Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 28, 2014 04:07PM
I got a used Garrett turbo, it had been on a superfarm. Took the compressor housing off and there is a bit of black grunge stuck hard on the inside of the housing. I tried soaking in the solvent tank for a couple days-no result. Tried brake cleaner and scrubbing= just the light surface stuff came off. Tried soaking in carb cleaner=no removal of grunge.. Tried acetone= same deal, really no impact on the grunge... Any ideas??

Re: Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 29, 2014 02:15AM
Best way to clean it is glass bead blast or light sand blast or blast material of crushed nut shells. Just be careful whatever material it is isn't too aggressive or you can damage the aluminum if your not careful. When your done clean it up good, run a tap into any open bolt holes to clean them out and your good to go.

BigRed712

Re: Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 29, 2014 06:10AM
Sounds like bio diesel scum. Try Easy Off Oven Cleaner

Re: Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 29, 2014 08:16AM
I would try an ultrasonic cleaner. Many years ago, we cleaned some pretty nasty stuff at work using one. Check with a good diesel injection repair shop and see if they have one.

Another option might be a soda blaster or one that uses dry ice.

Re: Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 29, 2014 12:16PM
I'll second that ultrasonic idea..........co2 or soda would also work.

Re: Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 29, 2014 01:50PM
Let soak in Simple Green house hold cleaner.
Cleans egr cooler and intakes like new overnight .
Do not dilute.. Fill housing and let sit, then rinse with water or pressure wash.

Re: Cleaning a compressor housing.. October 30, 2014 03:24PM
Thanks guys, I tried Aircraft paint stripper and it had no impact on the grunge. I removed what I could reach with a gasket scraper (very gently) then went to a cross hatch buff wheel as deep as I could in the defuser.. Did a slight polish with my porting kit, It is as good as its gonna get. It had to leave today for powder coating with some other parts. I assume we will just reinstall that dirt next summer..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/30/2014 03:25PM by gonzo 1066.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,948, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,033.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009