Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 17, 2014 07:15AM
Bought a reasonable set of 436 pistons that have been machined down to fit the 466 crank. They also have the "witch hat" machined out. These pistons were intended for a hot farm style tractor. Would they be ok in a farm stock engine? 3lm-466 turbo limit and model 100 pump. I havent compared them cc wise to 466 pistons, but it seems to me that you would lose everything you attempted to gain the moment you machined the "witch hat" out.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 23, 2014 03:57AM
They will work great. That design is for limited turbo applications.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 23, 2014 04:04AM
I ran a set of 436s cut .250 work okay with boost under 60psi, at 75 it kept stretching head bolts, till we cut the compression more, and installed studs.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 24, 2014 08:40AM
With the valve reliefs cut to .250", there sure isnt much left on the crown of the piston. Did you machine out the witch hat, or did you leave the combustion chamber alone? I have a complete set of 436 pistons that are in fantastic shape. Who would you recommend to machine them? Colberg did the set that I currently have done. The bowl is widened out significantly over the stock ones. Very shallow, and no point left in the center.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 24, 2014 11:06AM
Any engine builder should be able to cut them down, I had a lot of head gasket, and injector sleeve trouble, pretty sure it will actually raise your compression if you only take out the witches hat. I taped around mine, and used a syringe to c.c. the cavity, and valve reliefs. They will work, widen the bowl out alot. I think around b 85cc will put it at around 12 to 1, have a builder back that up.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 24, 2014 11:28AM
Had same problems as you .... Injector sleeves and head gaskets ! I left the witch hat in the pistons and a half a season later , I figured out the injectors were hitting the witch hat in pistons and that was what all the problems were . I took those pistons out and went back to truck pistons . I do have to say , that motor never needed either !! Started like a champ

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 24, 2014 12:52PM
So is the general consensus then to just stick with truck pistons based on your experience? I surely am not looking for 12:1 ratios. These would be used in a farm stock application. 13mm model 100 and a 2.31 billit wheel 3lm looking turbo. No water is permissible. I would think fuel would be in the 400-500cc range. Truck pistons would be easier, but I am more reluctant to go the route that will perform better than to go the route that is easiest on me as an operator. I do appreciate all input. I would like to run something other that basic truck pistons and cam, but not if it has been proven that those parts wotk the best.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2014 01:33PM by neilsroom.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 24, 2014 01:05PM
I only used them because that's what I found first to convert a 414 to a 466, if I had 466 pistons I would use them, not sure 436s will perform any better, it will crank easy.

Re: Cut down 436 pistons for a 466 farm stock application? November 24, 2014 02:38PM
436 pistons on a 466 (5.35 stroke) INCREASES the compression ratio and the reason for cutting them is to get them back to the ratio range you are actually trying to run. Biggest reason is when you cut valve relifs for a bigger cam you lower the stock ratio SOOOOOOOO you start with a different compression height piston (ie 436) so when relifs are cut and tops are massaged they will or can be left with high compression ratio for use with "small turbos" If you are running "bigger" turbos then there is absolutely no good reason to use 436 in a 466 application when you are gonna end up cut to 12-13 to 1 ratio. Unless you truely believe you want a shallow but wide bowl.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,744, Posts: 229,886, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,086, Posts: 225,992.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM