Top Ten Pulling States October 28, 2014 05:45AM
As another season has come to a close and it seems the page is getting a little quiet, I figured I'd take a minute and share a thought I've had running through my head for quite some time:

What are the Top Ten States for Pulling?

A thought like that is pretty dangerous, and I kinda like that, but studies show that people LOVE lists. David Letterman has spent 30 plus years with a list as part of his arsenal, so why not here too? My intent here is to inspire some well-thought-out and good-natured conversation about what states are in that list and what states aren't.

My goal for this initial thread is to offer some honorable mentions and number 10 in my opinion. MY opinion, and thats all it is. I do cover a lot of miles every year in the sport and see about 8000 hooks per year but I still could be wrong, very wrong.

Another thing, don't take any of this personal...it's for entertainment and conversation purposes only. I would hope that the conversation would change my rankings!

So....here we go:

Honorable Mention, NO particular order: Mississippi, Alabama, South Dakota, Minnesota, Iowa, Texas, California, Oklahoma, Florida, Georgia, the Carolinas, Virginia, Tennessee, Nebraska, Washington and Oregon.
Some heavy hitters in that crowd, I know, I know.

Number 10: New York. ESP, NYTPA, WNYTPA. A fan in New York can see everything from an Antique to a four-engine Mod on any given summer weekend. The season for some clubs is brief but very busy and no less exciting. Transfer sled to stone boat pulling, it's all there.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube
TwitterFacebookThe HOOK Magazine Blog

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 28, 2014 12:59PM
Interested in this for sure. I don't see near 8000 hooks per year so I'm not going to give a ranking. Although, it seems that the top 5 would be Midwestern states.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 30, 2014 10:07AM
What about your home state Kentucky .There 3or 4 different hooks every week and it runs April till mid October ,And don't forget about the farm show.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 31, 2014 03:19PM
I dont know but it looks to me that New York and Pennsylvania have a lot and right in the midwest has alot Pn. and NY seem to have some high quality builders as well

Why Delmar VA October 30, 2014 12:18PM
Just curious as to what your reasoning was for picking this area? I feel like you got side tracked on other posters instead of giving the pulling history of Del-mar. Please expound.

Re: Why Delmar VA October 30, 2014 02:55PM
I am not referring to a singular sanctioning body. There is an exceptional amount of activity in this little pocket of pulling. Google the states there and see how much pulling is going on. Lots of growth on antique side of things, active East Coast events and other sanctioning bodies in the area. Is it a solid number 8? No. 10-9-8 are interchangeable in my mind, I already said that, and 3-4 hon. mentions could've cracked the top 10. 7-1 are locks, in my opinion.

Remember, I'm the only one that keeps up with everything from an antique to a mod. Therefore, I measure the sport in a comprehensive manner for this list.

I'm having fun with this, hope the rest of you are too. Defend your turf, please! And I appreciate those of you doing it, that you've done it like pros.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Why Delmar VA October 30, 2014 06:06PM
Well I keep up with antiques up to mods too...just on a way smaller level. Definently not to the extent that you do. With the hook magazine I've seen how you keep up with antiques and as you could see with my rankings I put Ohio #1 and we have some of the nicest looking and best running antiques out there...from Spillman's and Schmucker's John Deere A's and G's to some of the tough running antique style v8s with Kibler's stray dog case 600. In Ohio, we also have this thing called Bowling Green(BG, NTPC, Pulltown, or whatever you want to call it) some of you may have heard of it. Home of the NTPA. I also believe that we in Ohio are spoiled with the best state level organization the OSTPA. Ohiopuller1979 also mentioned clubs and organizations and there are so many more than what he listed like the OMTPA and Darke County Pullers...I could go on and on with them but I won't. Just trying to sway you a little maybe lol! But with people saying stuff about the del mar va region I don't know if they know the amount of pulling and pullers that exists in that area. East coast pullers put on a good show and have some diverse fields of tractors and trucks and the interstate pullers put on a good show. Full pull productions ventures into that area as well...plus it is two smaller states along with the northeast Virginia area makes for a smaller area with a high concentration of pulls. I would say Maryland would be the best of that region. When you started this I didn't expect this twist though.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 01:18AM
You must not be as familiar with Iowa and Nebraska pulling. Per capita there's a very high percentage of pulling vehicles in those two states.

One would be hard pressed not to put Missouri #1... I suppose Ohio or Wisconsin would have something to say about it. Missouri has got a huge number of limited pro stocks, lots of pulling trucks, lots of hot farm & pro farm tractors.

Good topic... if someone had the time, it would be nice to see some stats comparing total number of pulling vehicles to state population. Or just look at total number of pulling vehicles and number of pulling organizations. Or look at the number of higher horse power vehicles. It may depend on what classes you value the most.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States-Number 9 October 29, 2014 02:09AM
Thanks for the responses. Folks don't be afraid to defend your home turf. I left a state out of the Hon. Mention, Kansas, by the way. You all will think I have a pretty D%^M convoluted way of thinking once this is done, but thats how I processed it.

Face in crowd, you're right, those states are great pulling states, I have some very good friends in those states who have afforded me the opportunity to know the quality of what goes on in both Iowa and Nebraska and I've snapped a few thousand photos in both states over the last 5 years. And for the record, I put some of my home turf out of the top ten, fully knowing whats what in their world. For example, Athens Alabama and Springfield Tennessee are home to some of the best there is in pulling, 5 decades worth of pulling experience. However since this isn't a top ten pulling town list and as a state list, this is how I had to do it.

The rub here is that there are some awesome pulling states on the outside looking in, thats the fact of my opinion, if that makes any sense.

Number 9: Michigan. From the one end of the sport to the other, Michigan stands out. A rich history of NTPA pulling and a high-quality profile of pullers that compete on multiple levels in PPL and NTPA gives it the nod here. Regardless of the class, you will find a Michigan name playing at the top of it, whether its a Farmall M going 3.5 mph or a four engine mod running 35 mph. Quite frankly, I could flip 10-9-8 amongst their spots and be happy with it.

Here's another thing to note: By my records, there's pulling of some sort in every state but Hawaii. There's a small group in Alaska that plays up there when the weather and soil is fit, and thats a fairly small window.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2014 04:59AM by Bryan Lively.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 02:58AM
I think Missouri, Ohio, and Kentucky will be in the top 5.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 03:51AM
I would think Wisconsin has to be very close to the top 10 or at least an honorable mention based on the number of pulls throughout the state at local level all the way up to NTPA and PPL National level events.

Just my opinion, not to mention the number of pullers that pull with WTPA, NTPA, Badger State/PPL, Tri - State Pullers, PI Motorsports, NEW Motorsports, Central Truck and several other established circuits in the state. May not be several 1000 events but many events in the state nearly every weekend from late April - until early October.

Any other badger pullers/fans out there agree with me please feel to comment.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 04:34AM
1.Ohio
2.Wisconsin
3.Kentucky
4.Indiana
5.Missouri
6.Illinois
7.New York
8.Tennessee
9.Michigan
10.Pennsylvania

I think you could make a tough case for any of the top 4 I ranked to be #1. I made this list taking into consideration state organizations in the states, regional pulls in the states, grand national pulls in the states, ppl champions tour pulls in the states, super national pulls(BG, Tomah, and Chapel Hill) or other prestigious pulls(NFMS, Enderle, and Indy). Also the pullers and past pullers out of those states...and roots of the organizations and associations.

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 05:08AM
Good list Chip but the remainder of my list is going to be quite different and safe to say, convoluted a bit.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 05:22AM
Ohio hands down is number 1. It is the birthplace of NTPA, but aside from that look at modern day pulling in Ohio and the organizations within it.
NTPA
OSTPA
COATPA
COTPC
MICHINDOH
FULL PULL PRODUCTIONS
CENTRAL OHIO MINI MODS
OHIO MOD ROD PULLERS
GLENFORD PULLS

There is pulling action all over the state from May to October 7 days a week.
The pullers out of Ohio is a who's who of pulling. Would be very surprised to see any other state at number 1.

Also the builders in Ohio October 29, 2014 06:46AM
GMS
REI
COLUMBUS DIESEL
FOWLER ENGINES
WIPE OUT
MIDWEST WHEEL
ADVANCED CHASSISo
CENPECO
HUMPCO
METS MACHINE SHOP
BECKETT MACHINE

I'm not biased or anything

Re: Also the builders in Ohio October 29, 2014 07:13AM
Cyclone

Re: Also the builders in Ohio November 01, 2014 01:27AM
Powerparts engineering & wind it tight should bein the list also !

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 08:58AM
come on Bryan you have to defend the home turf.. Kentucky would have to make the top 10 lol

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 09:19AM
This may very well be the most retarded topic on this forum I have ever seen. Who cares what order someone puts this in??

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 10:01AM
Like the song says haters gonna hate. Is kinda of a lull time in the pulling world so have a little fun and lighten up. Bring on number 8,

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 29, 2014 11:18AM
TEXAS!!! Should be #1 ,We ain't done yet, and we start again in April.

Top Ten Pulling States Number 8 October 30, 2014 03:02AM
Convoluted, adj. : extremely complex and difficult to follow.

Here's where we get a little convoluted, the last time.

Number 8, the Del-Mar-Va region. Yes I know, its not a "state" Yes, VA got stuck in the Honorable Mention pack already, and again, I have changed my mind dozens of times on the rankings. Now that I put it to the keyboard, The three states united by location, sanctioning bodies, and growth at all levels of the sport are a top ten lock to me. As stated 10-9-8 could flip-flop and I wouldn't be unhappy.

From here on in, I have very strong feelings on the placings, and it might surprise some of you who is in the top five and who isn't.

and for those not entertained and think this is retarded, I'm sorry your state wasn't in the top ten. Awesome pulling state, go there at least once a year, but on the outside looking in unfortunately.

My friend from Texas: Pulling is big in Texas, went there in May, enjoyed myself, enjoyed the pull, and enjoyed the BBQ. Problem is Texas is BIG and the pullers are spread out enough it seems that logistics is an issue. There's actually pulling there more than you think, some indoor pulling in February that if time permitted I would attend.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Don't know why the other post, posted up in tge thread October 30, 2014 12:38PM
It seems odd that an organization that wasn't formed until 2013 would make the top ten. Further explanation?

Re: Don't know why the other post, posted up in tge thread October 30, 2014 08:00PM
Thanks for putting this on the other board. We'd have morons fighting over the the ntpa vs. ppl dead horse.

Top Ten Pulling States, Happy Halloween Edition October 31, 2014 02:27AM
Since it is Halloween and I won't be able to post anything tomorrow as I attend a NATPA event in Mason, Michigan, Today will be a treat of sorts and some might consider it a trick. Two picks today!

Number 7: Pennsylvania. Rich with pulling history and currently active across the forms of pulling. Exceptional quantity and quality of clubs/associations that call Pennsylvania home. From one end of the state to the other you're going to find something for everyone to enjoy. The Harrisburg facility is by far the best indoor pulling facility in the nation, as a puller remarked this past weekend at the PPL banquet about the ability to stage indoors and never getting off asphalt to park. Two more words to mention that need no historical explanation: The Buck.

Number 6: Kentucky. Breeding ground to not only champion horses but also the origin (or at a minimum a home for the expansion of) of most truck classes as well as LSS and LLSS. Farm Show, and home to the best pulling convention in the world in Broadbent arena, a literal pulling "United Nations."
For my friends spewing their RC cola as they read that, it's my opinion and thats all. Five years ago a dead-lock top five. An explanation of that statement will require a face to face response, not enough room here.

REMINDER: ENTERTAINMENT PURPOSES ONLY.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Top Ten Pulling States, Number Five November 02, 2014 02:28PM
Number Five/Four, A Tie: Indiana and Wisconsin

Both states deeply invested in the pro ranks with consideration to events, pullers and builders. Rich in pulling history, tradition, all of the key markers you can provide across spectrum of pulling--both states score equally well in my opinion. The one thing I think they share and it reinforces their status to me is how different styles of pulling are embraced. Be it a stone boat pull in Indiana or a blacktop pull in Wisconsin, there are some niche events out there. The top three should be obvious; how they stack up--we'll have to wait and see.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Re: Top Ten Pulling States, Number Five November 03, 2014 08:12AM
There's way more pulling in PA than you realize

Re: Top Ten Pulling States October 31, 2014 07:11AM
1.Ohio
2.Missouri
3.Kentucky
4.Indiana
5.Wisconsin
6.Illinois
7.Tennessee
8.Michigan
9.New York
10.Nebraska

Re: Top Ten Pulling States November 03, 2014 03:41AM
1-Wisconsin
2-Ohio
3-Iowa
4-Kentucky
5-Missouri
6-Tennessee
7-Pennsylvania
8-Illinois
9-Indiana
10-Minnesota

Re: Top Ten Pulling States November 03, 2014 04:39AM
1. Ohio
2. Pennsylvania
3. Indiana
4. Wisconsin
5. Illinois
6. New York
7. Nebraska
8. Iowa
9. Kentucky
10. Missouri

Re: Top Ten Pulling States November 03, 2014 04:50AM
there,s no way Pennsylvania is in the top 10, what do they have, sure 10% of all pullers are from Chambersburg but that's not enough. and putting NY ahead of Nebraska... Iowa ,,,. Kentucky,,, Missouri makes no sense either

Re: Top Ten Pulling States November 03, 2014 05:35AM
We have keystone nationals in harrisburg we have the buck interstate truck and tractor pullers USA east in our state as well as a lot of pullers in all classes of pulling and you said it chambersburg home of Forrester farm equipment a huge blue tractor base if its blue and pulls chances are the Forrester's had something to do with it

Re: Top Ten Pulling States November 03, 2014 08:26AM
In addition to the Buck, Keystone and Interstate. USA East and a club out of the northeast corner of the state run as well.

I can think of a load of Super Farms, Mod Turbo, Pro Farms, Hot Farms, diesel trucks and twd trucks that run from PA

A lot of pulling across the entire state pulling in a lot of areas...

recap and number three November 03, 2014 04:06PM
To recap:
10) New York
09) DelMarVa
08) Michigan
07) Pennsylvania
06) Kentucky
4-5) Indiana/Wisconsin

Number 3: Illinois. A pulling giant, what more can you say? High profile PPL and NTPA events, lots of pulling history. There's a who's-who of pulling elite that call the state home. Enough pulling there that a whole magazine could be devoted to it...oh wait that did happen for a time.

It's hard to describe Illinois. For me it is an "oh you didnt know???" underlying current here to describe it. I honestly don't think I spend enough time there giving the spotlight to the high quality local action that goes on there.

Thanks to everyone who is stepping up to voice your choices. I still like mine pretty well. Will you all agree with the final placings? We'll see.

Bryan Lively -

Photos

Youtube

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2014 04:07PM by Bryan Lively.

Re: recap and number three November 17, 2014 08:48AM
So it just ends at 3?? Come on, the suspense is killing me!!

Re: recap and number three November 17, 2014 10:05AM
It doesn't end at 3, here is the link to the top two.

[www.pulloff.com]

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,771, Posts: 229,938, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,096, Posts: 226,027.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009