NE Kansas, I haven't answered a single question but I enjoy the track building side of the sport for whatever reason, maybe because I enjoyed soil science classes from 20ish years ago. I wrote an article on track building a few years back it might be time to revisit it on a different slant.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Track Building September 04, 2014 01:51AM
My family puts on a pull in Michigan each year and what we usually do is spray it with Roundup and 2,4-D the week of the pull usually on a Monday or a Tuesday. The track is not opened up until the day of the pull giving the weeds time to die and so that if it rains that week the track is not overwet. Usually we put on around 1,000 gallons of water on the track and it is preferred after so long of watering for the track to be disked again making it easier for the tractor pulling the water wagon and it also helps putting the water in the track. Then again the track we deal with is hard blue clay and every track is different.

Re: Track Building September 04, 2014 05:05AM
level as best as possible water and disc all day to work in, dont seal it to early, dont be scared of water but if sun goes down can get a little tricky. After watering and discing all day you should know the time of drying out ( or not being to muddy) last load and disc that much time prior to show then pack (wheel packer is best. there is an art to it and prior post all seem to have merrit but if your running haevier classes not as critical lighter ones(minis) if packed to early and hard could be a disaster what ever the case it will be fair cause everyone pulls on same track and to me part of the game is figuring it out.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,687, Posts: 229,792, Members: 3,328.
This forum: Topics: 37,080, Posts: 225,955.

Our newest member Jason