green diamond engines/ red diamond engines December 05, 2014 01:49PM
I have been considering repowering my 1949 International pickup with a 263 or 301 type of overhead valve gas engine. Truck currently has a green diamond flat head engine and replacement parts are scarse. I see the red diamonds are often used to replace the 301, so I wonder if the green diamond and red diamonds used the same bellhousings. If they did, I should be able to buy a 301 combine motor with rearfacing starter and be almost there......

Re: green diamond engines/ red diamond engines December 05, 2014 02:57PM
A Red Diamond was the big block 6 cylinder gas engine used in the heavy duty '50 & '60 model year trucks. Think it was very early '70 when they ceased production. The 372, 406, 450 & 501 cubic inch engines were used in the "R" series heavy duty trucks. The engine was a valve in head. Very popular engine & truck back in the era. A lot of the freight companies used the 450 & 501 in their road semis, likewise farmers used those engines in 10 wheelers plus our school district had several 'pusher' busses with the 450, one of which we rode in few a few years.

The real expert about these engines is Floyd Isbell, who has a shop in PA working with pullers. He posts on here from time to time, too.

The 220, 241, 265, 282 and 308 are the 6 cylinder Blue Diamond pickup & medium duty truck overhead valve engines that replaced the Green Diamond. The farm tractor engines were almost identical in cubic inches. I'm not certain what the real difference is between the truck & tractor engines.

Our '57 IH A-160 truck had the 265 with a 4 speed coupled with the popular 2 speed electric shift. This was a deluxe running truck compared to the '49 Ford F-5 with the flathead 226 cube 6 cylinder with a 4 speed. That motor did not produce much power. I hated it. Could overrev quite easily but I could never get it to blow up. Years later when dating a high school girl, we attended the local stock car circle track. I was appalled to see all the cars running this Ford engine. I asked why. The answer was always that it was an indestructible engine. Yep. I related to that. My older brother has the Ford F-5 in his collection, still unrestored.

Author:

Your Email:

Subject:

Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically. If the code is hard to read, then just try to guess it right. If you enter the wrong code, a new image is created and you get another chance to enter it right.
Global: Topics: 38,748, Posts: 229,892, Members: 3,334.
This forum: Topics: 37,087, Posts: 225,995.

Our newest member DANNY.WAINSCOTT@YAHOO.COM