1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 05:28AM
Can anyone help me out on this problem? Have a 1066 farm tractor and steering is so stiff you have to use the breaks to turn and get the wheel turning to steer. When it first starts up it steers ok, meaning still stiff and need both hands, but once it gets warmed up and near impossible. I put new seals in the steering cylinder and new hand pump, as well as had MCV valves gone through. Any ideas?

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 05:53AM
1. when you had the mcv valve gone thru did you remember to put the little spring and plunger back in the transmission housing?

2. Does the ta shift and brakes work normally and steering is the only thing causing problems or are their other problems?

3. Several possibilities exist, including blown o- rings and gaskets, failed steering safety valve oring or valve, stuck flow divider valve and so on

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 06:13AM
1. yes i did
2. TA works great. actually put a brand new one in thinking that was the issue. For the breaks you have to push the pedals all the way down and then they engage. When you push them down all the way, then they finally gain pressure. only problem is the steering. The breaks have been like that for 7 years when I got it.

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 07:42AM
I encountered the same problem a few years back.

The TA and the brakes worked. Steering didn't.

I created a lot of unnecessary work. When it was all said and done, I changed the
hydraulic filter that did the trick.

I couldn't believe it.

Might be worth a shot.

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 08:18AM
forgot to mention that as well. Changed hydraulic filter a few times now. works great for about a few days then back to the stiff steering.

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 12:53AM
If changing the filter cures the problem for a few days then you are having some sort of serious failure occurring in the tractor. Most likely the pinion bearing is flaking and filling your filter. When you change the filter what does the bypass screen look like?

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 10:37PM
Could be steering hand pump. Mine failed, caused hard steering all e time till it completely failed. Then you couldn't move the steering wheel 1/4 of an inch. Let it cool down and you could steer again just hard.

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 09:40AM
Has the same problem on a 1466 diff was going out putting fine shavings in oil clogging the filter

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 02:08PM
Check you're priority regulator valve and steering relief valve.have you checked any pressures anywhere.steering is priority. It gets all the oil first then brakes then ta then lube.another thing are spindles loose.jack it up and c if you can turn them easy.

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 02:24PM
actually I think its called the proporctioning valve

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 02:09PM
we had that same problem once with a 1456 we ended up rebuilding the steering valve on top of the ta housing work great after that

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 02:47PM
You must have the last 1066 still being used for farm work. All the rest of them have been made into pullers-----hang on to it-might be worth some big $$$$$$$$$$$ someday!!!!!!!

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 03:08PM
when did this problem occur? .

did you replace the mcv pump? i see you said hand pump, were you referring to the mcv pump. that is 98% of the problem most times. on the very botom of the mcv valve body there is a plug you can attach a pressure gauge to. This is where you will check the TA pressure. if you are loosing steering the TA will also loose pressure if the pump is weak. The first plug up the mcv facing the back can be removed with tractor off then roll tractor to purge air and regain steering. if the tractor should start be prepared to shut off immediately as hyd oil will spray out toward the rear of the tractor at high pressure. If you have a hydraulic seat that leaks or is no longer used this will cause the pressure to drop off on the mcv pump.seat line has to be plugged not returned to transmission.
Floyd Isbell 570 637 1311

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 03:18PM
spindles need to be replaced as the steering is getting sloppy. I never thought of that being the issue. THe steering problem occurred after a few hundred hours after we had the engine overhauled. floyd, I was referring to the pump that the steering wheel attaches to if that help. Thanks for all the assistance. Yes we use this tractor for farm work solely. I love to put it on the chopper for corn with the 3 row head and put on the soil finisher in the spring. Hope to get the steering fixed so it is more pleasurable to operate!

Re: 1066 steering problems October 16, 2014 09:58PM
you got a pretty good pto clutch if your pulling a 3 row head!!!!

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 01:03AM
we used a 1206 then a 1486 on a 3 row chopper for years pto held up great

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 03:07AM
Behind the hyd filter there is a metal plate that you pull out, behind that plate is a square o-ring on some models that can fail and maybe cause this a lot of folks don't know it is in there. It is found in rear end section of parts book. Hope this helps

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 03:20AM
part # 382247R1 square o-ring

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 08:27AM
We use a 1206 and 1086 on a 881 with 3 row head also.works good no prblms.

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 08:33AM
If you haven't replaced the MCV pump that more than likely is you're prblm.the hand pumps hardly ever have prblms other than leak once and a while.66 series do not have the steering valve on top of the ta housing like 06&56 series.you try bleeding you're brakes also.

Re: 1066 steering problems August 16, 2020 05:36AM
my 1066 it seems kinda stops puling when turned to the left sharply but as soon as you turn it to the it picks right back up and takes off...almost like it looses hydraulic fluid and picks it up on the right turn or something ...clutch also gets hard to press at time ..any ideas

Re: 1066 steering problems October 17, 2014 08:59AM
There are lots of good tips here on diagnosing the hydraulic part of your steering issue, Just for kicks check the thrust bearings in the bottom of the front end knees.. These often make these near 50 year old tractors steer VERY HARD..

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,766, Posts: 229,932, Members: 3,337.
This forum: Topics: 37,095, Posts: 226,025.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM