ford 401 questions October 09, 2014 12:58AM
I have a ford 8600 tractor we farm with and the simms injection pump is filling up with fuel. We replaced the lift pump but still fills up. I have a 160hp. 401 truck engine with a p pump on it and was wondering if it is possible to swap the front timing set and fuel system and be able to bolt the front end back on. Any insight from you ford guys would be helpful.

Re: ford 401 questions October 09, 2014 09:55AM
can't tell you if truck timing cover would fit up to the front casting? haven't try it yet? but I beleive if you look at the truck block, you will notice a notch in the block to give room for the Bosch pumps gov. housing? I only seen this style block on the tw35 series and newer? but then anything is possibleSmiling

Re: ford 401 questions October 09, 2014 10:01AM
Thanks for the info i will have to take a look and see if there is a notch.

Re: ford 401 questions October 09, 2014 08:45PM
I know the tractor cover fits the truck block if you buy adapter you can put pump on without changing the cover

Re: ford 401 questions October 09, 2014 10:51PM
Who makes the adapter plate? Looked on line for one but not to much luck.

Re: ford 401 questions October 09, 2014 11:35PM
call Forresters. they have them or know where to get them. I have made them before.I Don't have time right. now. If your not in a hurry I could make one in a couple months

Re: ford 401 questions October 10, 2014 01:11AM
Would you not still have clearance problems with original bosch pump off the truck engine? can't really move the pump centerline away from the idler gear? a pump with the narrow gov. housing would work though?

Re: ford 401 questions October 10, 2014 01:38AM
Why would you waste your time putting a truck governed P pump on a farm tractor? Just get the SIMMS fixed right. Putting a P pump on one for a pulling tractor is another story, but for a farm tractor why build yourself a cobbled up hybrid?

Re: ford 401 questions October 10, 2014 02:15AM
Is there a huge difference in a truck pump and an ag pump? I'm no expert by any means just trying to use what i have to save money...

Re: ford 401 questions October 10, 2014 03:02AM
If your just farming ect, just have the simms pump repaired, The p pump will require a lot of changes, there is not enough clearance for injection lines on top of pump to the square intake manifold, pump will have to be mounted at 2 oclock position, then will have to have different injection lines as old ones wont work, then throttle hook up will have to be customized and then you need a fuel supply pump. Unless your pulling there would be no advantage to doing it. just my opinion.

Re: ford 401 questions October 10, 2014 03:16AM
I planned on using the truck intake its round with square ports looks like it should bolt rite up,also use the injector lines too since they are already bent for that manifold. The injection pump has a fuel supply pump on the side of it, so the throttle linkage is the only thing that will be different...

Re: ford 401 questions October 10, 2014 11:47AM
For 1200.00 dollars I will sell you a good running truck engine with the p pump complete 270 566 2901

Re: ford 401 questions October 11, 2014 02:36PM
It is possible to bolt the front plate and cover onto the 8000, however the front seal is a different size and the front bolster will not fit back on without a huge amount of grinding and cutting, The intake will not bolt onto the 8000 head. You would hate that p-pump on that 8000 it has a rqv governor which will not react quick enough as an ag governor. You will be miles and dollars ahead to fix the simms or install another one.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,778, Posts: 229,950, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009