Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. October 31, 2014 04:16AM
Do Not want to submit incorrect information in article that will be submitted in Hook Magizine. We believe Armada Fair, Armada Mich has one of the oldest ongoing scheduled tractor pulls in existance, if not THE oldest. Armada's first pull was 1951 and we have written documation to prove it. Anyone have pictures or written info to prove otherwise? Internet has 1929 article of motorized pull, but fails to give info like, ongoing and was it compitition with others. I'm sure this will give me feed back. We think Armada is oldest, ongoing pull since 1951. Anyone else older? Thanks in advance. PS I'm not writing the article, please excuse the spelling.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. October 31, 2014 07:01AM
Bowling Green, Missouri is my guess.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. October 31, 2014 07:04AM
ive read what clint says too.go on facebook to the good ol days of tractor pulling,we discussed this last summer,i think someone from that area had some articles on it too..

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. October 31, 2014 03:06PM
I was told once that Simco (spelling) WI was the oldest pull, but don't hold me to it, and I don't know if they have it any more.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/31/2014 03:06PM by jeremyroff.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. November 01, 2014 03:10AM
Good call Ed. I think I have heard that BGMO is the oldest still going, but we have to be right there in the top 3.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. November 01, 2014 07:33AM
Idaville Indiana just celebrated 65 years of tractor pulling this summer.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. November 01, 2014 11:31AM
I've done research to find out where the first tractor pull was held. I found an article in the June 10th, 1951 edition of the Pittsburgh Press. It states that a town 80 miles to the north of Pittsburgh called Sheakleyville, PA was the site of the "Nations first tractor pulling contest..." Below is the link to the article. It is at the bottom of page 6 in the middle of the page in the article titled“Town of 100 Hails First Century".

[news.google.com]

As the article above does not exactly say when the first tractor was, I have done some additonal research. The local newspaper for the area is The Record Argus. I have a pdf file of page 2 from Monday August 20th 1951 (sorry I wasn't able to attached the pdf file). Its says the town of Sheakleyville completed it's week long festival known as Sheakleyville Homecoming (this is still an active fair locally).In the article it says that fair held it's "6th annual tractor pulling contest" with over 1000 people watching. It lists the name of the winners with their distance, weight of the sled, and the distance pulled. That would mean that the first pull was in 1946. I was born and raised in the area. My grandfather owned and operated the Minneapolis Moline dealership in the town of Sheakleyville. Our family has a collection of over 100 Molines, and a green one here or there too. We have in our collecton the tractor that won the first tractor pull. I'm currently working with the people here in the community to find pictures and other items to validate the claim that Sheakleyville, PA is the site of the first tractor pull.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. November 02, 2014 01:55AM
Thanks for the responses. Armada Fair Pull, ONE of the oldest, perhaps in the top 4 or 5? The oldest in Michigan I believe. Thanks again for the responses. Article in Hook Magizine will be published in upcomming issue.

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. November 02, 2014 12:12PM
Good job Ed. I was 12 years old the first time I pulled at Armada, 43 years ago, Now my girls do the pulling and love it. Armada pull is the best. R,

Re: Oldest tractor pull known? Armada, Michigan?. November 03, 2014 02:53PM
Berrien County Youth Fair in Berrien Springs has copies from 1948 fairbook showing committee assignments, rules for pull, and entry fee and payout. For copies contact office at 269 473 4251.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,746, Posts: 229,888, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,992.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM