4010 brakes November 25, 2014 07:09AM
I know this topic has been discussed before but i couldnt find what i was looking for, I am going to put wildwood pedals and master cylanders in but still use the stock brakes. Do i need to change the o rings in the rear end and if so with what and from where. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Also after this conversion what would be the best fluid to run in the system?

Re: 4010 brakes November 25, 2014 02:02PM
why wouldn't you buy the hats that slip over your wheel studs and run disc brakes then bolt on your wildwood cylinders so much simpler.

Re: 4010 brakes November 25, 2014 08:23PM
I think i used Dot 5 brake fluid in my Wilwood master cylinders on my 4010. Don't put Hydraulic oil in your master cylinders. Been There, swelled the o-rings in master cylinders. They do make o-ring that are resistaint to brake fluid. Check on McMaster-Carr web sight. Or you could put a stock o-ring in a bowl of brake fluid for a few weeks and see what happens to the o-ring. Might try Dot 5 brake fluid and see how it affects the o-ring. Good Luck ! Pulling tractors is like College, You have to spend money to become educated. LOL

Re: 4010 brakes November 25, 2014 11:44PM
David,
you need to use VITON o rings. mcmaster carr has them. tried all the above before i went with the viton orings. the better setup although more money is what jd 5020 said. the stock brake pucks take alot of pumping to get pressure before each run. hope this helps
also put the new cardboard backup rings in that fit beside the orings. get those from deere

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/25/2014 11:45PM by Buckeyecrewcab.

Re: 4010 brakes November 26, 2014 01:52AM
I tryed that with myn they didn't work good enough so I just switched to disc brakes, ther best way to go

Re: 4010 brakes November 26, 2014 04:57AM
All good info and accurate so far. Something you should attempt to factor in is the drag the factory inboard brakes have after you pump them up before leaving the line, it matters. But if you're up against a tight budget, you gotts do what you gotta do........

Re: 4010 brakes November 27, 2014 11:11AM
I used manual brakes off of a JD 2640 works well just make a piese for bottom of ur original pedels and new lines a hell of a lot cheaper

Re: 4010 brakes November 28, 2014 02:53AM
This is just my opinion but I have put the viton orings in for customers when we were building their tansmissions but they have had nothing but trouble with them. On the other hand, there are a few local tractors running wilwood master cylinders and they have no problems as long as you get all the old hydraulic oil out of the brake system. These are still running the original Deere orings. I feel that the viton orings are too soft and they roll when you apply the brake. Then when you let off the brake pedal, the rolled oring causes the piston to move back in. When you are trying to bleed the lines, you can never get anywhere. The pistons just keep going in and out instead of pushing the brake pads up against the brake plates. This would be great for decreasing friction while pulling but if your brakes don't work, it is definately a problem.

So I would recommend just leaving the old Deere orings in place and dont worry about it. It might also be that the old Deere orings have flat spots from being in there for so long and this prevents them from rolling also. The tractors that have the original orings dont even need to be pumped up before pulling.

Re: 4010 brakes November 28, 2014 08:26AM
I am running wildwood master cylinders on my jd puller with stock brake setup,got all of hyd oil out of lines and went with dot 5 fluid. takes a while to bleed but when you are done they work great,no problem with stock o rings yet.2years later.Never have to pump them up like J&R said. when I first installed them I had them pumped up to tight,have to jack each side up and let them bleed back to half pedal, they will slide the tires if you push hard. They work fine.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,777, Posts: 229,949, Members: 3,338.
This forum: Topics: 37,098, Posts: 226,034.

Our newest member Jacklovik2009